“It's time for all dogs to be dead, ain't you glad you's a pup?”

That's a phrase my grandma used to say. Raised a farm girl, she was a hard worker all her life, up until she passed last year. The saying can be interpreted different ways, but I read it as a reminder to live life to the fullest while you can.

The Goal:

• Tour and photograph America for 31 days

Enabling factors:

• Single

• Flexible job – I have 31 days off (trip dates: August 21-September 20)

• I'm 24, right on the brink of 25 years old. A quarter of a century. I'm sure that doesn't sound very old to a lot of ya'll but it's a decent sized step from my point of view. If I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it now.

The Ride:

My 1999 Honda VFR800. I bought this bike back last December and have been working on it constantly since then. The previous owner let it sit up nearly 11 years, so my first duty as landlord of Honda Estates was to evict all the freeloading varmints parked up in the airbox. The fuel system was next, then oil, coolant, you get my drift. The bike's ready and raring to go.

Plans:

• Camp as much as possible

• Travel very spontaneously (my favorite parts of the trip are usually a product of chance or a last minute decision)

• Experience food across the country

Places I Hope to Hit:

• North GA, staying at Two Wheels of Suches
  • Ozarks
  • Badlands/Black Hills
  • Glacier NP
  • Banff NP
  • Yosemite NP
  • Zion NP
  • SW Colorado

It seems that every guy I talk to about my trip gets a wistful look and expresses desire to make a trip similar to this or pines over a missed opportunity to take this sort of journey. Whether it didn't happen because of finances, spousal disapproval, tight work schedules, or a sudden rash of leprosy laden armadillos at their vet clinic, I realize my blessing in being able to pull this trip off.

RD