Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackwater Falls State Park,WV campout 2016

Re: Blackwater Falls State Park,WV campout 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Meach View Post
    ... Although Maggie might want to keep the tradition alive and stop to eat at cafe in Monterey,VA which is on 220. We've stopped there the last two years, she even signed her name on this wall they have
    Love Monterey and HWY 220! Actually, for scenic riding I like 220 even better than the BRP.

We haven't been to Blackwater Falls in ages--it was before our motocamping days--back in the truck camping days. There was a gravel forest road on the back side of the park that we explored, and it went on FOREVER. I don't even remember where it came out at, but it was nice. The nearby towns of Thomas and Davis are interesting, even though nowadays, they're a little run down. You can look at the architecture and tell they used to be wealthier, hopping places. Dolly Sods is another interesting spot--probably not suitable for any fancy bikes, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_Sods_Wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by Meach View Post
    We'll add it to ours as well. Maybe we could meet up you guys somewhere along the way and ride up. There are so many different ways to go. Last year after we left BWF we came down US 33 to WV 28 then WV 92 down thru Greenbank & White Sulphur Springs. Nice well maintained 2 lane road down thru the national forest, nice relaxing ride. About the only other way to get there for us is to go up US 219 or 220, we've traveled both, nice rides just more traffic along the way. Although Maggie might want to keep the tradition alive and stop to eat at cafe in Monterey,VA which is on 220. We've stopped there the last two years, she even signed her name on this wall they have

Sounds like plan... we have ridden 219 but not 220.
    RIDE TO LIVE !

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Nette View Post
    Love Monterey and HWY 220! Actually, for scenic riding I like 220 even better than the BRP.

We haven't been to Blackwater Falls in ages--it was before our motocamping days--back in the truck camping days. There was a gravel forest road on the back side of the park that we explored, and it went on FOREVER. I don't even remember where it came out at, but it was nice. The nearby towns of Thomas and Davis are interesting, even though nowadays, they're a little run down. You can look at the architecture and tell they used to be wealthier, hopping places. Dolly Sods is another interesting spot--probably not suitable for any fancy bikes, though.

Hmm..interesting comments. Can I ask what a fancy bike is?

Quote Originally Posted by kayakinbiker View Post
    Hmm..interesting comments. Can I ask what a fancy bike is?
    Ha, ha! Oh, any bike that's clean, and ours usually isn't. We live down a long dirt path, so a forest road is like an interstate to us!

Funny story in Monterey last year, which seems like a nice town btw, we just happened to be passing thru and knew they had a little cafe we had stopped at year before. So we get to downtown where 220 & 250 cross and I thought I had remembered there being the only traffic light in town but now wasn't there, go to cafe and go in and looking over menu, people coming and going and comments about being open or not, it wasn't until later I realized there was no electricity in cafe or the rest of the town for that matter (thats why no traffic light). Turns out a main line in WV was knocked down several hours earlier and there had been no power anywhere around all day, went ahead and got what we could to eat and about time to go power comes back on.

Quote Originally Posted by trikerdan View Post
    Sounds like plan... we have ridden 219 but not 220.
    Went up 219 two yrs ago, up 220 last yr, then came down 28/92, I always try to go different roads each time we go somewhere if its within reason not too far out of the way. Two yrs ago we came down by the New River Gorge.
    Meach and Maggie

05 vtx1300
    RIP 07 RS Venture

I hope to make it! I really enjoyed the summer campout. The local roads were great and I got to see Maggies childhood home! Meach,if things work out,maybe I can come up to Ga. and ride to WV with you and Maggie.

The gravel road is called the loop road.It comes out at Canain Valley.If I remember correctly it is 12 miles across it..I always like to go across it,but it is way to rough for a bike,and not had a 4 x 4 truck there in a lot of years.

Quote Originally Posted by advtripper View Post
    I hope to make it! I really enjoyed the summer campout. The local roads were great and I got to see Maggies childhood home! Meach,if things work out,maybe I can come up to Ga. and ride to WV with you and Maggie.
    Sounds good, the more the merrier.

I enjoyed this year's trip so I will have this on my calendar. I should have my bike and camper all done by then

Hopefully we'll make it next year. We were on our way to this years when I dumped the bike and trailer...
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA