Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2015, how I spent my summer............

#%@*, it's raining again!
    (Threadstarter)

Re: Alaska 2015, how I spent my summer............

Let me try this again, I was already to Fairbanks and lost it all!

We head out and ride to Dawson Creek to spend a couple of days at Mile Post 1 Campground. It has obviously changed hands and is now more geared to the RV crowd. The tent campers are in a large grassy field that has a perimeter of small trees. It's a pretty good hike to the showers now, but not too bad. We find some shade behind some RV's dry camping and make new friends.

Our new friends invited us over for hot Chi Tea with cream and ginger, and a movie! The next morning they fix us breakfast, you gotta love those Canoodians!

Speaking of Canoodians, Dusty I had to try one after you hanging out there so much!

We do a little sight seeing and get Bud some goodies for charging his phone that we forgot before we left.

We head out toward Fort Nelson and take a detour to the original part of Alaska Highway to check out the last wooden bridge left on the road.

The nice weather ends and it dumps rain on us and stop for the night at the Triple G Hideaway campground.

We head out and it's not raining as much, but it's a bit cooler. We see a few sights along the way.

Believe it or not, I was asleep at the bars when Bud chased me down to circle back to see these guys.

We end up in Liard River but everything is full or they don't allow tent camping. We go a little farther to Upper Liard and pull off into what looks like a closed motel/restaurant parking lot to try to figure out what we are going to do. While we are setting there a car pulls in, drops someone off, they wave at the driver and walk into what we thought was a closed office. Bud and I look at each other and decide to check it out. The restaurant is open so we go in have a couple of beers at the tiny bar and find out we can camp out back in their small campground for 5 bucks. Great, I'll have another beer please! We end up in a nice quiet pine grove.

More in a bit................
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

I can tell ya there is a wooden bridge towards teh NWT but would like to know more on this bridge

2014 Ultra Classic Limited
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean28h View Post
    I can tell ya there is a wooden bridge towards teh NWT but would like to know more on this bridge
    Gotcha covered!

http://www.northbceh.com/dawson_cree...old_alaska.htm

https://antarabesque.wordpress.com/2...wooden-bridge/

(Threadstarter)

We leave out in pretty good weather and head to Whitehorse, at this time we are just logging miles trying to get there.

We end up at Pioneer RV Park and Campground.

We decide we are going to make it to Alaska or bust so we head out in what starts as cloudy weather and ends up in a frog strangler. The last 100 miles of Canada had the worse section of road on the trip, including the Dalton Highway. It had rained so much that it had basketball size potholes that you had no idea how deep they were as they were full of water. They couldn't keep up with the maintenance they told us at a gas stop, and they were just going to wait out the rain. It was raining so hard and we were concentrating on the road so much that we actually missed the big Welcome to Alaska sign. We had to take a picture of it on the way home.

We finally make it to Tok and camp at Sourdough Camp for a couple of days to catch up on laundry and try to rest.

We had to eat at Fast Eddy's, well a couple of times, okay we ate there three or four times! They have excellent pizza there I think we ended up getting two at the times we were there.

We had breakfast at Sourdough one morning with a couple that lives about 65 miles from me here in Kentucky, it really is a small world!

I have to call it a night and start uploading some more pictures, stay tuned...........

Steve I want to go next time. I want to see all the pictures, when we get together this summer.
    Gary

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Our trip in 2020 will be with tent campng and cargo trailer for sure. I have an RV but miss the hell out real camping to me the tent cot and good ol fire.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean28h View Post
    Our trip in 2020 will be with tent campng and cargo trailer for sure. I have an RV but miss the hell out real camping to me the tent cot and good ol fire.
    We really missed not being able to have a campfire, with all the wild fires up there they had a ban on campfires!

I have been daydreaming about this trip ( of my own at some point) although I am several years out anyway. I will just be content to catch your updates for now!

(Threadstarter)

After trying to relax for a day we head out for Fairbanks where we will have to make some decisions.

It's still dry and smokey in places as wildfires are still an issue.

We land at the Chena River Wayside state park.

The first decision I had to make once we got here was what to do with my trusty Mountain Hardware tent. One of the ends had split out on a section of the tent poles, probably from me picking it up by the poles and shaking the dirt out it in the past. Instead of trying to repair it myself and deal with it for the rest of the trip I made a quick run to the local REI about half an hour before they closed. This was on the 4th of July and they were having a big sale. I go in to the tent section and see the 4 person Marmot tent that I've had my eye on for a killer price! But it must have been too good of a price as they were sold out of these early in the day. The salesperson told me people were buying them two and three at a time. Crap! I ended up getting an REI four person tent that I can't remember the name of. Basecamp 4 I think. It was a nice tent that packed small enough, but I ended up returning it last fall as I really wanted something with a full rain fly. It was water tight to be sure, but it really had to be staked down if you had much wind. What I liked was you could stand up in it, put your chair inside with plenty of room to spare. I just couldn't justify keeping it as I have a slightly larger Coleman version of it, and Mountain Hardware has a lifetime warranty on their tents and they are in the process of repairing my tent pole as I type. I can highly recommend the REI tent with no problems!

The next decisions were sort of made for us, I had to get the gushing fork seal replaced that I beat out on the last 100 miles in Canada, and Bud had to get his bike serviced. So we ended up spending four days in Fairbanks to get all of this done. Once again I can't say enough good things about Northern Power Sports in Fairbanks! It took Bud all day to get his bike "serviced" which amounted to them changing the oil, and as they said "looking it over". They obviously didn't look at the chain as we had to adjust it when we got back to camp. No big deal, but when he had to be there at 6:45am and them not get started on the bike until after Noon you would think they could have at least adjusted the chain. Basically they changed the oil and filter and that was it, and charged him for a full service.

We managed to kill some time, do a load of laundry, and take showers at the laundromat. Bud even got in a round of golf! Bud is getting his grandchildren into playing golf and he sent them pictures of him playing at night.

We were going to leave Fairbanks and head up the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse, but after calling and checking on the weather and fires we decided to head to the southern part of the state and make a loop back up to Tok. We would end up doing some back tracking, but I really didn't want to miss out on making it all the way this time!

So we fuel up and head south to Denali National Park.

We end up staying at Denali Grizzly Bear Camp for a couple of days.

We were camped just up the hill from this river and could hear it running at night. Made for peaceful sleep at night.

The next day we head over to the park, and take the eight hour bus trip. Even thought the weather is constantly changing it's an awesome trip to take. I highly recommend it!

The Welcome Center where you board the buses.

A few cell phone pics, I've got to do some more uploading......

More in a bit..............

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    Speaking of Canoodians, Dusty I had to try one after you hanging out there so much!

Gee, Steve .... how come you got the little baby sized cup of Timmies?

I prefer the Large, myself!

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg