Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cumberland Gap Wilderness Road Campground

Re: Cumberland Gap Wilderness Road Campground

Quote Originally Posted by Meach View Post
    Since we use a cargo trailer we always keep food in it overnight to keep critters out of it, different story with pop-ups. I would think in containers in storage area would work or hang in a tree as stated, which is what we we used to do backpacking in bear country. If park doesn't have storage lockers then must not have much of a bear problem.

Many years ago camping when my kids were young we were at Fort Mtn. SP in GA, talk about a bear problem. Every night it was like the bear parade as they came thru and raided all the garbage cans and drug the trash out into the woods to go thru it. They would walk right past the tents and not bother anything, they were headed for those yummy trash cans. Later state put in better bear proof containers.
    Then they went for the tents, huh?

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Would really hate for a Barr to rip the lid off my Hannigan just to get to that left-over bologna sandwich I stored inside...even worse, would hate for it to stroll inside my tent checking out the scent of my latest after shave lotion...not that I shave when camping. I'm sure my B.O. might be an attractant at times. Sleep well.

Like Meach said, if bear were much of an issue containers would probably have been provided and more enforcement would be the order of the day for proper food storage....

E. Iowa, Overnite Camping 15mi off Hwy 20

On the other hand wouldn't you hate to be the person who was the reason for new concern! Something to think about if there are bears around.

Bear-proof containers. Never lived in an area with bears. Two years ago spent winter near Ocala National Forest. Bear warning signs everywhere. Pulled up at some park in the area and thought it was time to get rid of the coffee cups. Went to one of the trash containers, pulled the handle, just got a clunk. Tried it again, got a clunk. Realized it was bear proof, found the latch and opened it. Park employee watching me, asked for my name. Told him Ron. Said he would update the sign as soon as he got back to the office. New sign would read "Bear Proof & Ron Resistant".

Quote Originally Posted by TNtraveler View Post
    Then they went for the tents, huh?
    Good Question. Haven't camped there in many years, but we do pass by it on a regular basis and stop in on occasion as its on one of our day trip routes.

Being this is the 100th year aniv. of the NPS there have been several news articles relative to different parks recently. There was one (on npr.org if I recall correctly) about Yellowstone, how they set up bleachers around the trash dump in the early days so people could come out each evening and watch the bears come in and feed. At the time it was viewed as a tourist attraction.

Eastern Blackbears are pretty timid around humans but if they find an easy meal they'll keep coming back (kinda like a lot of folks I know) . Back in my college days I spent a couple summers helping my college advisor on a bear research project up in the Smokies, on a regular basis we hiked certain trails and recorded bear markings and picked up bear scat, only a couple times did we actually see one. They would hear/smell/see us coming and be long gone, you would hear em quite often running away from us in the underbrush.
    Meach and Maggie
    05 vtx1300
    07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
    09 DL 650 VSTROM

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRon View Post
    Bear-proof containers. Never lived in an area with bears. Two years ago spent winter near Ocala National Forest. Bear warning signs everywhere. Pulled up at some park in the area and thought it was time to get rid of the coffee cups. Went to one of the trash containers, pulled the handle, just got a clunk. Tried it again, got a clunk. Realized it was bear proof, found the latch and opened it. Park employee watching me, asked for my name. Told him Ron. Said he would update the sign as soon as he got back to the office. New sign would read "Bear Proof & Ron Resistant".
    ~~~~LIKE~~~~LIKE~~~~

Gary

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Never underestimate a bear when it comes to food! They can be extremely aggressive, especially a sow with cubs!!
    When backpacking in the 'Dacks' of NY, you must have an approved Bear Canister. You are in violation of the rules if you hang food from a tree with a rope, as they know how to get your food when you use that method. Very clever animals, with a very keen sense of smell! They have been know to break into cars when all there was in it was an empty chewing gum wrapper, or they saw an empty cooler inside!!

When I backpacked through Canyonland's Salt Creek Canyon, if you didn't have a bear proof container, they loaned your a Ursack bear bag to keep your food/toiletries in.

I've stored food hauled up in trees many times while out backpacking, wilderness canoe tripping and motocamping.

I have even hauled coolers up in the air suspended by rope from the trees with the use of a pulley, but you have to have sturdy enough trees for that and it's a PITA to do so!!
    I doubt if I'd want to hoist the size of the cooler I have with my cargo trailer/camper up into the trees, now.

The makers of Yeti Coolers claim that some of the models of their coolers are certified 'Bear Proof', when used with padlocks, but they are way over priced AFAIC!

BTW ... if you have a car carrier, or Tag-Along type cargo trailer, that is no protection against a bear getting at your food. The tops are pretty flimsy, especially when a bear can rip a car door off!

This is how I hang my food bag when I've no cooler along. ....

Here's a picture showing how I pack for a 5 week trip when camping off the bike and you can see the ice cream lid in the upper right portion of my saddlebag. ....

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Meach View Post
    If park doesn't have storage lockers then must not have much of a bear problem.
    Agreed. Although Black Bears generally aren't aggressive, as Dusty said, don't get between them and a snack. More importantly, don't give them a reason to come looking for a snack.

Unfortunately, people with sloppy camping practices attract them. I was camping out in PA at a remote site when one came sniffing around my tent. I just went back to sleep and it went away. I found out the next morning that police had to be called to a family campground in the adjacent valley because of bear activity. The bears probably learned that the casual campers there were a lot less attentive to good woodland camping practices.

I've never been to a campground that provided food lockers before. Nice idea, but not all that common. I certainly wouldn't let the lack of them cause me to stay away. Am I a camper or not?

My practice: I always pack food that's canned or sealed in packages (It's not fine cuisine, but at least I get to eat it, not the bears.), always clean up (including washing the cookware) right after I'm done eating, tie any trash up into a plastic bag and take it right to the dumpsters.

Anyway, if it's a big concern, few places are so far away that I couldn't eat at some local diner before heading back to camp. I may sometimes choose to buy just enough food for supper so I don't have to store any in the tent. You get the idea.

I always pack some line so I can string up a bag in a tree if I have to.

Although I've never packed it along yet, I also have a bear vault...

https://www.rei.com/product/768902/b...food-container

...which comes in two sizes. You don't hang it. Just store your food in it and just leave it someplace away from your tent when you can find it when you want it. Bears can't open it, it's lightweight, and although it's big it really doesn't take up much luggage area because you can put other stuff in it besides food as you ride along. It's a little pricey, but the savings from one night in a tent compared to a hotel will buy one. Incidentally, it also doubles as a stool.

Frankly, I don't worry much about them.

That doesn't mean I like them, though. And I have company...Make sure you pack your light sabre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsTV...ature=youtu.be

I was camping in the Smoky's this weekend and the campground owner told us there were two rare bear attacks recently...One was a ranger who was bluff charged, the other was a boy sleeping in one of those camping hammocks. He's OK. It was speculated that he had used a fruity-smelling shampoo which attracted an unusually hungry bear. I try not to smell like dessert.
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

Quote Originally Posted by menhir View Post
    I was camping in the Smoky's this weekend and the campground owner told us there were two rare bear attacks recently...One was a ranger who was bluff charged, the other was a boy sleeping in one of those camping hammocks. He's OK. It was speculated that he had used a fruity-smelling shampoo which attracted an unusually hungry bear. I try not to smell like dessert.
    Bwahahah.... Thats my reason for not taking to many showers when camping out! hehe..

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Never underestimate a bear when it comes to food! They can be extremely aggressive, especially a sow with cubs!!
    When backpacking in the 'Dacks' of NY, you must have an approved Bear Canister. You are in violation of the rules if you hang food from a tree with a rope, as they know how to get your food when you use that method. Very clever animals, with a very keen sense of smell! They have been know to break into cars when all there was in it was an empty chewing gum wrapper, or they saw an empty cooler inside!!

When I backpacked through Canyonland's Salt Creek Canyon, if you didn't have a bear proof container, they loaned your a Ursack bear bag to keep your food/toiletries in.

I've stored food hauled up in trees many times while out backpacking, wilderness canoe tripping and motocamping.

I have even hauled coolers up in the air suspended by rope from the trees with the use of a pulley, but you have to have sturdy enough trees for that and it's a PITA to do so!!
    I doubt if I'd want to hoist the size of the cooler I have with my cargo trailer/camper up into the trees, now.

The makers of Yeti Coolers claim that some of the models of their coolers are certified 'Bear Proof', when used with padlocks, but they are way over priced AFAIC!

BTW ... if you have a car carrier, or Tag-Along type cargo trailer, that is no protection against a bear getting at your food. The tops are pretty flimsy, especially when a bear can rip a car door off!

This is how I hang my food bag when I've no cooler along. ....

Here's a picture showing how I pack for a 5 week trip when camping off the bike and you can see the ice cream lid in the upper right portion of my saddlebag. ....

Dusty
    Where is the GLOCK??