Thread: Sampson State Park on Eastern Shore of Seneca Lake

Sampson State Park on Eastern Shore of Seneca Lake

We stayed three nights here during the week before Labor Day. Had planned to stay at Watkins Glen State Park, but that was a little crowded for our tastes. The staff at Watkins Glen called up to Sampson for us, and said they were only about 20% full, so we drove 30 miles farther north and camped there. This 2000 acre park used to be a military training facility. Has 245 electrical sites, 64 non-electrical, spread out over 5 loops. Water spigots spread throughout the campground. The park has a military museum, marina, swimming beach, trails, concession stand with firewood ($$$) and ice cream (!). Ladies, the bath houses were incredibly clean. The nearby town of Ovid has a grocery store, gas, & regular essentials. It's a good base camp for touring Watkins Glen, the Finger Lakes, waterfalls, and the beautiful countryside. We like riding in farming country, and there was plenty here to see. Lots of Amish farms, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20150901_181654.jpg  

Re: Sampson State Park on Eastern Shore of Seneca Lake

Forgot some things...The price was about $80 for three nights. Can't remember the breakdown of that--fees and all. The park grounds were immaculate. We liked the fact that the sites were pretty spacious, and there were no neighbors within 3 sites of us, on either side. Wouldn't want to be there for the weekend, though, as the staff said the park would be full for the Labor Day holiday. If you like wineries, they are EVERYWHERE along the shores of Seneca Lake. Too many for me to count. Also--an important thing to us--we had decent Verizon cell phone service there.

Last time I was there (Sunday July 14, 2013). I stayed at a state campground Blueberry-Patch-Campground for $5 a night. That was with Dusty. We split the $5 . It had no nothing, but good for half the price. I slept great, and that was what counted.
    Gary
    http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...s-Glen-and-Ith

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

Hi Nette,
    Glad you liked it. I live across the lake in Geneva and visit there often. The state always takes care of their parks around here. Did you get to see any white deer at the Army Depot across Rte 96a?

Hi Gary,
    Blueberry Patch is in the Finger Lakes National Forest which is funded and run by the Federal Government. I guess there is only so much $$ to go around. The State pulls in alot of money from their Parks. It`s good to see them putting $$ back in.

Q

Quote Originally Posted by Qdog002 View Post
    Hi Gary,
    Blueberry Patch is in the Finger Lakes National Forest which is funded and run by the Federal Government. I guess there is only so much $$ to go around. The State pulls in alot of money from their Parks. It`s good to see them putting $$ back in.

Q

Stayed there wit Dusty. I used my golden pass. It was primitive, with no water or electric, just a sleep in the woods. That was all we needed, so if you need to stop for the night, this is the place.
    Gary