Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jetboil

Jetboil

Just got a Jetboil as a present and have a quick question. How long can I expect a tank of of fuel to last? Lets say as an example, one round of coffee, bacon and eggs per day. How many days?

Re: Jetboil

since it heats up quick. I can have fuel last about 5 days doing what your suggesting. I don't let mine sit and just burn.
    Usually Ill heat up water for coffer or hot chocolate and have my skillet ready with what ever I'm doing for breakfast.
    Breakfast I started eating oat meal since I was boiling water anyway. Then add fruit to (raisens, apple, etc). Makes for quick
    breakfast and all I'm doing is boiling water that meal. For dinner I will either have a Mountain House freeze dried meal which only takes
    hot water or do a steak, pork chop, beans, rice something along those lines and still get 5 days out of a can of fuel. Time will very as I use it to heat up water to wash also. Always carry an extra can or 2.

(Threadstarter)

Great, thanks. I actually had no idea what to expect. Those cans are pretty small. Basically will use it as you described as I don't mess with complicated breakfast much anyway; mostly oatmeal. Probably carry one extra on the road as I would expect these bottles (cans) are available at most any Walmart.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

My Jet boil is only used to heat water for my coffee addiction. I haul my coffee kit right along with my tire patching kit and small air compressor. When in camp, I use my regular propane two burner stove. However, I do carry a spare canister of fuel for the Jet Boil and I am amazed how long one bottle of fuel lasts. I can't quantify the amount of time the Jet Boil gets out of one container of fuel, but it lasted me 21 days going to South Texas and back, making coffee each morning.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

I also have been using the jet boil, and just about done cooking anything more than trying to boil water with it. It boils water very well but cooking with it I guess I'm just not that skill full. If you did not know they have two size fuel cells I've seen so far. It does last quite some time.
    Russ

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

I don't have a Jetboil, (Snow Peak GigaPower Stove and windscreen) but a 250g canister of fuel will last me 14 days+ cooking up breakfast (4 cups of water for 2 cups of Tea and a bowl of two packets of Instant Oatmeal and toasting 4 halves of mini bagels) and cooking up a quick dinner each day.

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Now this is just based on my personal experience, YMMV.

The JetBoil is single purpose. It boils stuff. Quickly. It has a very concentrated hot flame, small but very effective with the fins built into the bottom of the cup. As others have said, it's great for making coffee (get the French press thingy for nineteen bucks if yours didn't come with it). I also use it to make those overpriced Mountain House meals. You can get a better deal on M.S. at Costco stores sometimes. That's all I use it for. JetBoil does have accessory pots and pans, but you might be disappointed as they are expensive and likely will burn the food, not to mention you will be using a lot of fuel compared to a cheap single burner propane unit that you just screw into a one pound propane bottle.

That's what I use to 'cook' stuff with. Coleman single burner. I don't use a frying pan, etc. since that's gotta be cleaned after use plus I don't want to drag around fresh food like eggs, bacon, whatever. If it fits in a can and is fit for human consumption (no dog/cat food allowed) such as Dinty Moore beef stew/chicken and dumplings, various chilies (Hormel does the job for me), I will eat it. Many kinds of chunky soup now available also. I use a small bucket about the size of a coffee can with appropriate amount of water and drop the unopened can into the water and boil it up. After a couple of beers and a cigar dinner is piping hot and ready to eat. When I'm finished, the dishes (empty can and plastic spoon) go into the trash. Easy-Peasy.

If I don't feel like bothering, there's always Crusty's favorite restaurant and hang out, Mickey D's
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Hi Bob
    I had thought of preparing food like that. I see that you place an unopened can in the water to heat the contents. Do they swell , I would think they would expand and swell. I have opened cans partial and placed over fire I'm sure everyone does that ( moving about as not to boil over ).
    Russ
    Last edited by flruss; 08-30-2015 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Adjust question

I use my jetboil for a lot of things. It makes good coffee and boils water fast. I use a thick aluminum frying pan to cook eggs and such. I posted a youtube video here about it. I went on a two week trip this summer and a 250 coleman can lasted the whole time. I haven't weighed it but it stills has plenty of fuel in it.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Wind knocked down the power lines and we were out of power for 24 hours. I used my jetboil to make coffee, but broke out the two burner camp stove for breakfast. Power came on this afternoon just in time to make my lasagna. Good to go.