Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Luke! Come to the Dark Side!

Re: Luke! Come to the Dark Side!

Try not only the "car" tire on the rear, but also a "Battlax" on the front....which is generally used as a rear on some Harleys. Had this setup, using a Yoko rear and the Battlax on the front for about 3 years now...second for each, getting almost 40k from the previous rear and presently have about 22k on the front...quite a bit of Aspen Classic towing time on these and really like the setup...smooth, quiet, good wet weather comfort and special sense of safety when towing and 2-up.

So..earlier this week I had purchased a spare rim that came with a CT installed. The tire is a Goodyear Assurance 175/60-16..still has plenty of tread left. Checked the pressure of the tire, it was at 35lbs. Cleaned up the rim as it was covered with a lot of brake dust. Got up early this morning and mounted the CT to get the feel of Darkside.

Went two up and started out slowly to see if there were any handling issue and to get feel...gotta say I really didn't feel that much of a difference. Went for a "short" ride..mostly back roads, did about 136 miles. Will keep the CT on for a couple weeks and see how I like it.

I had a set of Bridgestones (G709/G704) with about 6300 miles since install in Nov 2015
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 65,000+ miles
    1995 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

Quote Originally Posted by wingpilot96 View Post
    So..earlier this week I had purchased a spare rim that came with a CT installed. The tire is a Goodyear Assurance 175/60-16..still has plenty of tread left. Checked the pressure of the tire, it was at 35lbs. Cleaned up the rim as it was covered with a lot of brake dust. Got up early this morning and mounted the CT to get the feel of Darkside.

Went two up and started out slowly to see if there were any handling issue and to get feel...gotta say I really didn't feel that much of a difference. Went for a "short" ride..mostly back roads, did about 136 miles. Will keep the CT on for a couple weeks and see how I like it.

I had a set of Bridgestones (G709/G704) with about 6300 miles since install in Nov 2015
    Wha? You didn't crash and burn? Thank God!

Glad you liked it. Play around with the pressure. If it is a run flat, most run about 28-30 PSI.
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Quote Originally Posted by bvail View Post
    Wha? You didn't crash and burn? Thank God!

Glad you liked it. Play around with the pressure. If it is a run flat, most run about 28-30 PSI.
    No...no C&B...just rolling along..singing a song...bye.bye.bye!!!!

I'm on my second Good Year Assurance the Triple-Tred variation. I run the rear at 32 and get fairly even tread wear across the face. But I'm on an ST, not a Wing.

Like the tire, doesn't seem to have the tendency to snap-back when coming out of a corner under power that my other c/t tires did.
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

No doubt that car tires are a lower cost, higher mileage and higher load capacity than the typical motorcycle tire. I still wouldn't use them. They're not as safe as a motorcycle tire and they certainly don't handle as well.
    It's all about choices!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEZeR9E3JyY
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Yikes, reincarnating a 3.5 year old thread lol...

But since we're here...I dark sided my goldwing last year. It was my second attempt in the matter. I tried something that was highly recommended last time (yokohama avid), and it just wasn't comfortable. Took it on a long ride to wisconsin I think it was, and it was not confidence inspiring. I put the moto tire back on.

Gave it some more thought in 2019, and looked around at options again. This time around I used the Bridgestone Drive guard. I barely know its not a moto tire.

I dont know anyone with the statistics to make claims about how "safe" one is versus the other. In my case, hauling myself, 6'3, 285#, woman, cargo, time out tongue weight.........I'm putting that onto a tire that is designed to take the weight of a CAR. Not to mention, it's a run flat tire, so I shouldnt have a dramatic blow out if one were to occur, and I can also drive up to 50 miles without air in it.......so really, is it LESS safe than a motorcycle tire? It's a hard argument.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    I dont know anyone with the statistics to make claims about how "safe" one is versus the other.
    A motorcycle rim with a motorcycle tire was designed to be safer than a car tire on a motorcycle rim. The Tire and Rim association (TRA) came up with a standard that each of the problem forces in a motorcycle tire be counteracted by two opposing forces for redundancy. The car tire on a motorcycle rim doesn't have that redundancy in the bead. It's up to you whether you agree if that is important or provides any extra safety.

And you know this how????

Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post
    A motorcycle rim with a motorcycle tire was designed to be safer than a car tire on a motorcycle rim. The Tire and Rim association (TRA) came up with a standard that each of the problem forces in a motorcycle tire be counteracted by two opposing forces for redundancy. The car tire on a motorcycle rim doesn't have that redundancy in the bead. It's up to you whether you agree if that is important or provides any extra safety.
    Yeah, riding a motorcycle is in itself dangerous. It's about mitigating and managing those risks. Some choose not to wear helmets, some choose to use a car tire. I'm a 'different strokes for different folks' kinda guy. I don't care about one particular side of the argument too much.