Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helinox Camp Chair

Re: Helinox Camp Chair

My wife found these chairs or chairs like these before Christmas for $39.00 bought 2 of them for gifts.

(Threadstarter)

Alright, The rails worked out GREAT. What I didn't like was the use of aluminum. They were time consuming to make and I did not like the finished look on the chair. Now that I know how they work I came up with revision A. Made from gray electrical 1 1/4" PVC. They were very easy to make, 10 to 15 minutes with the proper tools and I feel they look much better on the chair.

The gray PVC found in electrical is also UV resistant unlike the white PVC for plumbing which turns yellow over time. Cost is under $2.00 a set making them yourself. Each is 17" in length and no, won't fit in the Helio carrying bag.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211

Keith
    Is a great idea, why did you use 1inch. I had a thought and took a stab at this with 3/4 pvc. Drilled out the caps with a 1 in bit. Still won't fit in bag, but could cut in half an use a coupling. Only made one, 13 3/4 long stick of pvc then glued caps on. I know you put thought into your design. Could you share some of your thoughts. Was sitting in chair with just the one and was wondering if I need more than one seem like most of weight is in the rear. Going outside with a hose to the lawn and have a sit in. Thanks in advance.
    Russ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Only thing I see 'wrong' with this approach has to do with stability. With 4 independent legs uneven ground isn't really a problem. With those runners on won't it be a bit harder to make it stable when you sit it down? Not knocking it at all, it's a very nice upgrade project for a very cool chair, just asking questions.

I had seen a heavy weight guy using this chair and that made me very interested in it, he ended up putting tennis balls on each foot. I thought that was a pretty cool suggestion, but having to add 4 possibly nasty tennis balls in the bag isn't ideal either.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

I wonder if cane tips slipped over the original tips would work(?)
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Nix the tennis balls. I like the cane feet idea, these feet on the chair are pretty good, I could see the horizontal feet great for the sand but not sure I'm going any further with this. Not seeing sinking a problem, it will stop when it hits bedrock. But I really like BT feet, just don't understand the size of 1 1/4 tube.
    Russ

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by flruss View Post
    Keith
    Is a great idea, why did you use 1inch. I had a thought and took a stab at this with 3/4 pvc. Drilled out the caps with a 1 in bit. Still won't fit in bag, but could cut in half an use a coupling. Only made one, 13 3/4 long stick of pvc then glued caps on. I know you put thought into your design. Could you share some of your thoughts. Was sitting in chair with just the one and was wondering if I need more than one seem like most of weight is in the rear. Going outside with a hose to the lawn and have a sit in. Thanks in advance.
    Russ
    I actually went with 1 1/4" PVC. The radius at the tip of the leg matches the radius of the inside of the tube, they seem to match very well. Measuring up from the tip 1 1/4" ( inside tube dimension) on the legs tip with calipers it measured 1 1/16". This is the size the hole needed to be to insure a nice snug fit when assembled. To assemble you slide 1 side in first and before you insert the 2nd leg above ( 1 side only ) you slide the last tip in from the tubes end then install the leg. I did not want to deal with extra parts such as bungee cords or hooks. Once assembled the legs can't fall off as you pick the chair up and move/carry it around, its part of the chair at this point until dis-assembled.

And once again all does not fit in the chairs bag. But it does happen to all fit in the zippered bag I bought for my kernit chair which will have to go without till I get the color I want for the Helinox.

Hay there BT I knew that there was more to your thoughts on your design. Thanks for posting back. Looks like my chair is slightly different. That would explain why the measurements are so different. Kaitiff just so you know I said nix to the tennis balls as the idea of carrying dirty balls around was a less than pleasent thought. I do agree it sounds like it would work fine. Any how here are a couple of pictures of the one I made, does not fall off when on the chair. BT I thought that you would have a problem in the sand as of you pictures and where you posted you camped earlier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Not sure of the diameter of the legs of the Helinox, but TravelChair makes a set to fit the legs of their chairs. They came on my "Roo" and I like them.
    http://travelchair.com/products/anti...-feet-set-of-4
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"