Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the Synmat 12 LXW?

Anyone tried the Synmat 12 LXW?

It seems like a super chunky mat. I'm equating thick with comfortable- although I'm still at the recon stage of this camping lark, so might be talking out of my jacksie

If I were to buy said item, I wonder if getting a cot to fit might be an issue, given it's whacking size.

I would welcome alternative set ups for a chunky middle aged feller, who really really, would like to bring his bed from home with him, if he could

Re: Anyone tried the Synmat 12 LXW?

Can't give you any input on the Synmat 12, but sure like the cool way you English lads word things ...

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    Can't give you any input on the Synmat 12, but sure like the cool way you English lads word things ...
    Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrSECcj5V7w

I found bunch of camping cots just googling it that are wider and longer than the Synmat 12LXW air mattress so you shouldn't have a problem picking one that works with this set up. Good luck.
    ST1300, tent, coffee... check lets hit the road

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

What size is your tent?
    Getting a cot to fit that pad might just be too big to fit inside your tent due to the height/length of the cot, especially if the side walls are slanted inwards to any degree. (never mind the packed size it will take up!)
    I use the Synmat 9 LW and find it very comfortable for use on the ground in my tent.
    I'm a side sleeper, just under 6' tall and am at least 255 LB during the summer
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Teton Sports makes cots that are 8" x 32" and 85" x 40" if that would work for you and will fit inside your tent. My old self needs to be off the ground.

Karen

(Threadstarter)

Thanks for your input peeps. I think I have a handle on it. Probably going for an Thermarest XL. Costs quite a bit more on my side of the pond than yours

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance Man View Post
    Thanks for your input peeps. I think I have a handle on it. Probably going for an Thermarest XL. Costs quite a bit more on my side of the pond than yours
    We use those in our camper ... They work well, we get a good nights sleep on 'em ...

Having had back surgery has thrown lots of varibles into my mix.
    I bought a $3500. Sterns and foster mattress that I made them come and pick it up. (Get this after one night )
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp_16728-20131223_124014-1615681076.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	486.1 KB 
ID:	17951 well anyhow my point is that I have gone to great lengths to get a good night sleep!
    I replaced the s&f with two different sealy mattresses. And then bought xl camping pad from cabelas
    But wasn't firm enough so I went with sea to Summit camping pad with great results except that it is very skinny. In the width.
    I have yet to get it out of the bedroom and then use but for me the variable of the pad have left me with countless hours of sleep!
    I may have babbled but I hope that this helps.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

If you can, find a camping dealer who will let you set up a cot and try different pads on it, so you can make the right choice for yourself!