Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2015, how I spent my summer............

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Alaska 2015, how I spent my summer............

Well folks, it's getting cold here so I thought I would try to piece together a trip report. It won't be fancy, or told eloquently, and I'll probably forget a lot of it. I'll be doing it a little bit at a time so if you have any questions about the area in the pictures you see fire away and I'll try to do my best to remember and I'll ask Bud as well. I don't have Ernie and Colleen to fall back on to jog my memory, and I have to admit I lost more weight on this trip! I didn't have the most excellent meals that were fixed in Colleen's dutch oven. Speaking of Colleen and Ernie (Black and Blue) I had to apologize to Bud for often telling him, "we camped here, we stopped here for gas, bla, bla, bla!" Bud is a very patient friend to say the least!

Before the trip I serviced the little 650 V-Strom, put on new tires, chain and sprockets, brakes, and kept telling myself that I wasn't going to take as much "stuff" as I did last time. I didn't carry a set of tires with me this time as the Tourances would have made the entire trip, except for cutting a gash in the rear tire up in the Yukon, more on that later. The total mileage for the trip was just over 14,000 miles. I didn't ride it much this year except for the trip.

Let me give you one piece of advise, when you plan a trip like this make sure you plan extra rest days than what you think you will need. We thought we had it covered, but due to issues with the bikes, etc we ended up being about three days late meeting up with our friends in Sturgis for the rally. We seriously considered just blowing it off, but we told our friends we would meet them there and ride back and camp with them. We had a few days of riding all day, all night, and then the next day and it seemed the more we tried to make up time, the further we got behind.

I wanted to get to stop and visit with Mark while in Wyoming, and Pat while in Montana, but time just didn't work out. Sorry guys hopefully we can get together on another trip.

If you see gaps in the trip photos it's because it's raining and I didn't get the camera out, I have some of Bud's photos to use and a few from my cell phone. I'm also uploading as I go, and having to use Hughesnet it's painfully slow loading pictures to Photobucket.

Here we are packed and ready to leave.

First stop Kansas City KOA.

On to Goodland, KS KOA

Beaver Lake Campground, Custer, SD. Some idiot decided to sleep in his chair under the shelter as it was pouring rain by the time we set up. I woke up at 2:30 am took a scalding hot shower, walked out and realized it was in the lower 40's. That explains why I was so cold!

Did a little sight seeing along the way checking out some places I missed last time I was there.

Ended up staying at the Hot Springs KOA where I met a Motocampers member from Texas in the restroom. I can't for the life of me remember his name, he and his wife were riding his BMW touring bike. He said he mostly posts in the two up section. His wife was frightened by the snoring that came from our campsite! If you see this let me know who you are!

More sightseeing.

One of the last "original" parts of Deadwood.

Stayed a couple of days in Belle Fourche, SD at Wyatt's Hideaway. When we got there he wouldn't let us pitch a tent, told us that bad weather was moving in quickly. He said he would let us have a cabin for just $10.00 more than what he would charge us to tent camp, that's hard to beat. Considering we had hail the size of baseballs falling on us after the tornado warning was over the cabin was an excellent choice!

Checking air pressure and lubing chains before heading to see Devil's Tower.

Stay tuned, we'll head to Montana next...............
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Re: Alaska 2015, how I spent my summer............

Keep 'em coming!
    KevinL
    Proud Parent of a US Marine
    1986 Aspencade W/Motorvation Formula II and Ozzie the Aussie
    1995 Voyager XII, 2010 Aspen Classic

Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

Waitin' for more !!
    RIDE TO LIVE !

Nice pics! Nice commentary. Looking forward to your future installments

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Site Supporter

Alright, Steve. We're ready.

#%@*, it's raining again!
    (Threadstarter)

Let me tell you about the wind going to Montana! I have ridden in bad wind before, but this was the worst yet, it was the first time that I've ever had to pull over and then worry about holding up the bike at a stand still. As everyone that has ridden I-90 knows, you have to lean into the wind as you travel but this was different. We almost had the bars jerked out of our hands and at times the front wheel would skip toward the center line almost six inches at a time. We stopped at an overpass discussed our options and decided to turn on the four ways and slowly ride up the emergency lane, luckily we were only about a mile from a rest area. We pulled in and waited out the storm. The next day we heard of tractor trailers getting blown over close to where we were, I can believe it!

We venture on and make it to Billings, MT KOA. This was one of my favorite KOA's, but they have since added a wall blocking you from seeing the river. I don't know if it is temporary or it had to be added to keep people out of the river.

The next day we make it to Great Falls, MT KOA.

The wife says it's time to go to her Mom's so I will add more tonight about the funny things that happen to me in the campground!

ok cool pictures keep posting

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    Let me tell you about the wind going to Montana! I have ridden in bad wind before, but this was the worst yet, it was the first time that I've ever had to pull over and then worry about holding up the bike at a stand still. As everyone that has ridden I-90 knows, you have to lean into the wind as you travel but this was different. We almost had the bars jerked out of our hands and at times the front wheel would skip toward the center line almost six inches at a time. We stopped at an overpass discussed our options and decided to turn on the four ways and slowly ride up the emergency lane, luckily we were only about a mile from a rest area. We pulled in and waited out the storm. The next day we heard of tractor trailers getting blown over close to where we were, I can believe it!

We venture on and make it to Billings, MT KOA. This was one of my favorite KOA's, but they have since added a wall blocking you from seeing the river. I don't know if it is temporary or it had to be added to keep people out of the river.

The next day we make it to Great Falls, MT KOA.

The wife says it's time to go to her Mom's so I will add more tonight about the funny things that happen to me in the campground!

Great write up Steve. What you talking about (funny things). Sounds like (Hanky Panky)????
    Gene

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer