Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2015, how I spent my summer............

Re: Alaska 2015, how I spent my summer............

The Mt Rushmore pics sure brings back a few memories, Iron Mountain Rd, Needles...Custer SP...and the trip has just started for you. That wind would probably have been much worse had you been on the Harley or something like a Goldwing...a GW is like having a large sail attached to your side.

OK, more reports and photos.....

Nice pictures. Thanks for posting
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

#%@*, it's raining again!
    (Threadstarter)

Okay where was I? Oh yea Great Falls campground. When I was there in 09 I was camped next to a couple of women, one who was kicked out of Canada for Grand Theft RV, and the other one was the size 16 young lady that was running around in the size 4 bikini, they seemed to be celebrating 4th of July with a fifth of cheap bourbon or two.

This time I was minding my own business and decided to take a hot shower about 3:45am. This KOA has great showers built in there own building right by where we were camped. I get over there and decide since there probably won't be many folks up at this time I'll use the handicap shower as there are two of them in the building. I've finished showering and am in my underwear brushing my teeth when someone starts pounding on the door. I think it's Bud messing with me, and before I can spit out the toothpaste I hear a woman screaming that she has to get in there, NOW! She continues pounding non-stop on the door, and I'm thinking oh crap there is a little old lady out there in a wheelchair about to soil herself trying to get in. I tell her over the pounding on the door I'll be out as soon as I can get my pants on. I get my pants on and unlatch the lock, before I can open the door she jerks it open. At this time I'm just about knocked off my feet by a full grown German Shepard and full grown Golden Retriever! Instead of a little old lady in a wheelchair I'm face to face with an attractive 30 something woman with obviously nothing physically wrong with her. She barges right in an screeches at me that "My dogs don't like confined spaces!" For a second it makes me mad, but for some reason it's all I can do to keep from laughing in her face. From the looks of her she didn't seem to be enjoying camping at all so I just waited patiently for her to leave and collect my things! I started to give her just enough time to set down and then start pounding on the door telling her I wanted my things out of there right this minute! Needless to say I quietly waited until she was finished and made sure to just roll my eyes at her and pet her dogs when she came out. She never said thank you, kiss my backside, or anything. Just jerked the poor dogs out the door and stomped off into the morning. I don't think she was having a good time!

We left out that morning into rain and road construction and made our way to the St Mary KOA on the east side of Glacier NF

It did turn out nice at the end of the day's ride!

The next morning we get out with no drama and have beautiful weather for the Going to the Sun Road! No matter how many pictures you take, you just can't capture the beauty.

We end the day in the West Glacier KOA.

The next day we take a short day and cross the border and stay in Radium Hot Springs at Dry River Gulch campground where I stayed with Colleen and Ernie.

The next day we head out to ride the Icefield Parkway and run into a couple of guys from Canada, one of which has joined the site.

We ended up at the Hinton KOA just out of Jasper, oddly enough in the exact space I camped in back in 2009!

Like Glacier, the Icefield Parkway's beauty is hard to capture with a camera.

I've got to get more photos uploaded, more soon...............................
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

The thing about photos, least for me is, never get tired of em. Heading up this summer and I'm taking notes, especially on campgrounds.

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the "rest of the story".

Great write up. The thing about pictures, (You done get the smell, feel, and depth, of the location.) But for me, the photos will do. Because of age, I probably won't get there. Thanks Steve. BTW you could have offered to watch the dogs while she pooped.
    Gary

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

Great write-up so far. Can't wait for more. Love the pictures.

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Considering the bathroom incident,some guys just seem to have all the luck!!!! Enjoying the write up and beautiful pictures...thanks for taking us along. I bought a Honda NT700v a year ago last August and the man I bought it from rode it from Little Rock,Ar. to Prudoe Bay and then down to Key West,Fl. the same year...I will never get up there, but my bike has!!!!

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Excellent I never get tired of seeing photos or stories on Alaska

2014 Ultra Classic Limited
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired

#%@*, it's raining again!
    (Threadstarter)

Waiting on photos to upload, satellite internet really blows at times..............

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    Waiting on photos to upload, satellite internet really blows at times..............
    I can relate to that when I went