Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2015, how I spent my summer............

#%@*, it's raining again!
    (Threadstarter)

Re: Alaska 2015, how I spent my summer............

I don't know if its my connection or Photobucket but it took over an hour to load two pics this morning, I'm going to try again later tonight before the freezing rain hits. They were doing maintenance on their site yesterday so that may have something to do with it.
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Just sat here and read the whole thread,, couldn't pull away from it. Always love hearing about someone's adventures. Especially this time of year when we are all dreaming of our own upcoming trips.

Waiting
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    I don't know if its my connection or Photobucket but it took over an hour to load two pics this morning, I'm going to try again later tonight before the freezing rain hits. They were doing maintenance on their site yesterday so that may have something to do with it.

Photobucket~~~I have always had trouble with Photobucket~~~AND the ~~~on
    Gary

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

Site Supporter

Still enjoying the RR and pics. Also glad you made it up to Prudhoe Bay.

#%@*, it's raining again!
    (Threadstarter)

We leave out of North Pole and head back to Tok to gather the rest of our belongings and get ready to head back into Canada.

We get one more meal from Fast Eddy's!

And the next morning we head out for Canada.

We find the big sign we missed in the frog strangler when we rode in.

We were really dreading riding the stretch or road that was so bad on the way back! I have to say we were amazed at how good of a shape they had managed to get the road in!

Bud got a shot of the surface, it looks a little rough, but it wasn't too bad.

After taking pictures and goofing off along the way we decide to ride on through Whitehorse as it's been dark for hours by the time we get there. We made the circle around through town trying to find something open and got gas at a closed station that had 24 hour pumps if you used plastic. We didn't see a campground that looked like it was open so we decided to just take our time and keep riding. We pulled over to decide what to do and when we pulled out of gravel drive I noticed that my bike seemed to shift slightly but I figured it was just the rough entry up on to the road. We ride on until right before day breaks and pull over and take a quick nap. We leave out and we are rolling along pretty good and then I notice the back tire is going flat, so I pull over on to the shoulder and it went flat quick. I pull out the compressor and plug kit and start putting some air in to find the leak but it's not airing up. I get it up on the centerstand and as I'm looking it over and trying to feel for a leak, I find about a 1" gash down in the bottom of the tread. As I'm wondering how many plugs this will take to plug the hole, I turn the wheel again, and it doesn't feel just right so I grab it and move it around and the right side wheel bearing is toast.

Bud rides back about 75 miles to a store that wasn't open when we went through. He gets there and calls the Suzuki shop in Whitehorse and they give him the run around. I don't have cell signal where I am so he comes back with breakfast, and we decide what to do. While I was waiting, a couple of people stopped to offer help. And a little later a couple stops that had a sat phone, and he had a trade paper that had an ad for Yukon Yamaha. I call them, explain to them what has happened and ask if they will work on a Suzuki. The service guy says "Sure we are putting wheel bearings in a Harley right now, bring it on in." He gives me a number for a tow company and they come get me with a pickup and small enclosed trailer. We get back to Whitehorse, they get my bike in, put on a new tire and a set of wheel bearings. While I'm gone with the driver down to his office to pay, Bud gets his bike in too and gets a new set of tires as his original tires are starting to wear down quite a bit.

We stay in Riverfront RV Park, but I didn't get any pics of it, as by this time it was raining again.

The next morning we head out in a drizzle that ends up turning into a heavy rain, and we made it to Nugget City which is right before where we turn off on the Cassiar Highway. We get to Baby Nugget RV Park and campground and it's muddy everywhere. The owners are really great people, they have plenty of spots, but most of them have water standing in them and our gear is already wet. We ask him if he has some kind of shelter that we can get under even if only long enough to set the tents up. He says, "No we don't have a shelter, but we have a meeting room that's not completely finished, and sometimes I forget to lock it at night." Perfect, we spend the night in the meeting room and spread out our wet stuff and get it dried out and sleep in the dry!

We get packed up the next morning and the sun is shining, we eat breakfast in their great restaurant, and when we come out it's raining again.

We head out, fill up and head down the Cassiar.

Leaving the Yukon.

Into BC.

We stop in Jade City so I can pick up some pieces of jade for the better half, and head on to Dease Lake.

I have to admit, from what I had read I was thinking Dease Lake was a larger resort town, boy were we surprised!

We end up at Dease Lake RV park and the grumpy little owner lets us camp under his shelter.

Of all the nights that I didn't get much sleep, this night I slept through. And I missed the black bear destroy the owners trash can that was about 15 feet to the right of my bike in this picture. I would have loved to have got a picture or video of it!

Gotta upload some more pics.............

GOOD STUFF~~~LIKE~~~LIKE
    Gary

That was funny Rick, I have thought that but never thought to say that. I would be willing to wager any one following this thread feels that way. I wonder if that is how a addict feels.
    Russ

Great Stuff...Thanks Steve.

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Excellentp^

2017 HD Tri Glide/ 2010 Timeout
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired