Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leesure-lite Excel Rear Cargo Carrier

Re: Leesure-lite Excel Rear Cargo Carrier

I just put a pin in my latch....can't come open.

--
    Gordon

I used the existing inserts for the stand to attach my rack and hold in with quick connect clamps. Obviously as stated you have to counter balance the weight with the pod but I have logged many miles with coolers and even a little fire wood on my rack. Also used the lighter pipe for my chairs and awning poles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lees-ure Lie (3).JPG   Lees-ure Lie (4).JPG   LL Cargo Rack (6).JPG  

How did you attach this to your camper? Was there a metal frame to bolt to or did you drill through the base of the unit and bolt that way?

Same question for the large pipe, how is it attached.

Great idea, was thinking of doing something like that but have only fiberglass on the rear of the unit and dont want to chance it breaking up because I went over a large pot hole.

Thanks again,
    See our 3 minute ride up the Moki Dugway by Mexican Hat in Utah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCJAZo6ipyc

For the cargo carrier Leesure-Lite's have two welded 1 1/4" ID square tubes already in place for the 1 1/4" OD square tubing of the rack to slide into. Drill a hole on either side into the frame and use 3/8" rated pins so you can remove it when you set up camp at night. (I bought the pins at Tractor Supply and they are used to keep PTO attachments firmly affixed to the tractor) I went to the metal shop and had them cut 2 lengths of 30" tubing, set the prebuilt cargo frame on top and drilled some holes. then drilled a hole on either side. of the frame for the hitch pins. Then sprayed everything with rustoleum. One problem I noticed when I took it out for a test ride is that it is easy to cover up the brake lights..etc unless you are really careful. I am somewhat underwhelmed with the LL lights on the rear anyways so I am in the process of adding a set of brake/turn/running lights to the rear for better visibility. Will post a pic when done.

The pipe is interesting. It is SDR35 sewer pipe 8" in diameter. From another thread it was attached with strapping around the pipe and then clamped to the frame using doubled over pipe clamps (think radiator hose clamps). I still have not done this to mine as I suspect I have more than enough extra storage now. That being said it is hard to find SDR35 at big box stores (Lowes, HD, etc) but it is available at a plumbing supply store. That being said I did find 6" SDR35 pipe at a local Lowes...

I am sure people who have completed the install will chime in with better instructions for the pipe.

Tom
    2015 GL1800 Level 3 + 2016 Leesure-Lite Excel
    www.gl1800-farkles.com

Just an update I added some stop/turn/running lights to the rack but am still waiting for the new center brake light that will sit on top of the rear rack in the middle. I tapped into the wiring at the back of the LL where it enters near the rear piano hinge. Tested it hooked up to the car... flawless! Hooked it up the the bike.... running/turn no brake lights...... Slapping forehead.... car is a 4 pin bike is a 5 pin system! I installed a 5 pin flat connector at the back of the trailer so when the cargo carrier is present the lights can be easily connected. I did run the brake light signal to the middle of the rack at the back of it for the new 3rd brake light. (pay no attention to the vertical clear lenses they are for a different warning system)

So I had a 5 pin to 4 pin converter laying around in junk box wired it in and poof just what I needed. Made it so it can be disconnected when hauling trailer by car. The signal for the brakes is still present pre converter so I can still have my third brake light as long as the 3rd brake light is isolated. I will not have the 3rd brake light when hauling by car but that is only once a year... (pic of 3rd attached). While I was rooting around I noticed that LL uses the frame as a ground wire grrrrrrrrr! I ran an extra ground wire to the back and connected everything to a real ground wire... While I always ground to the frame I don't rely on it for wiring... many a trailer lighting problem can be traced back to poor grounding problems.

Altogether a really fun project and hopefully safe. I have seen other put reflexite/solas tape on the rear of the trailer for better visibility. You can't ever have enough visibility from inattentive cage drivers.

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0480.JPG   2016-05-06_163540.jpg  

KJ4TAK is spot on. I use the screw straps onto the frame then bent them back to make sure they didn't back off. Three years and many miles they are as tights as the day I put them on. I actually got my SDR35 from some local road construction for free. Since I only needed a few feet, they had plenty of scraps. The pipe up front is standard PVC and I use them to store 6 awning poles. The good, the bad and the ugly? The Good is they are water tight unlike the LL accessory box. The Bad is they are water tight so so if you put away wet chairs or poles you need to dry out and leave open to air out. The Ugly, it's crazy how many people actually think the camper has plumbing. Really???

I actually replaced my awning poles with kelty poles which fold much shorter. I have used these poles in other camping situations to hold up tarps etc never broken one. yet...

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-41981003...ilpage_o04_s00

Without the tubes you have to put the LL poles inside the tent. The Kelty's fit great in the bucket with my air conditioner or on top of the trailer in the carrier gadget I use for all of my lightweight bulky stuff.

Am going to see during season this year if I need to add some "plumbing" for extra storage!

Tom

You know I got to thinking and that that tube for storage could hold about 10.5 gallons of fluid or about 88 pounds.... You might be able to use it as a holding tank and put a potty inside the trailer...... Naw......

Tom

I have finished up the lights on the cargo carrier! Still deciding if I am going to move the license plate to the cargo carrier or not. This would allow me to store more bulky lightweight items on the back and cover things up. I left some extra wiring so I could light the plate up. The lights were a bit of a challenge as the trailer isolator on the bike is a 5 wire system and the extra lights are suitable for a 4 wire system. My SUV is a 4 wire system so I want to keep this ability. Eventually I found a tiny self contained 5 >4 wire converter and added a couple of disconnects so it can be taken off if hauling the LL by truck.

I opted for two LED turn signals from wally world... about $20 each and attached them. I had a real problem finding a durable third brake light that had enough output. Tried a number of "imported" lights from offshore.... useless.... Eventually I kept thinking of the bumper lights I had on my emergency vehicle in the old days. Finally found a company that had LED Red Bumper lights with no built in strobe circuitry down in Jupiter. Picked them up and added a spare brake light flashed into the housing of the light.

Everything just works! and it is very visible even in the daylight. The third brake light really gets peoples attention as it flashes 4 times and then goes steady (California Spec) and since it meets the federal standards for emergency lighting you can guess how bright. Perused through FVMSS to ensure that it could be used as a stop light and there seems to be no problem. Long as it does not continuously flash when you are in motion it is legal.

The lighting is connected to the removable cargo hauler by a 5 pin trailer connector and a 2 pin connector for some strobes (used during emergency stops on side of road only the two vertical strobes in center of cargo carrier.) The blue bucket contains my air conditioner but I have since replaced it with a heavy duty waterproof duffle.

BTW with air conditioner on carrier hitch weight down to 22 pounds....

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trailerlights.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by KJ4TAK View Post
    I have finished up the lights on the cargo carrier! Still deciding if I am going to move the license plate to the cargo carrier or not. This would allow me to store more bulky lightweight items on the back and cover things up. I left some extra wiring so I could light the plate up. The lights were a bit of a challenge as the trailer isolator on the bike is a 5 wire system and the extra lights are suitable for a 4 wire system. My SUV is a 4 wire system so I want to keep this ability. Eventually I found a tiny self contained 5 >4 wire converter and added a couple of disconnects so it can be taken off if hauling the LL by truck.

I opted for two LED turn signals from wally world... about $20 each and attached them. I had a real problem finding a durable third brake light that had enough output. Tried a number of "imported" lights from offshore.... useless.... Eventually I kept thinking of the bumper lights I had on my emergency vehicle in the old days. Finally found a company that had LED Red Bumper lights with no built in strobe circuitry down in Jupiter. Picked them up and added a spare brake light flashed into the housing of the light.

Everything just works! and it is very visible even in the daylight. The third brake light really gets peoples attention as it flashes 4 times and then goes steady (California Spec) and since it meets the federal standards for emergency lighting you can guess how bright. Perused through FVMSS to ensure that it could be used as a stop light and there seems to be no problem. Long as it does not continuously flash when you are in motion it is legal.

The lighting is connected to the removable cargo hauler by a 5 pin trailer connector and a 2 pin connector for some strobes (used during emergency stops on side of road only the two vertical strobes in center of cargo carrier.) The blue bucket contains my air conditioner but I have since replaced it with a heavy duty waterproof duffle.

BTW with air conditioner on carrier hitch weight down to 22 pounds....

Tom
    I know this is an old post but what waterproof duffel are you using and do you have a link. Iím going to copy you idea. Itís Brilliant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk