Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morrow Mountain State Park - Albemarle, NC

Morrow Mountain State Park - Albemarle, NC

I'm planning another camping trip this summer 2016, and was looking at stay at Morrow Mountain State Park on my way up to the Blue Ridge. Has anyone stated at this campground? If so, which campsite would you recommend? Thanks for any input. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

Re: Morrow Mountain State Park Albemarle NC

Quote Originally Posted by Servicebdu View Post
    Why would anyone visit a state park? From what Ive read everything that is fun is banned?
    I often stay at state parks,I find them generally clean,safe and located near great sites/roads. Why don't you try visiting a park,instead of reading about them.

Re: Morrow Mountain State Park - Albemarle, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    I'm planning another camping trip this summer 2016, and was looking at stay at Morrow Mountain State Park on my way up to the Blue Ridge. Has anyone stated at this campground? If so, which campsite would you recommend? Thanks for any input. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.
    Years ago,I lived in Monroe NC,just south of Charlotte,and I camped at Morrow Mountain several times. It's a really nice park,with a lot to offer. It's been a long time,so I can't remember which sites are best. At most state parks,if you arrive on a week day,you have a lot more choices. Also,if you are just "passing through",most sites will work. Shade will be what you need to look for during the summer!

Just a suggestion, I've lived in Florida. If I was coming out of say Daytona where I lived last I would slab my way quickly up to the Highlands area going up through Clayton via war woman etc. Van Hook just north of Highlands is at 4,000' and cool in the summer, stay a day or two there. Then from there make my way over to 215 or 276 and enter the BRP. A lot of times I'll pitch a tent in Cruso at the moto CG when I feel like going past Highlands and ride the higher elevations of the BRP for days. You can do Dupont falls on the way up too. I like the area from Cherokee to Mt Mitchell best, sometimes I'll loop back at take in Roan Mountain too and come back down through Hot Springs 209 etc. If I could pick up the BRP off 276 I would take that over to I-40 then over the Charlotte way, but I like scenic....

I lived in metro Charlotte, NC, it will be cooking in the summer for camping. I rode daily on my bikes to Mercy Hospital for work. I ended up parking my Toy Hauler in a crappy lot near the airport after looking at the other options, I needed a monthly CG site for my big 43' 5th wheel and a short commute. I probably should have looked harder out of town, but it was nice being close to work. I could go home for lunch! I lived in Morganton before that, I was home sick, loved living in Morganton, NC.

(Threadstarter)

Thanks for the input. I hope it is nice when i get there.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Hope for the best, be prepared for the worst!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Re: Morrow Mountain State Park Albemarle NC

Quote Originally Posted by Servicebdu View Post
    Why would anyone visit a state park? From what Ive read everything that is fun is banned?
    OK, I'm old, but what kind of fun is banned? State Parks seem a little more expensive, too crowded on weekends, impossible during holidays, but clean, safe and usually a choice of activities. I do hate being on site #73 when the place is empty and 'they' put somebody in #74. Otherwise State Parks are a good choice.

Those restrictive state parks sometimes frown on staying up all night drinking adult beverages and singing and dancing around mostly nude blasting loud music or playing a guitar badly getting in fights and throwing bottles or what not at fellow "buddies" and comparing women's attributes till at least 2am. Yah know, "fun" times.

I think that covers it, I may not be "old" yet, but I act like it sometimes. Dang kids.

(Threadstarter)

Im only staying here one night.

(Threadstarter)

Does anyone have a particular site to try and get.. and which ones to stay away from..lol