Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusty's Travels

Re: Crusty's Travels

Quote Originally Posted by Gearbox View Post
    Crusty D to D is great just don't try Top of the world hwy if there is rain in the forcast . From Dawson to Alaska border is good gravel . Border to Tok is good dirt dry slimey when wet . 100 miles is a long ways to duck walk . Just don't miss Dawson I think it was one of the top highlights of my trip .
    A little update or clarification. The road from the Alaska border to Chicken is slimy when wet, the road from Chicken down to the Alcan and on to Tok is now paved. We have driven the slimy section a few times on wings and it wasn't any fun when wet. On our dual sport bikes it is fun.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

What ever became of the Connie?

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    07 Kawasaki 900 Custom LT
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter
    11 Honda PCX 125cc Scooter (hers)

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

I'm giving the Corny to Guido. I can't even get any interest in it as a parts bike. I'm pretty sure he wants it, so he can have it.
    You can't put a price on Worthlessness.

When did they pave it . I was there in 2010 and the gold mines were drilling all over . I guess paving mares sense with all the truck traffic .

Quote Originally Posted by Gearbox View Post
    When did they pave it . I was there in 2010 and the gold mines were drilling all over . I guess paving mares sense with all the truck traffic .
    Hi Gearbox,
    The Taylor highway from Chicken to the Alcan has been paved for a number of years. It was paved in 2010, we drove it after we drove up the Dalton. The pavement ends about a quarter mile short of Chicken. Chicken to the border is a slippery mess when its wet. 2010 was a wet year, just after we drove it a section washed out between Chicken and the border, a customs official was washed into the river and drowned.
    Here is a link to a page from the Milepost https://www.themilepost.com/pdfs/hig...lorhwy_map.pdf

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

If You’re Gonna Dream…

If you’re gonna dream, you might as well dream Big. I’ve just spent a few hours looking at maps and reading threads on ADV Rider. I’ve figured out what I want to do next summer.

Now, this is assuming that I wind up with a house in Cincinnati and get an EBR Black Lightning and get the bike modified for long rides in time. Just doing that will be a monumental feat even if I have a lot more time to get it all done. It’s not impossible, but it will require a lot of work and luck. In reality, it might take a lot longer. But when I first started out thinking about Tramping, it looked every bit as daunting, yet I was on the Road by mid May. The Luck will come into play in finding the right house and getting moved as well as getting a Black Lightning. I know a really good body man who does superb paint, and he’s volunteered to help weld up some brackets for saddlebags (thanks, Vern!), so it could happen. I can only hope and act as if it’s going to be a reality. Remember the Power of Positive Thinking.

I want to ride to the Dust to Dawson event (Don’t call it a Rally!) for the Summer Solstice, Then I want to ride up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik. There’s a road being built to Tuktoyaktuk which is on the Beaufort Sea (Arctic Ocean). I will be able to ride all the way to the Arctic Ocean. Right now, you can’t ride to Prudhoe Bay. You can only ride as far as Deadhorse, then take a bus to Prudhoe. The road to Tuktoyaktuk will be the first road to allow me or any other “Civilian” to go all the way to the Ocean on a bike. This is Adventure, Bucko! I would dearly love to be the first rider on an EBR to do it.

I’m probably ill prepared for this, but boy, will it be a ride to remember! I don’t think there’ll be WiFi along the route, so what I’ll have to do is date my Snippets as I write them, then send them out in bunches when I do find a Hot Spot. I will, of course post them on the various forums, as well.

I don’t know if my riding skills are up to the task, but if they aren’t, I bet I can develop what I need as I go along. I won’t be trying to set any time records. If I can only ride at 20 MPH while people on real dirt bikes can travel at 50, I don’t care. I just want to get there and back. After I make it back to Dawson City, I’ll have to ride over to Alaska; if for no other reason than to pick up state # 49. I’ll have picked up both the Yukon and Northwest Territories by riding to Tuktoyaktuk. I may pick up a few other Canadian Provinces along the way; I haven planned that out yet.

That’s what’s in my mind right now. It sure would be sweet if I could pull it off. I’m going to do my best to try.

For some reason my Verison phone will not work in NWT or Yucon . I borrowed a phone at the city hall in Dawson . Glad you are going to try to make D to D meet up is great the rest of the town is better .

Crusty, I saw your message on ADV, Your plan is possible. You will have to take your time and if its wet it will suck. A buddy of mine rode his Wing up to Inuvik. He lucked out with dry weather. As I recall he said if it rained he would jump out in front of the first southbound semi truck and wave the contents of his wallet to get him back to pavement. Plan on riding the Dempster early before D2D but if its wet do it after D2D. I would plan on Two days up and two days on the return. Plan on having extra gas. If the road is rough you will not be in high gear so you will not get your normal MPG.
    Cell phones: From the time you get to Canada your USA phone may not work unless you have a plan that includes Canada. I have ATT, I added a Canada plan for the phone so I can make calls. I keep that all year. During the summer months I add a data plan so I can text and check the weather. Once you start the Alcan there are only a few places that you get any service, if you have a Canada plan you should have service in the communities. Let your loved ones know there will be several days at a time where you will not have communication.

Crusty go to Key West first then head up there. It will make a better STORY! lol

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

When You Take Big BitesÖ

ÖSometimes you bite off more than you can chew. The more I investigate this ride to Tuktoyaktuk, the more daunting it looks. However, it can be done and I am determined. First off, Iím going to have to prep the bike for the trip. Iím going to have to come up with a headlight protector, an expanded metal (or something similar) radiator protector and a skid plate. While Iím in love with the Black Lightning, the suspension on a regular SX would make more sense.

For the headlight, Iím hoping that a couple of sheets of that heavy clear adhesive plastic should do the job. The radiator guards and skid plate will have to be fabricated. I doubt that anybodyís making such things yet. Another thing is that I should probably come up with some crash bars. While I think they look silly, they might save me a ton of money should I fall down while riding on a dirt road hundreds of miles away from a shop. I once saw a guy on a Moto Guzzi Eldorado go down on wet adobe clay and he slid for a distance. The bike, the rider and the passenger were all unhurt. A front crash bar might be a really good thing to have if it rains on me.

The suspension. Like I said, Iím in love with the Black Lightning. I wonder if EBR would be willing to build a ďSpecialĒ Black Lightning; one with full travel SX suspension? That would be the best of both worlds for me.

Iíll still have to get bags, or at least mounting brackets made up. Iíve got Hepco & Becker Junior bags, so all I need to do is get mounts fabricated. Vern has offered to help with that. Iíll probably want to make a flat plate to replace the passenger seat so I can carry my tent, sleeping bag and pad. Aluminum sheet about .100Ē thick should be stout enough for that. Iíll just mount some eye bolts for bungee anchors, or maybe find a set of Bungee Buddies.

Now, if the weather is dry, the trip should be fairly easy. People on Gold Wings have ridden to Inuvik without problems in the dry. But if it rains, itís supposedly a greasy version of hell to try and ride. My luck being what it usually is, Iíd better be prepared for the worst.

As for other modifications to the bike; Iíll have to remove the secondary muffler and put the exhaust tips on the main muffler. That means Iíll have to get a different ECM. Iíve read that the stock ECM has the exhaust running super hot at low RPM (thanks, EPA). I want the bike to run right no matter what the RPM is. If I have to putt along at idle or just above engine speeds, I donít want my headers glowing red. Since I havenít got a clue about how to program an ECM, I bet either the Factory or IDS can help me out there. I also will put the Corbin Comfort Seat on and a Throttlemeister cruise control. Ooh! hand guards! I just thought of that. Iíll need to get some. And that cool looking little windscreen that was on that yellow SX that was on display up in the air.

I wonder if I could get folks at the Factory to help me out? I know theyíre swamped with work trying to design things for both the existing models and new models, and theyíre trying to get their current models sold, but this could be good publicity for them. To be honest, Iíd give them all the good publicity I could for free, and will even if they canít help me.

Well, if I canít get it all done in time for this year, I know I can have it all done for 2018. I WILL ride to Tuktoyaktuk. That much I know.