Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusty's Travels

Re: Crusty's Travels

Well Crusty you do put your life, out there. Did not see this coming.

It reminds me when I was young and married with two kids, just getting by. I saw a conversion van all finished inside, tables and bed in back.
    Sweet ride I told the wife we can travel, go to Ten. Co. man it will be great. She said ok, we bought it. But the payments were now stretching our
    budget to the max. We took two trips in the three years we owned it. Sad payments just made trips impossible. Live and learn.

I have followed your travels, you had quite a year. I wish you the best of luck, what ever way, the thumb goes, up or down..

Buttset from <MO.>

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

A Bad Influence Revisited

Iíve had a number of people tell me that they enjoy reading these Snippets. They get to see the world through my eyes as I stagger around and report my thoughts and impressions. Every time I start thinking that people on a particular forum must be getting tire of my posts, somebody will pop up and tell me how much he likes reading them.

A while back, I wrote a Snippet about somebodyís spouse who was accusing me of leading him astray. After years of relaxing domesticity, my Snippets were causing him to spontaneously go hundreds of miles away for no particular reason, or at best, a trivial one. It really ticked me off. I am in no way, shape or form responsible for anybody elseís actions.

This week, I was hit with quite a different reaction. I wrote about being smitten by a house thatís for sale, and that I might be able to buy it. I had someone come back and accuse me of all kinds of things. Being schitzy; not being realistic, that I was going to go broke trying to pay the mortgage, and a whole lot more. The basic thing was that he felt betrayed. Iím supposed to be a tramp, and to want to buy a house is contrary to that and Iím letting everybody down who reads these Snippets.

If any of you feel that way, Iím sorry. For you. These little essays are reflections of what goes on in my head. Nowhere is it written that I can never try to do something different from what Iíve been doing.

Before my Heart Valve Replacement surgery, I had a nice little ranch house with a wonderful garage. My wife and I separated just before the surgery, and between the loss of her income and my inability to work for months after the surgery, I fell way behind in my debts. Eventually, even though I went back to work and was working seven days a week, I couldnít dig myself out of the financial hole I was in. The Mortgage company foreclosed and I had to file Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. It hurt me real bad. I felt that Iíd had my one shot at having my dream home, and it was gone.

Now, I have an opportunity to get another house. I donít know if I can get a mortgage; itís only been 3 years since I filed Chapter 7. I donít know if Iíll get approved for enough to buy the house. And, I donít know if I really even want that house. I havenít been inside yet; it might be a nightmare that needs truckloads of money thrown at it to make it livable. But Iím going to try. I have nothing to lose by trying.

And, Yes; if I get the house, my tramping will be on the back burner for a while. If this bothers you, I suggest that you just Deal with it. This is my life. I live by my own rules. I donít hurt anybody intentionally, and I try to help people when I can. But Iíll be hanged if Iíll live to satisfy somebody elseís expectations.
    You can't put a price on Worthlessness.

Crusty, I personally think that most of your readers are very understanding and supportive of your situation and your goals, holding none of these against you. Probably more respect for your determination, directness and honesty than you may know. I have enjoyed reading your activities and have been impressed by your ingenuity and ability to deal with about any issue that may confront you. But, on the other hand, would totally be in your corner if your house deal comes through and you get a little stability in your life and sort of take a break from the "tramp" life for a while....You have had enough major issues for one soldier to have to deal with for a while. Peace.

You don't owe me nothing. I enjoy reading your snippets along with everyone else. It's your life, live it your way. I personally hope you get that house.

Quote Originally Posted by samoanrich View Post
    you don't owe me nothing. I enjoy reading your snippets along with everyone else. It's your life, live it your way. I personally hope you get that house.
    RIDE TO LIVE !

You owe no one except yourself. Live your life the way you choose and if someone else doesn't like it, well that too bad. If it really bothers them that you choose to buy a hose, let them step up and pay for your travels.
    Rick B
    NE Oregon
    Freedom Cruisers Riding Club
    Patriot Guard

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

What a Long, Strange Trip Itís Been

On May 14 last year, I left my apartment around 8:00 AM, rode over to my Storage garage and left the last items that I was going to store there. I then climbed on my bike and set out in a direction I hadnít been planning on to begin my Great Adventure.

I look back to that start as significant. I had been planning on riding down to the Mass. Turnpike; instead, I spontaneously went west on the Mohawk Trail. I did not want any constraints placed on my traveling, other than those required for my health. Thatís pretty much how the past 10 months have gone.

Iíve seen indescribable beauty, Iíve visited old friends, made new friends, been disappointed and found unexpected joys. I traveled in 44 US states and flew to Australia for three months. I saw exciting races with photo finishes, ate some great meals and spent more time in McDonaldís than I care to admit (usually writing Snippets).Iíve had Big Horn Sheep walk beside me, deer almost walk into my tent and an armadillo ran through my campsite. I ate Beignets and drank Chicory coffee at the Cafe du Monde. I met a waitress in Iowa who captured my heart, and I donít even know why. Iíve had friends that I didnít know I had as well as some I did know cough up cash so I could go to Australia. I had people welcome me warmly and I wore out my welcome with a couple of other folks. I said Good Bye to a friend whoís drinking himself to death. I saw my old Sportster, that Iíd lovingly built in the mid 90s as a rusted, corroded hulk after being left out in the salt air for ten years or so. I got it cleaned up to the point that I got it to start and run which was pretty neat.

Now, Iím preparing to start out again. Next week, Iím heading out for Tennessee to see Vern and put my freshly painted Custom gas tank on the Roadster. From there, Iím heading for Suches, Georgia for a Buell enthusiastís rally. After the rally, Iím going to visit with my sister and her husband in North Carolina, then head back up to Massachusetts.

In May, the next phase will begin. I have more places to visit than I can possibly get to on the list, which is the way it should be. I hope to chalk off the four contiguous States that I didnít get to last summer, and I plan to get up into Canada and see the Canadian Rockies and a bunch of other people and places.

As far as the house I was smitten by goes, I got the word today that I canít get a mortgage big enough to buy it. The most Iíll get is still 15 grand too little. Brian, the guy I was dealing with, said that the best plan is to save up for a year, then try again next year. My credit will be better, and my savings will be the down payment. That makes sense to me. Itís a bit of a disappointment, but itís not a tragedy.

In the meantime, yesterday was the first day of Spring. Summerís Coming!

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

When you get close to Washington State, stop by for an more interesting tour of Seattle than the guides will give you. If you do come this far west, the only way to come here is over highway 20, not highway 2 or I-90. Be sure to gas up in Winthrop as there is 90 miles of mountain pass / park road between stations.

It is nice to meet some common friends in a different town. Rest here enough to get your strength back to run down the west coast.

This is highway 20 in June of 2012.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NCascadesPass.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	18228

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12274192_10207749398203137_9126205847377184664_n_zps5st69tkn.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	18229

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Larry, I've put you on my list. I plan to head north from the San Francisco area where my brother lives through Oregon and Washington into Canada. Then to the Canadian Rockies.
    I don't know if that plan will hold up as I get out in that direction, but it's what I'm thinking now.

p.s. I love that shirt.
    Last edited by Crusty; 03-23-2016 at 08:32 AM. Reason: I wanted to.

Let me know if you get to the NW.