Thread: 1999 Kwik Kamp Queen

1999 Kwik Kamp Queen

Does anyone have a Kwik Kamp Queen that can tell me what the empty weight is? A recently advertised one seems to be a very clean one owner but I want to make sure of the weight before I commit. Also, what type of suspension does it have and how effective is it, e.g. controlling bounce? Apparently, the 1999 model was the last year before the company was sold or went out of business.

TIA
    John

(Threadstarter)

Re: 1999 Kwik Kamp Queen

Update: Turned out to be a 1997 Kwik Kamp II made by USA VentureCraft from Abilene, TX. All of the sources I was able to check said the weight was between 325 and 350#. Washington requires an empty weight for all vehicles before it can be titled!!! So, the public scales(supposedly) accurate to +/- 20# showed an amazing 440# with just a spare tire. GVWR is 600#. I suspect that most of the tent trailers on the market must be heavier than advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by nwrider;142331#
    I suspect that most of the tent trailers on the market must be heavier than advertised.
    oh yeah...

Or maybe they just consider the belly pan and axle to be the trailer, anything on top is optional.
    '05 ST1300 - 1987 TravelLite p'up, 1999 Roll-A-Home
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

(Threadstarter)

I was so sure that the public scale might be wrong that I bought a cheap bathroom scale from WallyWorld --- surprise -- the weight was within 1 pound. 195 on the right tire, 190 on the left 44 on the tongue and the spare weighs 11. I'm planning on pulling this with a Yamaha FJR1300 that has a wet weight of 673#. So, with a minimum amount of gear in the trailer we're looking at about 500# for the trailer. This is going to be a totally different experience than my little Uni-Go that at max is 170#. I don't recall seeing a "rule of thumb" for the max ratio of tow vehicle to trailer weight, my Ford Ranger specs indicate that the trailer can weigh more than the truck -- but I doubt if it's the same with a motorcycle.

(Threadstarter)

Well, it's been 4 years since I bought my Kwik Kamp II BelAire and I'm still enjoying it. The FJR as a tow bike didn't work out so I bought a 2003 GL1800 that was already set up with a hitch. I've towed the KK over 6k miles to various campouts and several trips towing it with a van. Just got back from a weekend campout in the foothills of the Cascade Range in Oregon -- what a great way to enjoy the outdoors and have a comfortable place to sleep.

I seem to remember a post from someone that used a 1/2" PVC frame in the bottom of the vestibule to keep the floor area taught -- it may have had an upright section to the top of the vestibule as well -- anyone remember that or have a link to the post?
    TIA
    John

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

Thanks for the update John.
    I thought all of the kwic kamps I've seen had a metal frame around the footprint of the ground section to hold it's shape and don't need a pvc frame.
    Post a picture of your camper.
    Stu.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4
    1988 KampARoo pop up
    Previously 2007 & 2008 Aspen Sentry

(Threadstarter)

You're correct about the outer perimeter frame. The PVC went on the inside of the tent in the vestibule. In part, the issue is that I tilt my unit so that the head of my bed (farthest away from the vestibule) so it's about 6 - 8" higher due to acid reflux. This creates slack in the vestibule.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 97 Kwik Kamp II 003.jpg  

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

Ah Ha! Facts that were omitted.
    It was on Aspen campers that folks made the pvc frames and poles. I upgraded the poles to extending painter's poles. Sorry I don't have a link or pictures on this phone.

I also liked the idea of the PVC frame in my camper, so I built my own. The two photos I have attached are not brilliant and I have since sold the camper so can't take any more.

The main part of the design was to make sure it fitted under the travel cover when not in use. To do that it had to be in two pieces, so I glued all the joints except in the middle so it could be pulled apart.

After making it I never used peg to hold out the bottom of the tent again. The pole you can see in one of the photos is actually a legs for the bed that folded into the tent area, at the other end I used adjustable tent poles with c-clip fittings to attach to the top frame of the tent support. The c-clips are available from camping stores or marine shops. The brace through the middle was necessary to provide additional stiffness.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23360[/ATTACH

]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elite Camper for sale Aug 2017.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	23361

I used 1' electrical conduit the and associated fittings all purchased from the local hardware store.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elite Camper for sale Aug 2017 (1).jpg  
    May the Force be with you, gravity never fails.