Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: RJ-97 & Jrcro067ís 2016 Alaska Trip

(Threadstarter)

Re: RJ-97 & Jrcro067ís 2016 Alaska Trip

Sorry for not closing out but my first week home was a workers nightmare!! While we wait for Randy’s pictures and report:

For me? Great trip home via Hyder and Southern BC with many beautiful miles of scenes and wildlife. In zig zagging down I came upon a town that sounded familiar but could not place it. Osoyoos? Uhm, it’s the home of Lees-ur-Lite. I pulled in and met Dawn the current owner (Daughter of Mr. Lees who founded the company) She welcomed me in for a nice tour.
    Attachment 18970Attachment 18971Attachment 18972

After a couple days visiting friends in Jackson WY it was off to enjoy the 4th and fireworks in Denver with Tammie. Replaced rear tire then dead headed home to Atlanta.

Post Script:
    To finalize my notes with some reflections that really stand out for me:
    - Four weeks is not enough time. Really, it’s not.
    - Spend more time in SW BC, beautiful ride.
    - I L.O.V.E Provincial Parks. Cheap and free firewood and always a biker willing to share a spot.
    - Remember to check your kick stand before dismounting. Bikes are heavy.
    - Elevation creates pressure on liquids.
    - Take your winter sleeping bag. Brrr.
    - Pictures do not do the scenery justice.
    - It will rain, it will hail, be patient, it will clear-up.
    - Lakes and streams are clear and cold but make for good bathing opportunities

Was GaryGene stalking us?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0378.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	535.8 KB 
ID:	18976

You think MC tires are expensive?

Name:	IMG_0646.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	521.4 KB 
ID:	18977

Summer sleeping bags? Not a good idea!

Name:	IMG_0697.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	497.1 KB 
ID:	18978
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1021.JPG   IMG_1020.JPG   IMG_1024.JPG  
    Jim & Tammie (not the Bakers)
    2011 FLHTK
    Lees-ure Lite

Couple stats and photos to spark your interest and hold you over.
    As for stats, this is not all encompassing, but gives you an idea.

For me, total mileage: 10,952. Days: 33 Gas (Total in U.S.): $846 Avg gas price (based on 7 fill-ups) in Canada with U.S. conversion: $3.94/gal
    Conversion rate: Canadian $ x .78% -or- .78 cents US = 1 dollar Canadian.

Stopped for landslide clearing on the Chief Joseph Highway.

Little chilly in Glacier NP.

Laid back

We have thoroughly enjoyed all the posts, thanks for writing it all up for us.
    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Good to hear from you guys, great pics! Now that you've been the next trip up will be easier to plan for. Next time I go back will be to see more of the southern part of the state. Glad you guys had a safe trip!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Jim pretty much reported on the first half of the trip so I’ll just provide a couple additional photos to fill in some dry spots.

We were planning to surprise WIllie and Bev at the KOA in Bar Nunn WY, but of course they couldn't make it and the surprise was on us. Anyway, storms were heading in with heavy rain and high winds and preparations were needed. I decided to set up under the shelter while Jim decided to test out his Kelty Tarp skills. He decided his bike was more important than himself; sacrifices we make.

Jim’s setup.

Mine.

Which is more important. Obviously,the bike

As Jim mentioned, next day we were planning to stay in the mountains west of Cody at the State Park but storms forced us to again choose a KOA on the eastern side of Cody. The only good things were we stayed out of the rain and we got free pancakes the next morning.

Packing to leave Cody

Now to eliminate an additional item from my bucket list. Chief Joseph and Beartooth Highways

Start of Chief Joseph Highway.

Just a view of the road.

This is Bill. A fellow we met at the KOA in Cody.

We keep getting reports all morning that the summit of Beartooth was closed because of snowfall. We trekked on and it turned out okay. It was cold, and when we got to the summit we found it socked in, but manageable. Heading down the other side it cleared up nicely.

Jim’s snow wall

Snow bound

Storms forced us to spend the next evening in a hotel in Butte MT hence no photos. Fast forward to Glacier NP and Going to the Sun Highway.

Glacier National Park

Lunch break

Jim’s thinking - Now what’s he doing

A few odds and ends

Long way down

The summit

I like snow

Once we departed GNP we made our way to the Canadian border. I’ll share some of those images once I get back from Northwoods.

Great pics Randy. See you in a few days.

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Awesome bringing back memories and we are going to tent it next time

2014 Ultra Classic Limited
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired

No snowball fights?

Sorry for the break. Dang Northwoods. Now where was I?

Took care of Glacier so now we cross into Canada. If you’ve heard about Jim’s last border crossing you would know why this had us a little concerned. However, it all went without a hitch.

We made our way up into Waterton Lakes National Park which is really an extension into Canada of Glacier National Park. Spent the night in the park and had our first encounter with a wild animal.

Meet Jim’s bear:

Not much to add with Radium Hot Springs. Jim already described the CG and his soak in the hot springs. So I’ll move on to the next day where we were introduced to some fantastic scenery, i.e. Banff National Park and Jasper National Park. Photos don’t do it justice. If you've been you know, if you haven’t, put it on your list.

Spent that night in Grande Casche Municipal Park. A little pricey at $20 (15.60 US) each, but a nice quiet campground. Had a mishap with the bike; tipped over in the grass. Nothing bruised except for my pride.

Dawson Creek. Can’t drive past this sign without a photo.

Stopped for the night at Pink Mountain CG. Okay CG, but we were fortunate to be the first tents. Our site selection was decent but if we had been stuck with any other it would have sucked. Turned out to be the most bug infested site of the whole trip. Weren’t mosquitos, instead these little black fly type bugs.

On to Watson Lake where we took time for Jim to mount his sign. Complete surprise to me as I had no idea he had this. Thanks to his daughter for taking the time to create it. How cool is that. Jim already posted a picture but had to add another. Go Motocampers!

Spent that night in a Provincial Park. Think it was Watson Lake Campground. Pretty decent campground. As Jim said, $12 Canadian with free firewood. First night without a shower, oh boy. Jim wasn’t having it; quick scrub in the lake.

A few more random photos...

Jim's getting pretty tired of the raingear.

Finally, sunshine. Now he's happy

The real deal

Two hams

Jim also mentioned the little bakery run by a very nice French couple. Not sure exactly where we were, somewhere between Destruction Bay and Beaver Creek. All I remember was the road construction before we camped, and the construction we ran into the following day. Jim, when he spoke of this place mentioned rough camping. Again no shower (night number two), I was feeling it. I asked at the office about running water to which he replied, no problem. He walked out to an out building and turned on a hose that ran over to the campground. Good, at least we have access to water. Went back after we ate to wash up and lo and behold, the water had been shut off and the office was closed.
    Again, no photos. But Jim posted a couple.

From here head for the Alaskan border. I’ll be back in a day or two with more photos.

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Awesome photos great lookig trip