Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ride north of winnipeg .

(Threadstarter)

Re: Ride north of winnipeg .

I ride a 05 Wee Strom and pull a 1 wheel flatbed . The Strom has a fork brace and the driver has done a lot of dirt . The right grip is your best friend if the front end starts to push make sure your RPMs are up so you can steer with the rear wheel . Not far enough north for polar bears should be only pesky black bears trying to eat your food .

Sounded like u were riding to the top as far as u can go.

(Threadstarter)

Till I run out of road and only natives . Would like to get to Hudson Bay but it looks like I will run out of 2 track befor that .

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyairhead View Post
    I am interested in a James bay easy ride. Labrador road is another long serious ride. At 65 I am happy to ride. John
    You could always make your way to Matagami, QC and ride the James Bay Route.
    Paved until you cut off to head west to Fort George/James Bay.
    Kind of a paradox ... the road used to be a private road built by Quebec Hydro to build a big hydro electric dam complex up by Radisson and as such was unpatrolled by police (read NO speed limit) ... only thing is there is just 1 gas station between Matagami and Radisson (a distance of 660 km/411 mi) at 381 KM/237 mi mark.
    It is no longer a private road and is now patrolled by the Sûreté du Québec
    I have friends that dipped the front wheel of their cruisers into James bay up there.
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

There is fuel along the way, just watch your consumpsion. Fill up every chance you get. Also check out Gimli MB. for some good Canadian Whiskey, the best is made right there, its called Crown Royal. Enjoy the sights they are beautiful. If you are going all the way up the highway will intersect with 391 hwy at a service station you then have about 85 miles into Thompson. I lived there for about 14 years in the early days when Thompson was just starting out. Plan your trip and remember our "mileage" is in kilometers which is about 5/8 of a mile. I am very envious of your trip as I haven't been back for too long, I love that country. ENJOY AND TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES..

What is the road like after Thompson to Gillam...??

--
    Gordon

(Threadstarter)

Map quest says its 662 miles Winnipeg to Gillam . It looks like the road may keep going to Hudson Bay . The maps are really poor for up there . Anyone know if a smart phone gps will map that far north . Someone told me today the Blue berrys are great up there . That may make me push it back into August . Gordon I don't know if anyone on here has been there . I stopped to see a pilot that flys into Canada fishing a lot but he wasn't at the store today .

Last time I was there it was all gravel but that was many years ago. I'll try calling a friend who is still up there and see what he says. Probably won't get an answer until late this week.

This is exactly the kind of trip I dream of doing. Maybe I should start planning.
    2013 HD Tri Glide
    HOG, IBMC, NRA, NHRA, AWS

To put the front tire in Hudson bay would be my goal. I am not ready for a long ride just yet with my new setup. Been coast to coast, gulf to north of lake superior . I'll be watching. John
    KISS