Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RJ-97 & Jrcro067s 2016 Alaska Trip

Re: RJ-97 & Jrcro067s 2016 Alaska Trip

It was great seeing you again, Jim. I hope both you and Randy have a great ride, I'll second what Rick said, keep posted but don't let get in the way of your ride.

Richard

Jim-- Good to talk to you at the Chillout.. Ya'll be careful and have a great time.
    RIDE TO LIVE !

(Threadstarter)

Day 4: 317 miles from Castle Rock Co. to Bar Nunn Wy.
    After a good nights sleep, we pulled out but not after leaving my mark like a stray dog on my friends brand new garage floor. But hey, it's a Harley so nuff said…..
    Route today was 287 skirting along Roosevelt National Park through Laramie and Rock River. 487 out of Medicine Bow into Casper/Bar Nunn. Beautiful rolling prairie and cattle ranges. Lots of pronghorn antelope (no pics) and sage grouse. Good day to let the ride and scenery wash away work and really allow the trip to sink in. Randy is a great navigator and our ride rhythm seems in sync.

Was to going to surprise Wille & Bev at the KOA but the surprise was on us when they had a change of luck/plans (see Willies thread). Unpack set up camp and a massive storm blew in. Heavy winds, hail and lightening. Quick tear down of the tarps and tents and take cover under the shelters. Man how these gusty hail storms come up so fast. Dined on MRE’s waiting out the storm. Good nights sleep with no further rain but the gusty winds picked back up around 3am. Very proud of my Kelty and tie anchor points.

Casper KOA recommendation: we recommend to run fast and far to find another place to stay. Tent area is nothing more than rocks and dirt (or mud after a rain storm). Only grass we saw was in the dog walking area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	18843

Views:	29 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	18844[ATTACH=CONFIG]18845[/ATTACH

Day 5: 287 miles from Bar Nunn Wy. to Cody Wy.
    Took 20 out of Casper to Shoshoni then through Boysen State Park to Thermopolis. 120 to Cody. Another day of beautiful cattle land and sparse communities.

The plan was to camp at Buffalo Bill State Park which was in the high mountains overlooking a nice lake. About 5 miles out, we see the sky about to open and really rain down some pain. Checking weather, we see even more storms behind and decide to boogie back through Cody and against our better judgement try another KOA. Good weather, bad campground. Again, KOA doesn't appear to cater to tent campers. Lots are sparsely grass and dirt plots with zero shade trees. More heavy winds but no rain. Met a nice biker Bill from Kentucky heading to Washington state. Good conversation around the small fire before calling it a day.

Views:	33 
Size:	475.2 KB 
ID:	18846

Day 6: 389 miles from Cody Wy. to Butte Mt.
    Rise and shine but confused as we both thought it was raining in the wee hours. Bill joined us for breakfast the we headed out to see if our luck would continue. Everyone is saying BTH is closed. CJH started out well then stopped for rock slide repairs. Then at the first pull off for photos up pulls Bill. Another group telling us BTH is closed. Ride through CJH with many photo stops then split with Bill as we decide to go as far on BTH as is open. Our luck continues as it is open all the way. Chilly 35 degrees and heavy fog limits visibility until we crest the top then sky's open and we enjoy great views on the down hill Montana side. Quick stop in Bose Mt to pick up some pants and a warmer sleeping bag. Randy is experiencing some rear brake concerns and the Butte Mt Honda shop says to bring it in first thing in the morning. We decide to trek to butte and camp but 30 miles out our luck starts turning. Temps dropping and rain picking up. Decide on Days Inn. Covered parking, hot showers, clothes washers and pizza is just what we needed.

Views:	45 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	18847Click image for larger version. 

Views:	35 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	18848Click image for larger version. 

Views:	36 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	18849
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Jim & Tammie (not the Bakers)
    2011 FLHTK
    Lees-ure Lite

Thanks for the update Jim. Randy is a good navigator. Love the pics. Hope you are carrying extra motor oil.

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Years ago driving on 287 between Laramie and Fort Collins wild horses used to run on the west sided of the road.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like we should find another campground when we head out. Sure hope the weather gets better for you.

If Randy's rear brake shudder is during heavy braking in the twisties, it's likely caused by a small amount of air in a banjo connector in the rear fender area. It's a fairly well-known complaint. If he can't get a solution at the stealer, pm me and I'll send a link with a solution.

Richard

(Threadstarter)

Question Re: RJ-97 & Jrcro067s 2016 Alaska Trip

Day 7: 258 miles Butte Mt to Glacier National Park West Gate:
    I-90 to Garrison, Highway 12 to 141. 141 to 200 west to 83 short of Kalispell to WestGate.

Yes Sir, warm bed, shower and pizza as well as clean clothes was the right call. A couple of bicyclist pulled in after us, some trekked from northern states heading south to Mexico. Here I thought motocampers traveled compact and light. These guys wrote the book on traveling light.

The Honda dealer was mile from the hotel and as promised, looked at Randys bike right as they opened. Prognosis was possible build up of road grime and crud. Good peace of mind taking it in. Also found a UPS store and both shipped home some unneeded items to lighten the load. Funny how what you think you have to have vs. what you need. Not those bicyclist though.

11am and blue sky's ahead we rolled out toward Glacier. Ops, blue sky's lasted about 30 minutes then we pulled over to suit up for the rain. Farther down the route we stopped to add even more layers and met another biker from Woodstock Ga just around the corner from me.

Cold, cold, cold riding today.

Lunch at Trixies a neat hole in the wall near nowheresville but seemed to be a local watering hole. Trixie took cash only, kinda makes ya think what else Trixie took cash for.. But that's for another thread.
    Apgar camp site at Glacier West Entrance: $10 with Old Fart discount, thanks Randy. No showers, only cold water in restrooms, hit or miss cell signal. Still a nice CG if you know no bath facilities. Another heavy hail storm just as we set up. Camera on bike so no pics. Ground looked like it has snowed afterward. Cold night. Did I mention it was cold on this trip?

Views:	40 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	18861Click image for larger version. 

Views:	41 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	18862Click image for larger version. 

Views:	45 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	18863

Day 8: 118 miles Glacier West to Waterton Lakes Park in Alberta.
    Bright and early, the Ranger rode by our camp and alerted us that the Going to the Sun Road was open. Yeh baby, that was our mission of the day. What a beautiful ride and certainly washed away our memories of yesterday's cold ride and hail ridden camp. Cannot describe the beauty so you MUST make this journey.

Lunch just outside of the park in St Marys at Twin Sisters. Great little eatery and Huckleberry pie.

Our goal was to camp in the park again at Many Glacier CG but no spots open so we headed into Ca via Hwy 17 Chief MountIn Highway and Waterton Park portion of the park. So heres the important part, Glacier is $25 entrance fee unless you are an Old Fart, like Randy not a young stud like me. Pass is good for 7 days and non transferable to the Canadian portion.

Camped at Waterton Park Crandall Camp. $21.50 Canadian plus $7.80 Canadian each to enter the park. Very nice spot, again no showers or hot water. Check it out, we set up in dry weather, yah hoo!! There was a control burn happening on the mountain top so we felt good that weather would remain clear. Enjoyable MRE dinner then libations by the fire. I gotta relieve myself so I step off slightly to the woods not 10 from the fire. Oh hell no, something big is staring right at me eye level. Before I can tuck it in, I scramble to get Randy, we need to shelter behind something safe before this grizzly eats us. Relax Jim, its just a deer There were several and man are they stealthy. Next morning we break camp and another one walks right by us with no fear.

Day 9: 256 miles from Waterton Park to Radium Springs.
    Took highway 6 to highway 3 to 93/95 into Radium Springs

Another great navigation day by Randy. In case I failed to mention, I have the GPS but Randy leads without one! Nice ride but mid day we find ourselves again donning the foul weather gear. Secured a great site in Canyon CG right next to a rolling stream and a crying baby. Stream is louder and wins out!! $40 Canadian and $7 for wood.

Views:	29 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	18865

Views:	41 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	18864

Views:	48 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	18866

Great report. We're waiting with baited breath.

Richard

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Traveling with ya in my mind guys, be safe out there!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster