Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RJ-97 & Jrcro067ís 2016 Alaska Trip

RJ-97 & Jrcro067ís 2016 Alaska Trip

So there we were at the 1st Annual Missouri Campfire when Randy and I started chatting about trips, where weíve been where we wanted to go when Randy mentioned his desire to go to Alaska. Me? Iím still a clock puncher that canít think past Monday mornings. But having just recently come off a very memorable (insert Canadian border crossing debacle) two week ride into Canada and around the Lakes, I started pondering if this was a trip I could actually take before retirement. Flash forward a few weeks and I reconnected with Randy. Yes, I could possibly pull off 2 or 3 weeks to do this. Flash forward a month and Randy has convinced me to take 4 or 5 weeks. So we landed on a rally date of June 11th.

Now before we get started, I have two big shout outs and an idea.

1st shout out goes to Randy for all of his logistics and patience as I worked through the time off, landing on the date but most importantly in advance for the patience he will need. Those of you that know me know Iím not a planner. I typically show up without notice, forethought or food then head out in the same manner. I feel lucky to be traveling with Randy as my Road Captain and Chief Navigator.

2nd goes to Steve aka Ironheadziggy76. Steve really took the time to provide solid advice from his experience via email then again by phone to Randy and myself. My only regret is that we connected with him too soon and thus have played the waiting game with much bated excitement.

The idea? While Iím not a big motocamper poster, my thought is to try and provide updates and pics along our trip. I have read many that motivate my dreams, desires and impatience with retirement so I want to try and reciprocate.

To set the foundation of our trip, feel confident knowing that Murphy and his Law have paid us both a visit as we geared up for our expedition.

Me? It started with a slight injury to my throttle hand last month, then the much needed pre trip spending on gear and bike maintenance followed by a colonoscopy with less than favorable results. Oh did I mention the pre-trip spending? How about the home HVAC that went out and is being replaced tomorrow and that ainít cheap. Can you say unexpected expense?

So, Iíll let Randy chime in with his pre-trip woes, planned route and other details that I take for granted.

Otherwise, I hope Iím able to honor the commitment on my above idea.
    Jim & Tammie (not the Bakers)
    2011 FLHTK
    Lees-ure Lite

Re: RJ-97 & Jrcro067ís 2016 Alaska Trip

It's been a long 8 months and it's hard to believe it's less than a week away. Jim has mentioned that we're going to try to provide photos and updates along the way. Hopefully we can make that happen. The only thing that concerns me is following in Steve's footsteps. His thread earlier this year is going to be a hard act to follow. But I think it should be fun and we'll give it a try.

As for the route. We’re pretty much following other's leads. Jim's riding up from GA to meet here in MO. From here we intend to highball it to Cody via Denver as we figure the trip doesn't really start until there. We'll do Chief Joseph and Beartooth on our way to Glacier NP; cross over into Canada and make our way thru Banff NP. From there, pretty much head for Fairbanks. Once in AK we’ll figure it out, taking leads for campgrounds from Ironheadziggy and others that have made the trip.

Jim mentioned our ups and downs, but right now, not really sure I want to talk about them as I don't want to jinx the trip. Everything on both Jim's side and mine is going to turn out okay.

The trip is on.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Following with lots of interest!
    Deb

2003 Yamaha 1100 Classic, 2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Randy/Jim,
    I hope you guys have an awesome trip. We look forward to to your progress reports. Ride safe!

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Hi Jim

Another couple, my young bride and myself will be doing Alaska next year. We'll be following your trip with interest. Good luck.
    Enjoy the ride,

Retired Army (still working)
    2014 Victory Vision, 2004 Roll-A-Home Camper

We will be waiting for pictures and reports. Have a great trip!
    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Hey you two, let me say it was an absolute pleasure talking with you guys about your trip! I don't know that I was much help, but thank you for the kind words. The main thing is to have fun and be safe! If you have time to post up along the way that would be awesome but don't let it get in the way of the trip. Just let us know how things are going from time to time, you will have the winter to do a trip report! I just wish I could be there to see the looks on your faces when you see the scenery and the vastness of some of the places you are going to see!

Again, be safe and enjoy!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Best of luck on your trip. I'd echo Steve's suggestion of keeping us informed, but I believe you'll have a hard enough time just getting the basics covered on that without trying to get good reports and pics out in the hinterlands. My suggestion would be to write or record a daily log. With special attention to where and when you took pics. My only other advice would be to make sure that you're getting enough rest. I liked starting early and stopping early. I think I saw more wildlife that way. Also, if Going to the sun isn't open, be sure to do GNP anyway. We saw a grizzley sow and twin cubs and a young bull moose in a 1 hour side trip up The Many Glaciers Trail on the northeast corner of the park. There's so much, it's hard not to keep going on and on.

Richard

Enjoy! Ride safe!