Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusty's Travels

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Re: Crusty's Travels

Crater Lake is not too far off the freeway coming through Oregon. Well worth the stop and see. Of course coming from the south, there is not a lack of "gotta see" stuff.

I am doing the Run for the Wall this spring so I will be gone from May 15 till June 10 and then the Nassir Goldwing gathering in South Dakota the 2nd week of July. If I am free when you are traveling north, I would be interested in riding down to the Cannon Beach Oregon area and ride up with you.

Just a thought.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    07 Kawasaki 900 Custom LT
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter
    11 Honda PCX 125cc Scooter (hers)

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

A Belt And A Burger

I have to put the new belt and sprocket on the Roadster. I was hoping to wait until I got back from Georgia, but I think the prudent thing to do is take care of it now. The reason I was wanting to wait is because I donít want to change the wheels yet. I want to wear the tires down that are on the spoke wheels, then put the cast wheels with the new tires on, along with the new sprocket and belt at the same time.
    However, yesterday was warm and I went by the quarter car wash and cleaned the bike. Since the temp was around 62ļ F (16 C), I spent some time going over the bike with an ďUltra Absorbent Drying TowelĒ. As I was cleaning the belt guard, I was also looking at the belt, and itís looking pretty rough. The sprocket thatís on the bike really looks clapped out, so I can either change out the belt and sprocket now, and keep the steel wheels on until the tires wear down, or change out the wheels altogether. Since Iím going to be covering a lot of territory once I head out at the end of May, I want to start out with fresh tires, and hopefully theyíll last until I get back here to Taxachusetts in late July or early August. So, Iím going to swap just the belt & sprocket for now. When I put the cast wheels on in May, Iíll take the sprocket off the steel wheel and put it on the cast wheel. It really isnít that much more work.

This weekend, I need to call Vern and find out which day next week would be best for me to arrive. It wonít take very long to swap the gas tanks over, and I know the BBQ is going to be on Thursday evening, but Iíd also like to ride some of the good roads in the area. I donít know if people are planning to ride to Suches in a group, or if weíre all on our own. I usually prefer to ride solo, but it might be fun to travel with a group for a change. Iíll give him a call and see how things look before making any concrete plans.

Thatís about it for now. Iím going to go by the Supermarket and get some Cheddar cheese, Potato rolls and an onion to sauteí in butter. A really good cheeseburger with onion fried in butter and seasoned roasted Yukon Gold spuds for supper sounds quite tasty to me.
    You can't put a price on Worthlessness.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Oscillations, Vacillations and Mental MasÖ Uh; Never Mind

First off; I hope each and every one of you has a wonderful Easter Sunday. Even if youíre not Christian, I hope the day is full of love and joy for you and your loved ones.

The weather was nice today. It wasnít that warm, only about 50ļ (F) or so, but it was nice in the sun. And there was plenty of sun. I started to change out the belt and sprocket, but once I had the exhaust and belt guard off, I got a good look at the belt, and Iíve decided to wait until after I get back from Georgia and then Iíll change the wheels as well as the belt and sprocket. I know that Iím tempting Fate, but Iím going to gamble that itíll last that long. If it doesnít, then I only have myself to blame.

I retrieved the tent, pad and sleeping bag from storage. I stopped at a laundromat and washed the sleeping bag and pillow. Looking at the bike with the gear loaded kind of gave me a little thrill of anticipation. Even without bags on the bike, she looks like sheís ready to put on some miles. I stopped at an Auto Zone and bought three quarts of oil and a filter. Tomorrow, Iím going to the quarter car wash and change the oil. Then, Iíll wash the bike. Thereís a place just up the street from the car wash that takes waste oil (they have a waste oil heater), so Iíll bring the jug of used oil there.

After Iím done with that, Iíll come back to the apartment and broil a Rib Eye. I got a 12 oz beauty of a steak on my way home today, and itís going to be my Easter Dinner.

I am really looking forward to this trip. It should really be a fun time.

Right now, Iím kind of glad that the house didnít come through. I still want my own house, but Iím not quite ready to settle. I think. Aw hell; if the mortgage did come through, Iíd be every bit as excited about that, and Iíd be glad I wasnít traveling. Maybe Iím just a bit schizophrenic. I want both things simultaneously. Well; I canít have both, so Iíll just tramp around for the time being. If Iím meant to have a house, the right house will come along at the right time. This isnít the right time; thatís all.

Oh; Sam, whoever you are, Thank You once again. I will find out who you are eventually. Iím just biding my time.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Anticipation

I spoke with Vern last night. Among other things, he said that it would probably be best if I arrived on Wednesday afternoon. So, Iím heading out tomorrow morning.

That means that Iíve got a bit of stuff to get accomplished today. Not everything I was planning to do is going to happen. The weather is not going to be cooperative. Intellecast gives us a 100% chance of rain throughout the day. That means that I wonít be riding to the shop. I owe them money, so Iíll just mail them a check. I also wanted to catch the Noonie, as well as bring the old seat over to the garage, but I donít want to ride to Fitchburg in the rain with a large cardboard box bungeed to the bike. The box would be a soggy mass of pulp by the time I got there. I have to do some laundry, pack my saddlebags and get the bags and camping gear on the bike, so itíll be ready to go in the morning.

Iím full of anticipation; I havenít done any long distance riding in months. I feel a little rusty, I have to pack my bags. it probably wonít take me long, but Iím out of shape and all the stuff I normally have in them is scattered. I donít want to forget anything. Iím only going to gone for two weeks, but Iím acting like Iím going to be on the road for months. Itís just pre-ride jitters. Everything will sort itself out. This ainít my first Rodeo.

Iíve been looking at Google maps. I think Iíll ride the Tail of the Dragon on my way from Vernís to Two Wheels of Suches. Itís only a four hour ride if I go that way. Itís quicker if I go the way Google recommends, but Iíve never ridden the Tail of the Dragon. Last May, I rode the Back of the Dragon, and it was pretty nice, so Iím curious to ride the Tail. I wonder if there are any more anatomical Dragon parts that I donít know about? I would think that riding the Dragonís Intestines would be full of twists and turns. It might not smell so good, though. Iíll have to ask when I get down to Tennessee.

Iím really looking forward to getting my new gas tank on the bike. Having that extra gallon of fuel will give me a more reasonable distance between gas stops. I think the bike will look pretty good with the new tank, as well. The classic Sportster tank looks good, but it just doesnít hold enough gas for traveling. Four and a half gallons makes a lot more sense.

I have to remember to take the camera. Also the cell phone charger. T shirts, shorts and socks for a week. A pair of blue jeans and two sweatshirts. My toilet kit. My daily drugs. I donít think Iíll bring the camp stove or instant coffee. I wonít need it on this trip. I will bring the towel. I donít like the way it feels, but it does dry me off and it packs up small. I think thatís about it for now.

Itís after 6:00 AM. I think Iíll make a pot of coffee and start now. Iíll take a nap later on to make up for the sleep I lost while typing this

Iím pumped!

Try to ride the Dragon in the middle of the week and early in the day if possible. It's a fun road, but the number of people on it, and the police presence always deteriorates the fun factor. Another road to consider that is 100% better than the Dragon for just riding and enjoying the curves etc is the Cherahola Skyway. People do the Dragon to say they've done it.. the ride the Skyway and come back to do it again. It's like an adult roller coaster ride made for motorcycles with almost no traffic and some of the most beautiful scenery in the South. So says me.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mt99c7DbNz1rzb3r8o1_500.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	18267

I like all the roads in an around that area, tail of the dragon, back of the dragon, (if you ride 16a again there's a lady that operates a hot dog stand there at the bottom before you enter the road. She pulls her stand with her mc and if the weathers nice on a weekend she's there)skyline, cherahola shipway. There's not a bad road down there. If you ride to Pigeon forge I think that's what's it called watch out for the elk! I wasn't expecting to see them down there, but they have a heard down there also. I thought Pennsylvania was the only state east of the Mississippi to have a herd of elk. Safe travels, fingers crossed that you will have dry and warm weather.

Hope you have a great trip Crusty.
    Rick B
    NE Oregon
    Freedom Cruisers Riding Club
    Patriot Guard

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Lunch Stop

Itís windy and raw and Iím not used to it. The current temperature is 46ļ F (7.77ļ C) and Iím pretty chilled. Iím sitting in a McDonaldís in Dingmanís Ferry, PA drinking a Senior coffee and trying to warm up. The electric jacket helps, but my feet feel like hard lumps of clay. Make that Cold hard lumps of clay. Oh well; the lot of a Tramp is a difficult one. Or somethiní.

I like McDonaldís. Yeah, I know all about how had theyíre supposed to be. I heard all the negative propaganda from Super Size Me, but the food here tastes good, and itís reasonably priced. Iím not advocating that anyone should eat three meals a day, every day here, but itís nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe.

This morning, I hit the Truck stop on Ruby Road in Connecticut. I like to stop there when Iím setting out on a trip. Thereís a Dunkin Donuts and a Burger King there. I got a small coffee with cream from Dunkieís and a Sausage, egg, and cheese Croissandwich from the Blubber King. It cost me almost six bucks. $1.79 for the coffee (no senior discount; sorry) and $4.03 for the sandwich. In comparison, a Sausage McMuffin and a Senior coffee at Maccaís costs less than two bucks. And the Senior coffee has endless refills.

Plus, McDonaldís has free WiFi. The one time I tried to use my laptop in a Blubber King, I had to click on a sponsorís ad before I could connect to their WiFi.

Hmmmm; I wonder if I could get McDonaldís to Sponsor me?

As I said, itís cold and windy. There were signs on the Interstate warning about the high winds before crossing the Hudson River, but when I rode over the Hamilton Fish Beacon - Newburgh Bridge, they werenít that bad. Maybe I just had good timing.

The theme for todayís ride is poultry. First, I passed a truck carrying ďHigh Quality EggsĒ It was a 53 Ft. trailer, so it was carrying lots of eggs. Then I passed another Semi with a 53 ft. trailer carrying Poultry feeds. A short while later, I passed a Semi carrying cages full of chickens. I guess the Fowl weather brings them out.

Well, I guess Iíd better get back out there. Iím almost finished with my second coffee, and Iím only half way to tonightís stopping point. Iím moteling it tonight. Iím really looking forward to a hot shower.

Safe travels in the foul weather laughing.
    Dewey