Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Thread: Crusty's Travels

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Re: Crusty's Travels

Good to hear! Looking forward to seeing more trip reports from ya!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Ketchup

This evening, I fixed a sausage burger and roasted potatoes for dinner. It was a meal I was really looking forward to. it was 6 ounces of sweet Italian sausage (without skin) fried and covered with Provolone cheese on a toasted roll with Cainís Sweet Pickle Relish, yellow mustard and Tabasco chipotle hot sauce. As always, I had Heinz ketchup for the potatoes. As I was enjoying this ambrosial repast, my thoughts turned to the ketchup. I was running pretty low, and I was wondering if I had enough left for the meal, or maybe I should bring out another bottle. (It turned out that I had just enough and didnít need to open a new container). From there, I started thinking about the different spellings for ketchup. Heinz calls it ketchup; but Hunts calls it catsup. Then, I started wondering how ketchup is made. I mean, it looks like tomato jelly. Why donít they call it that? Nobody has invented a unique name for grape jelly, why is ketchup called ketchup? Then again, how many people would ask for tomato jelly for their fries at Blubber King? I bet sales of ketchup would plummet if the name was changed. Still; it looks like Tomato Jelly; doesnít it?

I mentioned Cainís Relish. Itís my favorite, and I think itís only available in New England. David (my brother) gave me a couple of jars for my birthday. I thought heíd found someplace local to buy them, but he had a friend in Maine send him a couple of jars so he could surprise me. It sure did. Last night, I had a Queen City Dinner Frank with (what else?) yellow mustard and Cainís Relish. I prefer Frenchís Yellow mustard over Guldenís Brown or Grey Poupon. Tonight, I had an old SOB (sausage on a bun). I used to use Cholula Chipotle hot sauce, but I canít find it around here. The Tabasco Chipotle sauce is pretty tasty, though, so Iím not complaining about it.

Tomorrow night, I think Iíll have a burger. 5 ounces of 85% lean ground beef covered with extra sharp cheddar cheese sitting on a toasted roll covered with onions sautťed in butter, Cainís relish (again), mustard and ketchup. I call this combination a Messy Burger. The name becomes obvious when you try to eat it. I usually have a triple supply of napkins at my plate, and even then, I sometimes need more. The flavor is worth it though. Instead of potatoes, Iíll fix beef flavored Rice-a-Roni. I usually donít like to have the same side two nights in a row; though sometimes I do anyhow.

The tread on the rear tire is getting low enough that Iím going to have to put the new tire on the Roadster pretty soon, I think. Itís not quite to the wear bars, but itís getting close. Iíll keep an eye on it. Hopefully, itíll last until itís almost time to head to Buellvemberfest. Iím not putting much mileage on riding around town, so I think I can stretch it out without pushing the limits.
    You can't put a price on Worthlessness.

Crusty, your making me hungry and you got me going out to the garage to check tires.....
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Why Is It?

I just spent an interesting hour on Harleyís web site looking at bikes. Itís no secret that Iím drawn to the new Street Rod. If it made a bit more power, Iíd probably go for one, but it only makes 50 (Claimed) Lb. Ft of torque. I want a little bit more. If thereís any truth to the rumor that a 900 is waiting in the wings, then maybe that would get me. However, in its 750 form, it just doesnít quite do the trick.

Then I looked at Sportsters. Harley has five different variants, and the one Iíd want isnít one of the choices. If I could have the fenders, fuel tank, seat and bars from the Superlow on a Roadster, then that would really speak to me. but that bike just isnít available. If I were to hit the Lottery, then I could afford to have a dealer build it to my specs, but Iím poor and that option is only a pipe dream.

Even with the Big Twins, there isnít one thatís all that I want. Iíd like a Low Rider with the suspension of a Fat Bob, but the Low Riderís wheels. Thatís pretty much the only Big Twin Iím even remotely interested in at the present time.

Itís pretty much the same with almost every bike on the market. Iíd have to make some fairly extensive modifications to make it what I want; and thatís assuming the specific bike is close to what Iím looking for.

I was really pumped up by the EBR Black Lightning, but none ever got built. It wasnít quite what I wanted, but I could see what I would do to make it so. Then LAP pulled the plug. For a while, I was determined to buy one of the remaining 1190s and make it my vision of a Red Lightning, but buying this house and spending all I can afford to fix it up has kinda caused that dream to fade. And the idea of riding it to the Arctic ocean is exciting, but what do I do if something breaks?. Still, if I could come up with the dough, Iíd probably try it. I have been known to do some, um, impractical things over the years.

Back in 1999, I rode my Buell S3-T out to the DuQuoin Mile. I walked through the parking lot looking at Sport-Tourers, and I was amazed that they were all so big. My Thunderbolt was lithe in comparison. ST1100s, Kaw Concours, Yamaha FJs, even BMWs; they were all a lot bigger and much more ponderous looking. That S3-T was as close to the perfect bike for me as any I have ever owned. But it just wasnít reliable enough. I believe that if Erik had designed an XB platform Sport-Tourer, I would have found my ideal bike. When the Ulysses XT came out, I was on one as soon as I could get one. But it wasnít a real Sport-Tourer.

I guess that Iím just an odd enough duck that not too many folks want what I do. Well; Iíve got the Roadster. Itís getting me around for the time being. And I believe it would get me to Tuktoyaktuk and back. Still, A new bike might be nice, if only somebody would build the bike that I want.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

A Saturday In October

Yesterday was kinda interesting.

I had decided to do a little yard work, and trim down some more of the jungle behind the house. So I was out back with the pruning shears (Loppers) cutting down branches of the overgrowth when I heard a horn blowing, then the unmistakable sound of an automobile impact. I walked around the side of the house to see what happened, and it took a few minutes to get it sorted out.

It turned out that the next door neighbor’s 5 year old had managed to get into the family minivan and shift it into Neutral. Their driveway is on a hill, so the car rolled backwards down the driveway, across the street (narrowly missing a parked car), over the curb, which caused it to turn 45ļ and finally, into a tree, which stopped it and caused the impact sound I’d heard. The blowing horn I had heard was another car on the side street who saw the car coming. The kid was unhurt, though terrified and the minivan got a smashed tail light, some broken plastic bodywork and it’ll probably need some 5 MPH bumper parts replaced.

It was a bit more exciting than my description makes it sound, and it reinforces that kids can get into trouble is literally a minute or two. I had seen him and waved hello just prior to the incident.

I was only going to fill one Garbage bag with cuttings when I went out back, but I kinda of got into cutting and wound up filling four. But the yard looks considerably better. There are lots more bags worth out there, but eventually, I’ll get it done. I talked with Don in Buffalo, and the next time he comes down to visit, he’s going to bring a chain saw so that I can cut down the trunks that are too thick for the Loppers and and also a Hammer drill, so I can bolt my NoMar tire changer to the floor in the basement, as well.

Last night, I watched the Flat Track Finale live on Fans Choice TV. The Perris 1/2 Mile was a narrow groove track (the track wasn’t narrow, just the groove), yet there was some really good racing that went on. Jared Mees won again on an Indian FTR 750, but Jeffrey Carver worked his way up to second on an XR 750 Harley. The way he was closing, if the race had been five laps longer, he might have won. But it wasn’t and he didn’t. J.D. Beach pulled off a banzai pass on the last lap to take third from Steve Bonsey.

There were a few noteworthy Road Racers who were there as the road racing season is over, along with some Europeans who are discovering how challenging Flat Track really is. Besides Beach in the 750 Twins class, Toni Elias was entered in the 450 Singles class as was Hayden Gillim, English Flat Tracker Oliver Brindley was there, as was Maikel Dijkstra from Holland. It’s pretty interesting how the rest of the world is starting to realize that it’s a lot tougher to go fast on dirt than it first appears.

Hopefully, before the next season starts, I’ll get one of those Google Gozinta thingies that sends the image from my computer to my TV so I can see it better.

Now, I have Buellvemberfest to look forward to in a few weeks. That should be a good time.

Hey crusty ... How about a couple of shots of your back yard jungle you're trying to tame ... I'd kinda like to see what it looks like ...

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

I'd be happy to; except that I don't know how to post pictures here any more. Now that Photobucket wants a brazilion dollars for pictures I can post, I can't afford them. I'd also like to post up the pictures of the cherubs that I (unwillingly) got yesterday; when a friend gave me a queen sized bed. I'm not quite sure what sort of demise I'm plotting for those hideously tacky pieces of annoyance, but hopefully it will fully express my distaste for ugly kitsch.

I feel your pain ...I have a difficult time posting pictures here on this forum now, but blame windows 10 ... ... Never had a problem when I used windows 7

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Sparrows, Fog And Ads

Itís a nice morning, even though itís pretty foggy. I woke up at six and started the coffee, then took my shower. However; the sun doesnít come up until nearly 8:00. I like that the sun doesnít set until after 7:00, but itís the late morning sunrise that bothers me. It doesnít get light enough to not require headlights until well after eight. This morning, I was sitting here watching the school busses picking up kids in the dark.

Any time you make a move, there are going to be things that are hard to adjust to. For me, the late sunrise is it. I just think itís interesting how the unexpected changes affect my life.

Thereís a sizable flock of sparrows on my front porch railing. There must be two dozen of the little birdbrains. They wonít be there long. They donít sit still anywhere for long. I can see them through the front window. If I make any move that they can see, theyíll be gone like a shot. They come by for a few seconds at a time nearly every day, and I get a kick out of it.

The fog is fairly thick, this morning. Even though itís now light enough outside to see, it didnít get that light until almost 8:30. I hope the fog burns off pretty quickly, but each time I look out and think itís getting lighter, it seems to get heavier. I think itís all blue sky above the fog, but I donít know that for certain.

Yesterday, a friend came by and gave me a queen sized bed. Itís pretty complete, except that it doesnít have a mattress or box spring. Iíll have to get those; probably this coming month. It will be really nice when I can go to get out of bed and not find myself in a squat because the bedís too close to the floor. My benefactor also gave me a couple of ornamental Cherubs. Theyíre every bit as hideous as the wall stickers in the bathroom. I really donít understand why people like those nauseating, cute little bast**ds. I find them to be the visual equivalent of drinking a bottle of Saccharine. Now, I have to come up with an appropriately satisfying way to demolish them.

Iím a cheap old goat. I hate paying Cable TV two bucks a day for the privilege of maybe finding a TV show that I might watch. So I got an antenna and I watch broadcast TV. I get the major networks; ABC, CBS, NBC, the CW, FOX, etc. and I also get the numerous channels that broadcast shows from the 60s, 70s and 80s. On any given day, I can watch Maverick, Have Gun, Will Travel and Star Trek; or I can watch The Match Game, or Iíve got a Secret and maybe even George Burns or Webitched. Since some of those shows werenít bad (most were), Iíll watch them occasionally. But then, I have to put up with the ads. ď If youíve died from Mesothelioma, call the law offices of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe. You may be eligible for significant compensation!Ē ďOr, you can buy life insurance for only pennies a dayĒ or I can even get incontinence supplies discretely delivered to my mailbox for free; just so long as I have Bladder Control problems and Iím on Medicaid.

Broadcast TV may not cost a lot of money, but there is a heavy price to pay in other ways.

So; I feel like I should mention motorcycles. Or Traveling. Or Camping. I think I may have talked a friend into riding down to Buellvemberfest. He had a few concerns; mainly that he would get caught up in a group ride that was traveling at speeds that are way over his comfort zone . I told him that Iím on the Roadster, and Iíll stay toward the back of the group and let them go, if they start going faster than Iím comfortable with. Thereís no way that Iím going to keep up with a pack of Buells and EBRs, so I can travel comfortably at my own pace. I think he just might go. If he does, I think heíll have a good time. If nothing else, heíll be able to eat at Smokingí Jims; which means that he wonít go hungry. They donít do small portions of anything.

My tent and sleeping bag are patiently waiting in the closet. Iím looking forward to being able to use them again. Itís been way too long.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

While Waiting For Buellvemberfest

Buellvemberfest is coming up rapidly. I still have to put a new belt and tire on the Roadster, but that will only take a few hours, and I wonít be getting the belt until my SS rolls in.

In the meantime, Iíve had all kinds of motorcycle related thoughts that I want to sort out.

Clement Salvadori wrote a piece in this monthís Rider magazine about Practicality vs. Passion. basically, while he likes all motorcycles, he prefers practical bikes. I come from the opposite side. I like most bikes and would ride anything if I had no other choice (If BMW were the only motorcycles being manufactured, Iíd ride a BMW). However, I believe that you should ride the bike that speaks to you. I saw friends get the wrong bike for them and be miserable with their choice because it wasnít the bike they really wanted.

Bobby P. was a friend of mine who lusted after a Harley. He was riding an old beat up 750 Honda that he hated and would talk incessantly about getting a Harley. One day, he showed up riding a Yamaha XS 1100 that had a fairing, bags, trunk, crash bars; a Touring rig. When I asked him why he didnít get a Harley, he said that the Yamaha was set up to travel, and was more reliable, handled better and it was more affordable than a Harley would be, so it was a better choice.

Three months later, Bobby was cursing the Yamaha and wishing he had bought a Harley, instead. It took another couple of years, but Bobby eventually got a used FLH, and he was finally happy with his ride.

Iíve had numerous people tell me that Iím crazy to ride the Roadster. Itís not a touring bike. I canít carry enough on it. It doesnít make enough power. Itís too light. Itís too heavy. It doesn't handle. It's a Harley. It ain't a real motorcycle. It's a Harley. You can't trust it. Hell, I had a Ducati rider from Vancouver give me grief at the Geographical Center of North America about my choice in rides. A freakiní Duck rider criticizing my choice in touring bikes!

The Roadster has its flaws, but it was (and still is) the right bike for me at that time in my life. Itís the only bike Iíve owned over 48 years that Iíve ridden in all 48 Contiguous States (plus British Columbia and Alberta). Yup, there are bigger touring bikes and there are better handling bikes for riding through the twisty sections quickly, and there are bikes that are more comfortable, but none of those bikes are what I want in a motorcycle. Iím willing to put up with the Roadsterís deficiencies as a trade off for itís other, more appealing qualities. It doesnít excel at most things; but it does everything well, and itís very easy to maintain. Thatís a huge plus. Iíve ridden it for over 77,000 miles (the odometer is showing 84K+) over the past 2 1/2 years.

When I go to the rally, Iíll stay at the back of the pack, when riding in a group. Thereís no way in hell Iíll be able to keep up with the fast guys on Buells and EBRs, but Iíll arrive at our destination just as happy.

I have another motorcycle related Snippet that I plan to write, but if I wrote it now, it would make this one way too long. Iíll save it for another day.