Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bavaria - the southeast of Germany

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

Re: Bavaria - the southeast of Germany

Motorbike rental

Renting a bike for one or two weeks is expensive but cheaper than shipping your own bike two times over the atlantic ocean.

I think Munich is the best location to start and end a journey through Bavaria.
    So I will list only rental stations in the biggest city and capital of the Free State.

I do not talk about prices, they may change. Check yourself !
    The three first have an english pricelist.

Bike & Travel Service

Allround Car & Motorbike Rental

House of Flames

Motorradsport Holzleitner (sorry only german, I will help to translate, if help is needed)

Tom

36 years bike adventure - Malaguti Ronco 40 - Zündapp Super Combinette - Fantic 50 Trial - Yamaha XV 750 SE - Moto Guzzi V7 850 GT - Yamaha SR-X6 - Honda ST 1100 (1994) - ST 1100 (2001) and now a Honda GL 1800 (2001) plus a Moto Guzzi V35 (1981) - 375,000 kilometers fun

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

The German Bundesautobahn !

It is a legend that you can drive everywhere as fast as possible on a german highway.

But heavy traffic and trucks prevent that often and many highways have speed limit signs up to 130 km/h (80 mph).
    On Bundesstrassen (Federal Roads) and other roads outside of villages and cities is a general speed limit of 100 km/h (62 mph).

But there is a traffic sign, that has a special meaning, if you drive on a german federal highway, and in Bavaria as the home of BMW and Audi you have more of that signs than in other german states.

If it is not dangerous for other people (your freedom ends at the border of the freedom of your neighbour), you can drive as fast as you are able to stop again on the part of the road you can see before you. German cars normally are limited to 250 km/h (155 mph) but you can change that or pay a little bit more for unlimited speed.

I know now my Honda ST1100 runs 216 km/h and thats okay for half an hour, but the fuel consumption is VERRY BIG !!!

And any crash will be lethal. Here on the unlimited A 92 the senior of a big furniture company killed himself and another car driver when he hit a passed Audi with nearly 300 km/h in his heavy Mercedes S600.

But early on a cold sunday morning you can beat your Hayabusa and have 70 km free road. You meet only BMW test drivers from the factory located in Dingolfing direct at the A 92 (picture below). The plant is open for factory tours, but not on sundays and the bikes are made in Berlin-Spandau.

Tom

But driving in Germany is very safe !!!

In 2010 there have been killed in traffic accidents 45 of one million inhabitants, in the US (source) it have been 107 of one million inhabitants in the same year.

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

The Center of Central Europe

If you start your trip through central Europe you can reach following cities easy by car or bike from Munich.

Regensburg in 1 h 15 min
    Salzburg in 1 h 30 min
    Passau in 1 h 55 min
    Heidelberg in 3 h 30 min
    Prague in 4 h
    Vienna in 4 h 25 min
    Venice in 5 h 30 min
    Berlin in 6 h 15 min

Tom

14 limited & 07 Bunkhouse white83's Avatar

Hello Tom,

That is a great write-up about your home country.

I have had the opportunity to ride in your country and in Bavaria as well, I had a good friend from Wiesau Germany who guided me through the area and it was some of the nicest roads and great food.

My wife and I would like to make another trip over and ride with y friends again.

I will have to look through some of notes to see where we actually rode during our day trip.

Roger

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

München = Munich, the capital of the Free State of Bavaria

Munich as city is worth to visit a few days and it is more fun to drive it with a motorcycle than with a car. I lived there since my fifth year and had a 50 cc Malaguti from my 16th year and a 750 cc Yamaha with 20.

At the age of 30 we left the city and bought a house 150 km outside in the Bavarian Forest, because to live in Munich is expensive. Most Germans wish to live in Munich, because of the good economy and beautiful landscapes around, so the prices for houses or flats to rent or to buy are ridiculous high and very difficult to afford with a normal wage.

As tourist without local knowledge you will reach all the places to see much better with public transport than with a rented bike. The city has a good system of subway (U-Bahn), regional trains (S-Bahn), trams and buses. As tourist get a day ticket to discover the city.

Munich is a very safe city and a very good example for a modern tolerant and multicultural society. 28,5 % of the 1.521.678 inhabitants have no german passport (221.070 from other EU countries + 198.321 from non-EU-countries + 15.000 refugees) and 9 % more have it, but are not born in Germany (Data from 31.12.2015). But there are no issues caused by this fact. The munich people are used to live and let live peaceful together. We even accept the people from northern germany!

As Munich is not a motorcycle attraction, I will only recommend some places, I would like to see, if I am a tourist.

Deutsches Museum, the worlds largest museum of science and technology.

It has two outposts, one in the city presenting traffic and railway,
    the second at a small airfield at the northern city border, presenting planes and spacecraft.

Englischer Garten, our central park including the Eisbach Surfers

Schloss Nymphenburg, a big palace with a wonderful park

Pinakothek der Moderne, Modern Art and Design museum

BMW Factory with BMW Museum and BMW World, I worked there six month as a young man at the assembly line to earn my first brandnew big bike (Yamaha XV 750 SE).

Olympia Stadion und Fernsehturm

Oktoberfest, not the right place for me, but worth to see one time, if you are here in the second half of September.

If there are more questions, pleas ask!

Tom

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Tom, thanks so much for all the great information, it will be a few years before I can talk the wife into going.
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Thanks Tom you brought back some great memories & made me dig out some old pictures... funny thing, I think my Iphone takes better pics than the top of the line Minolta in 1985.....

You sure bring back some memories of our travels in Europe during 2006-7-8. We used Germany as our starting point and home address for insurance. We have friends in a small town near Munich. We shipped our GoldWing to Frankfurt and put on 45,000 miles (72.000 km) before we finished.
    You can read about our European travels here: http://www.bobkatsjaunt.com/europe.htm
    And Germany here: http://www.bobkatsjaunt.com/intermot_&_on.htm
    and here: http://www.bobkatsjaunt.com/german_treffen.htm
    and here: http://www.bobkatsjaunt.com/octoberfest.htm
    With it in the center of Europe we passed through it several times.
    Our home page is here:http://www.bobkatsjaunt.com/index.htm

Our Favorite Roads, Until the Next Trip!
    Follow The Adventures of Lemonade

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

Hi Bob and Kat,
    I know your homepage well and loved to read it.
    For Americans touring Europe it is a very good source of informations.
    I wish, I have the time to do a similar tour thru North America.
    Have seen only the southwest of the USA in 1993.
    Tom

Thanks Tom. This information is very good to have and hard to find in the US. Please continue it.