Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusty's Travels

Site Supporter

Crusty's Travels

One of the folks over on the XL Forum (EXNAUTI) suggested that I start a thread and name it Crusty's Travels. I could include all the details about my traveling, motorcycle modifications and whatever else I put down in writing relating to being a Tramp. It would make it easier for me and for those folks who enjoy following my misadventures. The XL Forum has more designated areas than I can keep up with, and I wasn't sure where the appropriate place to post was.

Here on Moto Campers, it's a lot easier; I just post on the General Forum. However, I needed a title for the next phase of my Tramping about, so I decided to steal the title that EXNAUTI came up with.

As always, if the Moderators have any problem with my doing this, I'll stop immediately.

I'm not traveling yet, but I will be soon. Here's my latest snippet about it:

Progress Towards Perfection

The rear turn signals on the Roadster have been relocated. It was a Royal Pain in the Butt job. Partly because I was doing it for the first time, but mostly because the Official Turn Signal Relocation Kit from Harley was designed by a moron. I wonít describe the personal details of his shortcomings, but ďtalented engineerĒ is not one of the terms I used when being vocal. What should be one to two hour job took me about six hours. Of course, I could probably do it in less than half that time now, but I probably wonít ever have to do that job again. At least, I hope not. I could go into a real ranting diatribe about the kit, but all Iíll say is that if I had to do it over again, Iíd get a kit from some other source.

Tomorrow, Iím bringing the cast wheels over to the shop to pull the wheel bearings out and put new wheel bearings in. Iíll also pick up my belt and sprocket while Iím there. Dondi is giving me a ride to the shop. Well, kind of. Sheís coming over to Hudson where weíll load the wheels into her car, then Iíll drive over to Malden. She hates to drive in the city. If I can get the bearings changed out relatively quickly, Iíll treat Dondi to lunch at Nanaís Pizzeria. They make great pizza.

The next item in the Transformation is to bring the bike and the H&B Mounts to the Fabricator. Hopefully, it wonít cost an arm and a leg to get the mounts modified to fit on the Roadster. Once thatís done, theyíll be off to the Powder Coater.

I got my taxes done at the Accountantís and Iím getting a refund from both the State and the Feds. That means that Iíll be able to order the 30 Liter Junior bags as soon as my refund is direct deposited into my Checking account. I might just have the hard bags on the bike before I set out for Vernís in just a few weeks

Itís all coming together!
    You can't put a price on Worthlessness.

Re: Crusty's Travels

Good to hear you are on schedule. Keep us posted!
    Rick B
    NE Oregon
    Freedom Cruisers Riding Club
    Patriot Guard

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Step By Step

Itís been warm the past couple of days, and itís supposed to stay fairly warm (for March) right through the next ten days according to Intellicast. Wednesday, it almost hit 80ļ F, and there were hundreds of bikes out . It seemed like everybody who owned a bike left work early and went out for a ride. That was a truly beautiful sight.

Yesterday, Dondi came by and we loaded up the cast wheels into her car and went over to the shop to use the blind hole bearing puller. Little Guy pulled the bearings for me, and I got new bearings and spacers to put in the wheels. We were actually out of there in less than an hour! I think that might be some sort of record.

At any rate, it was high noon when we left the shop, so we went to Nanaís Pizza in Everett for lunch. I love their pizza. Then we came back to Hudson. It was raining for most of the day, so I didnít really feel like going anywhere. Instead, I did something I rarely do. I took an afternoon nap. That actually worked out in my favor as last night was the opening round of the AMA Flat Track season at Daytona and I was wide awake and watched it live on Fans Choice TV.

Today, Iím going over to the Garage and Iím going to bring back my Tire Irons as well as my bearing Installer tool and Iíll put the bearings and spacers in the hub and mount the tires. Iíll save balancing them for a later date. Part of me wants to install the brake rotors and belt sprocket on the wheels and put them on the bike, but it makes more sense to just leave the spoke wheels on until I wear down the tires that are on them.

Tonight is round 2 of the AMA Flat track series. Iíll be in front of the Laptop for the evening.

Donít forget to set your clocks on Saturday night for Daylight Savings time. Spring Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    One of the folks over on the XL Forum (EXNAUTI) suggested that I start a thread and name it Crusty's Travels. I could include all the details about my traveling, motorcycle modifications and whatever else I put down in writing relating to being a Tramp. It would make it easier for me and for those folks who enjoy following my misadventures. The XL Forum has more designated areas than I can keep up with, and I wasn't sure where the appropriate place to post was.
    It’s all coming together!
    I tried to follow your adventure in another Wing site but posting there stopped.
    MAY I suggest in your signature[s] post your URL's to your other postings sites.

Ride safe.
    Never mind the ROCKS
    LET'S ROLL!

When was the last time you tasted your oil?

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Back And Forth

I just went back and read a few Snippets from last Spring. I could feel the anticipation all over again. There is a magic to being on the road that permeates pretty much all my actions. Even when I feel like settling down, the road calls me.

Watching the Short Track races from Daytona the past couple of nights didnít help things. Sitting here in my room watching the races on my Laptop has made me want to attend one. Thereís a Half Mile in Texas right by the Circuit of the Americas thatís going to run during the Moto GP weekend which is the weekend following Glitch Badness (the rally Iím going to in Georgia). I could make that. I checked ticket prices, and, theyíre pretty high for a Flat Track race. 55 bucks is too high, in my opinion. Then again, I bet theyíre really stuffing people for tickets to the Moto GP. (I didnít check the prices). Still, itís a track Iíve never been to, and it would probably be fun. It would destroy my budget, but it is doable.

No; I think it would be better to stick to my original plan and return to Massachusetts after the rally (after a short visit in Fayetteville). I want to do a lunch (or breakfast) with the Badwebbers in the Northeast, and I want to finish the metamorphosis of the Roadster. If I blow the money for the hard bags on an overpriced race, Iíll regret it. Besides, Iím going to see the Springfield Mile on Memorial Day weekend. Thereís no better venue in the world for close, action packed racing.

Still, the excitement and anticipation is there in the background. Itís kind of a quiet hum. Iím pretty sure it will grow as I get closer to the end of May and my kick off for the West Coast.

A while back, Dondi asked me if I was addicted to traveling. I am. I might want to settle down at times, but the Urge is always there. It ainít a bad addiction to have.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Inch By Inch

Well, the wheel bearings are in and the front tire is mounted on the cast wheels. The rear isnít because Iím going to have to take the wheel over to Fitchburg and use the bead breaker on the NoMar to break the bead loose. Iíll bring my tire irons and mounting lube along, and maybe Iíll be able to mount the tire without having to kneel on a garage floor. Even though the NoMar isnít bolted to the floor, I think I can still use it. Itís worth a try; my knees really donít like concrete floors any more. I guess that the NoMar spoiled me. There are a few tire shops around, so Iíll stop by one of them to inflate the new tires. I have my compressor in the garage, but thereís no power there, so it doesnít help a bit. Sometimes I really miss my garage at the house on Mill Street. (I miss the house, too, but I wonít get into that, right now ) Iíll bring the balancing stand back to Hudson and balance the wheels here. Iím not going to put the cast wheels on until I wear down the tires on the spoke wheels. That will probably be after my trip to Tennessee and Georgia. Iíd like to put them on before; but tires are expensive, and I want to get my moneyís worth out of the tires that are already mounted.

People have been asking for pictures, but there really isnít much to show. I could take a picture of the bike with the relocated Turn signals, I suppose; but thatís not much of a change. Maybe I will, anyhow. Then I could take a photo of the wheels sitting in the garage. I canít take a picture of the tank yet Ďcause itís in Tennessee. I will take pictures of the bike when everything is assembled on it. I promise.

Next up will be bringing the bike over to the fabricatorís (welderís) to see about getting the bag mounts set up for the bike. Iíll do that this week. I hope it wonít be too expensive.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Some Days Are Like That

The day started with a plan. Dondi was going to come over and I was going to load up the rear wheel, new tire and some tools and go over to the storage garage in Fitchburg. One there, Iíd pop the bead with the NoMar and remove the tire. Then, Iíd mount the Michelin on the wheel. I also brought along the front wheel that had itís new tire mounted, but it hadnít had any air put in yet.

We got to the garage and I rearranged things so that the NoMar was up front near the door. That way, I would have maximum light and a little more room for maneuvering. But no matter how I tried, I couldnít get the bead to break I fought with it for a while, then decided to just take the wheel to a Tire shop and ask them to break the bead for me. I hit two tire shops and neither would do it. They were afraid of a motorcycle wheel. So, I took it over to Central Mass Powersports where the guy behind the Service Desk took the wheel out back and returned two minutes later with the bead on both sides broken. When I asked how much I owed him, he said, ďNo ChargeĒ and wished me a nice day. So, I went back to the garage, took off the old tire and mounted the new one. Then we went to the closest tire shop and inflated both wheels.

After that, we went to the Gold Bowl Chinese Restaurant, and we had a very tasty lunch. We had to kill a little time until 3:30 when I was supposed to meet Scotty and get a piece of dense foam to make kneeling pads from. I had asked him in an e-mail and he said no problem, so I told him Iíd be there by the back door when he got off work. That all happened as planned. I got to talk with Brian and John Husar, who I used to work with for a few minutes, then Scott came out and gave me a 4 ft. square piece of 2-1/2Ē thick foam. I guess theyíve been busy the past couple of years and theyíve got a ton of it laying around.

So; the old tire got removed, the new tire installed and both wheels were inflated to factory spec, Dondi and I went to the Loonie Noonie, we ate some (too much, actually) pretty good Chinese food and I got the foam to make kneeler pads from. It was a fairly successful day.

We got to the garage and I rearranged things so that the NoMar was up front near the door. That way, I would have maximum light and a little more room for maneuvering. But no matter how I tried, I couldnít get the bead to break I fought with it for a while, then decided to just take the wheel to a Tire shop and ask them to break the bead for me.
    I just changed the rear tire (180/65B-16) on my Ultra yesterday using my No-Mar. I also was struggling to break the bead. You might want to get a 36" piece of black pipe (sch 40) 1-1/4" in diameter to place over the arm of the bead breaker to give you more leverage. That's what I'm planning to do after this last tire bead breaking experience. I also had trouble using the mount/demount bar to mount the new tire. Usually I place the new tire out in the sun for awhile which softens it up a bit but it wasn't very warm by my house yesterday. I ended up using the No-Mar spoon bars to install the new tire which was surprisingly fairly easy.

and get a piece of dense foam to make kneeling pads from. I had asked him in an e-mail and he said no problem, so I told him Iíd be there by the back door when he got off work. That all happened as planned.
    I know some people use the kneeling pads from Walmart in the gardening department. I sometimes use old pillows or a Proflex 380 kneeling pad. Pricey, yes....
    http://www.ergodyne.com/products/pag...PRD=181&PCA=41

http://amzn.com/B002BDTWB2
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Hoo Boy!

This is kind of weird. This morning, I just happened to stumble across a real estate listing for a house in Fitchburg, and as soon as I saw it, I got the same feeling that I got the first time I saw the listing for my old house in Leominster. Itís a feeling that I can only describe as this house looks like it should belong to me. Did you ever look at someone who just sat on a bike at a dealership, and you knew that was the right bike for him (or her)? Thatís the way I felt when I saw the listing. So I did the reasonable thing; I drove by and looked it over from outside. It looks pretty nice. I looked through the windows; the house is empty, but I can see me living there. It just calls to me.

I talked to a friend, Johnny Donut about it. Heís a good guy and knows a lot of people around Fitchburg. He turned me on to a Realtor who I called as soon as I got home. The Realtor, in turn turned me on to a Mortgage Broker. We spoke a bit on the phone, and I may just be able to buy a house! I have to go over to my storage garage and dig out some paperwork, and weíll take it from there.

If it all happens, it will drastically alter my plans. I wonít be going to nearly as many places as I thought. I wonít be doing much tramping. But Iíll have a Home. I will still be able to do some traveling, just not like I have been doing. If it doesnít happen, then Iíll fall back on my plans for this summer. Itís looking like a win/win situation to me. If it all goes through, then Iíll have my home and garage, which will be pretty sweet. I really would like my own home. If it all falls apart, then Iíll get to see my brother Tony, who I havenít seen for something like 12 years and the Canadian Rockies, which Iíve never seen.

Life is what happens while youíre busy making other plans. Iíve been making plans, but this blind sided me. Iím just going to do the Next Right Thing and see where it takes me.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Details, Details

Today was a gathering Paperwork kind of day. I had to e-mail copies of my last two tax returns, plus a copy of my Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and I also had to write a Letter of Explanation about why I filed for Bankruptcy. I got all the paperwork together, and got a very helpful Librarian to help me scan and attach 8 pages to an e-mail back to the Mortgage guy. We spoke a bit this morning, and he seems to think it will happen, but heís not making any promises. He also went over what I can expect the mortgage to run on a monthly basis. I can pay it, but Iíll be looking for a room mate. If I have to live there alone, I wonít be doing very much traveling.

In the meantime, I took pictures of the turn signals and the wheels with the tires mounted. I keep telling people that you canít really see much change, yet they want pictures, so Iíll try to attach them. You can see the NoMar in the photo of the wheels. It doesn't work nearly as well when it's not bolted to the floor. but it's still better than having to kneel on concrete and levering tires on the rim.

Iím still going to Tennessee and Georgia for the rally on April 1-3, and Iíll still visit with my Sister and Brother in law. What Iím doing after that depends on what the mortgage guy has to say after the underwriters look at my financial info. If it looks like a Go, then my travel will be severely curtailed for this year. If I get a thumbs down, then Iíll be looking at the best routes to all the places I want to see.
    As I said in my last Snippet, itís a Win/Win kind of situation. If I get the mortgage, I win; but I wonít be doing many long rides. If I donít get a mortgage, then I win and get to travel far and wide; but I wonít have my own home. At least for this year. Next year, my credit will be a bit better, and the probability of getting approved for a mortgage will be higher, but Iím not going to project too far into the future.

On a more negative note, the weather forecast is for a foot of snow this Sunday night and Monday.