Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Army Surplus Luggage

(Threadstarter)

Re: Army Surplus Luggage

I kinda hate to do this to ya, but I found this on the web and if your looking for more capacity this might work better for you.

http://www.majorsurplus.com/German-R...ck-P14890.aspx

It looks like it should mount just as easy.

Thanks, Guy
    My pics page: http://picasaweb.google.com/mrguy001

2003 Suzuki DR 650, The touring model.

Thanks Guy, I'll check it out next time I'm up there. I checked out the store here in Abilene and they didn't have any bags I liked. They had some nice duffles tho. I'll have to rig up a heat shield for the KLR exhaust before putting bags on. The pipe is right where the bag need to hang.
    I shaved the seat this weekend, just the front half to make it dip like a cruiser seat. It's a lot more comfortable and got me a little lower. I'll be ready to take it camping soon. I'm taking off this weekend on the vulcan unless I can get everything done on the KLR.
    2004 FJR1300A
    2004 KLR650

(Threadstarter)

Hi Jetfixer,

Most of the rigs I've seen, the owners have just bent up some flat bar stock, say 1/8"x2"x as long as you need, to clear the muffler. Usually bolted up to one of the rear rack bolts. If I can find a pic I'll post it.

Guy

(Threadstarter)

Hi Jetfixer,

I found this on another board, but it gives you an idea of what I was talking about.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ck#post4722555

If I find more I'll edit to include here.

I found this pic, just a piece of pipe but might keep your bags off the muffler.

Guy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sidebar.jpg  

(Threadstarter)

Hi All,

The first batch will be with UPS tomorrow. I'll ship ground so should be there next week.

Guy

Got mine yesterday, thanks again Mr. Guy for doing the work on this. Not only did he include a SASE.. it's the kind that doesn't require licking! Now that's thoughtful! The included instructions will prove to be really handy as well.

For those folks who don't want to sew to make the straps, I simply cut off the front straps from the shoulder harness (I think they were front, longest ones). Then I removed the clip from the shortest, removed the adjuster from the longest and then attached the now loose clip to the end of the longest strap (that already has a clip on the other end) using an adjuster like so:

It'll still be adjustable, no sewing required. It seems to be plenty strong in this configuration.
    "The only truly perfect love, is one that gets away", The Residents

I reciieved my package also, Haven't started putting them together yet just looking at aluminum barstock, trying to get several ideas together before I start on the frame.

(Threadstarter)

Hi All,

How's your projects coming along.

Guy

Haven't got around to making supports yet. Probably be waiting until things warm up a bit around here, easier to weld/braze if the metal isn't 25degrees ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guy
    Hi All,

How's your projects coming along.

Guy
    Still thinking!
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”