Thread: Tusk Panniers

Thumbs up Tusk Panniers

I mounted up the Tusk Panniers this summer for my Fall camping trips and they are working very well.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...=tusk+panniers

37 liters of space is an improvement for my DL1000 Strom. I was using the OEM SOFT brand luggage that came on the ADV models. They were a funky shape and I'm just tired of using the side loaders. Here is a couple pics of before and after, not bad for $250.

This was when I first mounted them, did a water test of sorts...

I can fit a 3 man tent, butane cooking stove with a 10" frying pan and pot stand with a small stewing pot. My 24 oz Stanley mess kit, along with my exped synmat DLX9, down sleeping bag, extra hiking boots, food for 3 days, 3 changes of clothes, 3 pairs of gloves for hot and cold weather including heated etc. Thats all in my panniers and top case, nothing has to go on the seat. I have room for cold weather liners and I carried an extra casual jacket and pants for lounging around the camp site in cold weather.

Love the extra room, much better than what I had for not much money. Each pannier weighs 11 pounds, lighter than the OEM plastic and larger. I bolted mine on with stainless hardware. Really nice budget option if you don't want to spend $700 plus for name brand alloy panniers. They are plenty sturdy for a Strom that sees only dirt roads, not heavy duty though. Probably a bit stronger than the OEM panniers.

Re: Tusk Panniers

Those panniers look great! I ride an 03' Dl1000 with E36 Givi sidecases. I am also tired of the side loaders. This is the first time I have seen the Tusk panniers and I can see a set of them in my future. Thanks!!!

Those panniers look great! I ride an 03' Dl1000 with E36 Givi sidecases. I am also tired of the side loaders. This is the first time I have seen the Tusk panniers and I can see a set of them in my future. Thanks!!!

With the Tusk panniers she looks like a true Adventure bike.
    The extra space is a godsend for camping.
    Nice upgrade.
    My life is a caricature of reality
    David C.
    Suzuki VStrom 650 - Sold, Current Ryde Can Am Spyder STS -" "
    Honda ST1300 - Sold, Suzuki Burgman 400 - RIP

(Threadstarter)

I've had the Pelican cases on other bikes and was thinking about going that route till I realized the top loading Tusk Panniers are actually about the same price with more usable room. Rocky Mountain ATV/MC now stocks replacement parts for them, so you can get a new latch or lid in a couple days. They come in silver or black and two sizes. I figured the black would age better and be easier to touch up. They say its a powder coat, but it looks like paint to me. The inside is coated so the aluminum doesn't bleed on the stuff. I'm going to put some rubber tool box liners in the bottoms and maybe a rubber step pad on the lids from the boating supply. The lid area would be nice for a half cover or a tarp etc.

In the summer I'll have capacity to spare when I don't need the warm clothes. They make racks for the KLR and DR650 too. I was not interested in spending big bucks on alloy panniers, its nice to have a decent budget option. They are welded, there are rivets on the lid where the latch hooks attach. But, they are stainless rivets and so far are really tight.

(Threadstarter)

Cool Re: Tusk Panniers

I've been asked to follow up on the tusk panniers. My opinion is still the same, they don't leak and I still have the same lids, same latches. Nothing else has failed, just that bad latch I replaced via warranty.

The paint has held up better than expected, just light scratches, no peeling or fading. They still shine up fine. I haven't dropped the bike with them, they have been scraped a little in narrow spots against a post and the door frame of my shop. I think they're tough enough for my camping off mild dirt roads. They were cheap, I think they fit my old V-Strom needs, if the bike was nicer I would put a quick release rack system on. I just don't want to spend the extra money on my old 2006.

My oem racks will probably fail eventually, they do flex more than I like, the racks need a cross bar between them. I need to fabricate one. I may add a hockey puck style mounting some day. Having them bolted on is cheap, but it makes them a pain to remove. So far, I've been able to leave them on, makes tire removal and chain maintenance more of a pain. I'm cheap though, can't beat them for the price IMO. They are not well made, but I think I got what I paid for. The latches haven't loosened up yet, the suckers are hard to open sometimes. I found the two easiest latches to open, put them on the fronts and leave them unlocked 90% of the time. Rear latches stay locked, because you don't have to unlock all 4 to remove the lids. I would buy them again.

My DL1000 has been cheap to run, it just keeps on going. I put a 530 chain conversion on it going up a couple teeth on the rear worked great too and I love the stronger chain longevity. Been up to NY and back plus the usual camping runs to western NC. I like my set up, I've kept this bike longer than any other. I'll run it till it's unreliable. I have it set up really good for touring, it's slow but I need to slow down anyway.

(Threadstarter)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-h96NsD3-L.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	21743

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160621_071546253-L.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	21744

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Glad to hear they are still working out, they still look great!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

Yeah, they are doing very well. I did put some marine carpet in the bottom 1/4's inside. So they hold small items better around town with out things banging around. I used a 3m adhesive and the grey carpet still looks new. Used stainless bolts so no rust issues, the rubber fender washers are still weather tight. Just need better health, didn't ride enough this year. I might squeeze a trip in this month to Robbinsville. Just been trying to get my health better. Probably rent a cabin, I gotta take it easy till I heal up. Putting on a new set of battlewings kicked my butt. I just serviced the bike too, took me two days instead of 3 hours like usual. But, the bike is ready for a road trip now. I need to go before it gets too cold for me in the mountains.

SageDrifter,

Thanks for the updated review.

Mika