Thread: Shenandoah River State Park Review

Shenandoah River State Park Review

Shenandoah River State Park

Latitude, 38.854777. Longitude, -78.306552
    Address: Daughter of Stars Drive, Bentonville, VA 22610
    Date of Visit: April 14, 2016 Note: I did not camp here this time. Was just doing a drive through to prepare for a possible group campout.
    Weather: 60F day temps/30F overnights
    Pricing: VA Residents: VA Residents: 20.00 standard/35.00 Water & Electric + park entry fee
    Non Residents 21.00 and 41.00 + park entry fee

Standards sites are all non-drive/ride up sites. You must carry your gear back to your site via foot paths that are throughout the area. Therefore if you have a small tow behind camper, you are limited to the electric sites only. Every site has a pad, table, and fire rings. There are some trees in the standard site areas that can be used for hammocks but 1.5” straps are required and trees are pretty limited. These sites are all located within walking distance of the river with shade and decent distance between sites.

Water & Electric sites: All are gravel with about 90% being non pull through. Fire ring, tables, pad, and poles for trash bags are provided. There are limited shade trees in this area so if it’s hot out, try for a site around the outer edges. I spoke to the ranger and they would allow two of the small motorcycle sized campers per site. The W&E sites are not at all close to the river.

Overall impression: Facilities were spotlessly clean and while not new were very well maintained. According to the rangers/hosts the park contracts with a company that cleans the facilities 2x per day during season. Plenty of showers to go around but could not test the hot water availability. Each area had a host that was already set up and willing to answer questions. Area is beautiful with an abundance of wildlife including copperheads, rattlers, and black bear so be careful on hikes.

According to the rangers this park has a high usage day area population from the locals which accounts for their abundance of picnic tables and hiking trails. During season (school is out) a reservation is a must even mid-week as they are full up most weeks. They area also full on weekends in the “shoulder season” which was when I was there. According to the ranger I spoke to, the W&E sites were already booked for the next two weekends. They suggested reservations 3 weeks to a month in advance and to arrive NLT Thursday if you want a good selection on sites.

Another huge plus for me is the South Fork of the Shenandoah River runs through it and the park has a kayak/canoe launch area! Really good blue gill and small mouth bass fishing are close by with great kayaking opportunities right at the door step. If you don’t bring a ‘yak with you, no problem. There are outfitters less than 5 miles down the road that will rent you anything you need for a day on the river. They offer kayaks, canoes, tubing, and even overnight packages.

Bad news is like most VA State parks it is high dollar as are all of the camp sites located at the northern end of Shenandoah National Park/Skyline Drive. Even a dive just down the way was 35.00 per night and only 1 tent/camper per site!!!! Good news is this park ranks up there for well-maintained sites in VA State parks.
    Deb

2003 Yamaha 1100 Classic, 2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Re: Shenandoah River State Park Review

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Shenandoah River State Park

Latitude, 38.854777. Longitude, -78.306552
    Address: Daughter of Stars Drive, Bentonville, VA 22610
    Date of Visit: April 14, 2016 Note: I did not camp here this time. Was just doing a drive through to prepare for a possible group campout.
    Weather: 60F day temps/30F overnights
    Pricing: VA Residents: VA Residents: 20.00 standard/35.00 Water & Electric + park entry fee
    Non Residents 21.00 and 41.00 + park entry fee

Standards sites are all non-drive/ride up sites. You must carry your gear back to your site via foot paths that are throughout the area. Therefore if you have a small tow behind camper, you are limited to the electric sites only. Every site has a pad, table, and fire rings. There are some trees in the standard site areas that can be used for hammocks but 1.5” straps are required and trees are pretty limited. These sites are all located within walking distance of the river with shade and decent distance between sites.

Water & Electric sites: All are gravel with about 90% being non pull through. Fire ring, tables, pad, and poles for trash bags are provided. There are limited shade trees in this area so if it’s hot out, try for a site around the outer edges. I spoke to the ranger and they would allow two of the small motorcycle sized campers per site. The W&E sites are not at all close to the river.

Overall impression: Facilities were spotlessly clean and while not new were very well maintained. According to the rangers/hosts the park contracts with a company that cleans the facilities 2x per day during season. Plenty of showers to go around but could not test the hot water availability. Each area had a host that was already set up and willing to answer questions. Area is beautiful with an abundance of wildlife including copperheads, rattlers, and black bear so be careful on hikes.

According to the rangers this park has a high usage day area population from the locals which accounts for their abundance of picnic tables and hiking trails. During season (school is out) a reservation is a must even mid-week as they are full up most weeks. They area also full on weekends in the “shoulder season” which was when I was there. According to the ranger I spoke to, the W&E sites were already booked for the next two weekends. They suggested reservations 3 weeks to a month in advance and to arrive NLT Thursday if you want a good selection on sites.

Another huge plus for me is the South Fork of the Shenandoah River runs through it and the park has a kayak/canoe launch area! Really good blue gill and small mouth bass fishing are close by with great kayaking opportunities right at the door step. If you don’t bring a ‘yak with you, no problem. There are outfitters less than 5 miles down the road that will rent you anything you need for a day on the river. They offer kayaks, canoes, tubing, and even overnight packages.

Bad news is like most VA State parks it is high dollar as are all of the camp sites located at the northern end of Shenandoah National Park/Skyline Drive. Even a dive just down the way was 35.00 per night and only 1 tent/camper per site!!!! Good news is this park ranks up there for well-maintained sites in VA State parks.
    Thank you Deb. Good write up. I am thinking Va. but with the price, and availability.( Maybe WV.)
    Gary

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

I visited this park again 5/17 -5/19. Nothing has changed from the original review I did in 2016. The place is spotlessly clean, is well used even during mid week, and the prices are still high at 35.00 per night with water/electric. If you want electric you have to use an RV site. Very pleasant place to spend the night. Worth noting is all roads are paved so easy in/out for campers.

River access is available for non motorized boats (think kayaks and canoes). Great spot on the river!

They also have cabins available to rent. I got to peak inside. Small but nice. No A/C or running water inside but you have electric and running water along with a nice pad with table and water.

Below are a couple of shots I took. First is one of the cabins and the other is of my camp site with LL set up on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SR park 1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	472.1 KB 
ID:	21035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SR park 2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	541.9 KB 
ID:	21036

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I visited this park again 5/17 -5/19. Nothing has changed from the original review I did in 2016. The place is spotlessly clean, is well used even during mid week, and the prices are still high at 35.00 per night with water/electric. If you want electric you have to use an RV site. Very pleasant place to spend the night. Worth noting is all roads are paved so easy in/out for campers.

River access is available for non motorized boats (think kayaks and canoes). Great spot on the river!

They also have cabins available to rent. I got to peak inside. Small but nice. No A/C or running water inside but you have electric and running water along with a nice pad with table and water.

Below are a couple of shots I took. First is one of the cabins and the other is of my camp site with LL set up on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SR park 1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	472.1 KB 
ID:	21035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SR park 2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	541.9 KB 
ID:	21036
    Did you have reservations ??
    RIDE TO LIVE !

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by trikerdan View Post
    Did you have reservations ??
    I did not. School is not out yet so it is not "over loaded" but by summer you will need one. The place was 3/4 full in RV spaces by dusk because of snowbirds returning north.