Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Army Surplus Luggage

Wink Army Surplus Luggage

Hi All,

While looking around my local favorite surplus store I came across a box full of Austrian military rucksacks for $5.95 a piece. Being a cheapo, I thought they might make good saddlebags. So I bought 2 and a south Korean duffel bag. These are like the U.S. duffel bag but 20% or so smaller. So out the door with 3 bags for less than $20, can I make it work. In the first photo you see the back of the rucksack and the removable straps. I cut the straps apart and sown an extra clip on the other end, thereby making it possible to clip the 2 bags together. On the inside of the bag was a little pocket on the back for padding, so I cut a piece of scrap 1/4" plywood to fit for a stiffener. and bags were done. Tie them to the bike and ready to go. In the second photo you see all 3 bags on my DR with my Dirt-Bagz for comparison. The rucksacks are a little bigger and being top loading a lot easier to get into. The last 2 photos are with just the surplus bags. They will defenently haul a good load and have the stealth factor than no will believe you have anything good in those crappy bags. Not bad for 20 bucks and a couple hours time.

Thanks, Guy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bagssml.jpg   ondr1.jpg   ondr2.jpg   bagsrear.jpg  
    My pics page: http://picasaweb.google.com/mrguy001

2003 Suzuki DR 650, The touring model.

Re: Army Surplus Luggage

They look Great I need to go check out the surplus store.
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

Mellow

That's pretty cool... Thanks.

Good job, I like those better than the dirtbagz

Looks great.... If you decide your willing and able to pick some up for resale to the poor slobs here... I'm in for 4.
    "The only truly perfect love, is one that gets away", The Residents

(Threadstarter)

Hi All,

I'm kind of surprised at this response, I half did this as a joke. I called the store and they don't do enough mail order to make it worth there while. So any one interested, send me an e-mail with shipping address and how many you want, within reason, I'll pick them up and send them to you with an addressed envelope. Just enclose my cost for the bags plus shipping and drop it in the mail. I'll keep this up till they run out or someone stiffs me for the bags, that whole foul me twice thing. Another option would be google search "army surplus" and you should come up with all kinds of places to get bags like these.

http://buy.cheaperthandirt.com/buydefault.asp

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/default.asp?kwtid=4322

These are two good options, I have order from both and received good service.

Thanks, Guy

p.s. If you get some or already have some cheap bags post a pic. We'll make this the official cheap bag thread.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Guy that sure is a good looking DR you have. I will have to head to the local surplus store and see if I can score a pair or two of those rucksacks. I think they would work well on the ATV as well.

e-mail sent ;-)

Thanks for the offer.

Hey those are perfect! I think I could actually load up all my camping gear with that setup.
    2004 FJR1300A
    2004 KLR650

(Threadstarter)

Hi Jetfixer,

If you get back up to Tinker, stop by Brigadoon Military Surplus 1805 S. Sunnylane Rd. If you leave post by the N. Air Depot gate turn left (west) on SE 29th street, go 2 miles to Sunnylane, turn right (north) go 3/4 mile and the store is on the left. I've known Mark and Rita a long time. They own a good store. All kinds of bags. You should be able to find something you like there.

Guy