Thread: Erecting a Tent in the rain

Erecting a Tent in the rain

My thoughts on erecting a tent in the rain.

This only works if your tent clips to the poles. If you have to slide the poles thru a sleeve you may be out of luck; at least for this idea.

After reading several threads about setting up in the rain I found it interesting that some folks were talking about putting up their rainfly prior to setting up the tent. I have a Kelty Arcadia which minus the rainfly is totally screened, so if it's raining it's going to have a very wet floor by the time I attach the rainfly. The Arcadia doesn’t have free standing poles and I couldn’t understand how other’s were accomplishing this task. In order to erect just the rainfly, the poles need to be placed and self supporting. That was the issue. So I tried searching for a solution but couldn’t come up with a response, so after putting in a little thought I came up with this. Likely it's is how others do it, but who knows. Anyway, this may help someone with similar concerns.

First started by setting up the tent (minus the fly). This’ll make more since when you look at the photos. Anyway, took a length of cord and ran it around the tent. Then placed knot loops at the length of the four sides. At the end of the cord I left additional loops for a small S hook. I used the S hook so I haven't doubled the thickness of the loop around the pole. The tent poles I have are tapered so I made each loop just large enough to accept the end of the pole. If it's too large it will slide up the pole. (If your poles are hollow you could attach a small S hook to the loop and clip into the bottom of the poles).

To hold the poles upright I used a twist tie (keeps the poles from falling over. A few layers of electrical tape around the poles will keep the twist tie from sliding down the poles.

This assembly is pretty solid; can pick it up and move it around if need be. Now throw the rainfly over the poles, stake it in a couple places to keep it from sliding off and you’re ready to crawl under and erect the tent. Place the poles ends in their appropriate fittings and clip the tent up. You can leave the cord or remove it and use as a cloths-line, your choice. Again, I can only imagine this works if your tent clips to the poles

The photos will help you decipher my narrative.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Re: Erecting a Tent in the rain

Nice! A cheap, compact way to eliminate the footprint, which is otherwise required to set up a tent fly-first.
    2005 Ural Tourist, 2001 Triumph Tiger 955i, IBA #23064

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

You have some good suggestions.

I have done a dry run on this setup with the rain fly first and similar to your procedure. Instead of the rope going around the poles, I merely cut a slit in the turf for the pole to set in. I use a bread tie to keep the poles standing as you did. I like the use of a rope. Using two pieces of cordage one could of crossed from one side to the other.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
    Nice! A cheap, compact way to eliminate the footprint, which is otherwise required to set up a tent fly-first.
    You'd still need a footprint under the tent. I just left off that step in the narrative.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Great info RJ, I've never tried setting mine up without the footprint. This looks like it would work great!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Quote Originally Posted by RJ-97 View Post
    You'd still need a footprint under the tent. I just left off that step in the narrative.
    What I meant was, an alternative to buying the expensive, tent-specific footprint sold by the tent manufacturer.