Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini Mate Wheel Bearings

Re: Mini Mate Wheel Bearings

I use brake cleaner to rinse the bearings. It sure helps to have a floor jack to speed the process up. Be certain to put new pins in the castle nut. Why take chances with a fifty cent part.

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

(Threadstarter)

Update:

I removed the wheel, cap, cotter pin, castle nut and bearing. There wasn't much grease on the bearing. I cleaned it up, repacked with bearing grease and used a new cotter pins. The castle nut was snugged up hand tight and backed off enough for the cotter pin.
    I'm good to go for the camping season now.
    Craig
    1999 Valkyrie Interstate Darksider
    2014 Mini Mate

I would take it for a 20 mile ride or so, then jack it up and check the tire/axle for any side to side movement. If you only did "finger tight", they may wear in a little and adjustment is needed. I always double check mine, as it just takes a few minutes and I'd rather be safe that sorry.

E. Iowa, Overnite Camping 15mi off Hwy 20

+1 on rechecking it. I snug them up pretty good before backing off, gotta make sure their seated. A short run would probably work the same.

I always take my torque wrench and recheck the wheel lug nuts a couple of times when we leave on a trip. I do like some others and tighten up snug and then loosen and hand tighten. this procedure has worked on a 24 ft travel trailer, Bunkhouse camper and an Escapade trailer. Also some 1950 era cars, some of you may not be old enough to remember repacking front wheel bearing on cars. If they are too tight they will run hot.

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Update:

I removed the wheel, cap, cotter pin, castle nut and bearing. There wasn't much grease on the bearing.
    Theres 2 bearings in each hub.
    Did you only grease the outside bearing?

Hi, I just bought a used Mini Mate. I was wondering if they make the bearing buddies for them and what the part number would be? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by sidecarrick View Post
    Hi, I just bought a used Mini Mate. I was wondering if they make the bearing buddies for them and what the part number would be? Thanks in advance.
    I haven't seen bearing buddies for them but suspect NAPA or a similar outlet would have them. I just repack them once
    a year. It gives me a chance to see if there is any damage developing. Welcome to the forum by the way.

About the best use for bearing buddies is if they are on a boat trailer. They are filled with grease with a grease gun so the hub will not get any water in it when unloading and loading your boat. Unless you plan on fording streams with your camper and bike I would say don't use them. I bought into this hype many years ago and now have 2 sets for sale. One off my camper and one off my cargo trailer. Regular wheel bearing grease works very well and will not run off the bearings when they get warm. Gun grease will generally melt and run off the bearings.

It's probably 40 inch pounds not 40 foot pounds