Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evo Harley Camshafts/Compression and towing...

Re: Evo Harley Camshafts/Compression and towing...

Thanks guys!

I'll look into grabbing an Andrews EV13 Cam. A few friends have touted the benefits of the EV27's, but they don't tow trailers... Or have stroked engines.

I'll see about pulling in some stock jets for her,= and get a baseline. The pilot jets on mine are a little weird. I went to replace the needle that was in it and it was an aftermarket unit a lot longer than the stock ones... Fellow I bought it from had someone install it, but couldn't remember which brand.

I wouldn't mind getting a set of freer flowing mufflers with a downturn outlet on her. She had true duals on when I bought her that kept cracking at the headpipe. I put the stock system back on her, mostly because of the reverberation off the trailer in the mountains. Even with ear plugs, she was wailing pretty good...

Cheers,

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Thanks guys!I'll look into grabbing an Andrews EV13 Cam. A few friends have touted the benefits of the EV27's, but they don't tow trailers... Or have stroked engines.
    I don't follow. I thought in your initial post you said you had a stock 80 ci Evo??? Am I reading this incorrectly? You say your friends don't have a stroked engine.......in the context it is written, it sounds like you have a stroked engine.
    In general
    Andrews EV13 for Baggers
    Andrews EV27 for Softails
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

HarleyJack

I thinketh he shud have said 'or they have stroked engines'
    2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra

Have you considered a change in drive ratio instead? It wont give you any more power but it will let you use what you have.
    2013 HD Tri Glide
    HOG, IBMC, NRA, NHRA, AWS

Zach
    What are the total miles on your bike? Also do you find you are doing a lot of towing in the mountains or hills? What rpm's/speed are you cruising at? I'm asking because the final drive ratio might be a good option based on current speed/rpm, terrain. If you have a low mileage motor, and you are happy most of the time a cam might not be the only option.
    Russ

Thanks guys,

Sorry I wasn't clear... My friends that like the 27, have big engines or have them in dyna's and light weight bikes. I was afraid of following their advice and ending up with something that didn't have the torque to tow.

Good call on final drive gearing, I've looked at changing the primary ratio as that is fairly straight forward to add 10% of torque all around. My 94 already has a 70 tooth rear pulley.

My bike has around 30k miles on it, I lost the speedometer/odometer on it half way through a cross country run.

Flat land I put her in 5th, and roll around 70mph on the highway. If I have a big head wind I've found the throttle stop on I95 when traffic wants to run 80mph. Through the rockies I was 60mph or so, though spooled up in 4th and 3rd at times. That puts her around 4,000 rpm up the hills.

She did like the ethanol free gas out in Iowa... Had a lot more power, particularly when it cooled off after dark.

Cheers,

Zach

HarleyJack

there weren't many gear ratio options back then , the only final drive I recall was Harley had a 61 tooth that replaced the 70 on the rear , Euro pulley it was called , I put one on my 1988 Tour Glide when the time came around to change the belt , became a dog .. Primary is about the only viable option .. 5th shud be a bit over 3000 at 70 mph ..

I would install the new cam before changing any transmission pulley. With your 70 tooth rear pulley and your 32 tooth transmission pulley you have a final drive ratio of
    (70/32) x (36/25) = 3.15. That already puts you at 2964 rpms at 70 mph. Lots of information on the Andrews website.

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites...014-page28.pdf

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites...014-page29.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    An Andrews 21 cam would be an excellent choice for low end torque, with no octane issues ... ... While you're having the cylinders & heads off, a port & polish of the heads would do wonders to wake up that 80 incher ...

G
    oops wrong thread

Now I'll get this right, Andrews EV-27 is a cam for the touring bikes, tons of low end torque. I had it in a 93 FXLR light weight bike and it ran fantastic. I could beat a 90 FXRS with a 88" stroker off the line but he would get me on the top end. The cam has pulling power for the heavier bikes.

Also look at a Hayden Cam Tensioner for the primary chain. This thing will make your shifter clunk go away and it will just "click" when shifted. Never will you have to tighten the chain. http://www.haydensm6.com/m6_bt65.htm

if not mentioned change the Compensator will its all apart.

Karen
    I wish I knew my new to me GL as much I know that 93 FXLR...I sure miss that sweet ride