Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cumberland Gap Wilderness Road Campground

Cumberland Gap Wilderness Road Campground

Located in the very SW corner of Virginia very near the Cumberland Gap Tunnel. 160 sites, all very private, about half with electric and on paved sites. This campground has about 5-6 Loops with the upper 4 having paved surface and the remaining having a gravel/grass base. Each of the paved Loops has a nice, clean bath house with plenty of hot water. Water spigots are located near each bath/shower houses. Primitive sites...$14.00, Electric- $20.00, $10 with Golden Age Pass....Really enjoyed this location. All campsites are First Come-First Serve...only reservations taken for Group camping.

https://goo.gl/maps/zoluN

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hunt's Trip 6-15 052.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	254.4 KB 
ID:	16357

Name:	Hunt's Trip 6-15 051.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	239.9 KB 
ID:	16358

Name:	Hunt's Trip 6-15 049.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	273.0 KB 
ID:	16359

Re: Cumberland Gap Wilderness Road Campground

Thanks for posting. This looks like a great location for some really good riding!
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Just returned from 5 days at this beautiful campground...taking a few photos trying to show the privacy between sites, the bathroom/shower layout, the free (for the time being) wood available and speaking a little about the local surrounding attractions.

Name:	Cumberland Gap  Apr 2016 053.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	18400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cumberland Gap  Apr 2016 055.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	18401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cumberland Gap  Apr 2016 054.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	334.8 KB 
ID:	18402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cumberland Gap  Apr 2016 008.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	308.5 KB 
ID:	18403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cumberland Gap  Apr 2016 016.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	312.4 KB 
ID:	18404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cumberland Gap  Apr 2016 021.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	363.0 KB 
ID:	18405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cumberland Gap  Apr 2016 038.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	18406

Located in the SW corner of Virginia, just through the Tunnel crossing from Kentucky into Tennessee then Virginia...one can view all three States from the Pinnacle, reached by means of a paved narrow and winding road 4-5 miles up from the Welcome Station. "On a clear day one can see forever," as the song goes.

Wouldn't it be great if some industrious MotoCampers member would throw out the idea of a get-together at this great place for a few days??? Count me in.

https://www.nps.gov/cuga/

I will start a new thread for this discussion and ask one of the Admins to move the conversation to it rather than keeping it over here in this VA campground review area. That way we can do some planning.

This is a link to the new thread http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...559#post152559

Done I hope.
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

Wow Marty, Thanks for the pics. Ya got my mouth watering!

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

So Marty .... how/where did you store your food and other scented items there when MotoCamping??

I noticed the campground has a food storage order ...

From the NPS website ....

" In the campground, all food and garbage must be kept sealed in a vehicle (preferably the trunk), or as otherwise directed, at all times when not in use. Unattended or improperly stored coolers and food may be impounded by park staff and kept at the campground office. This regulation will be strictly enforced and violators are subject to fines. "

I know at some National Forest campgrounds and National parks, they provide metal food lockers, either for each individual campsite, or scattered throughout the campgrounds that those without vehicles, or hard sided campers must use.

The camp host were zealots at my last visit to Glacier NP, nosing around my campsite when I walked down to pay for my site. She was going to give me a 'Nastygram' about not having my food stored in one of their newly installed food lockers. (which are located over near the washrooms)
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

I checked with the park and they do not have any storage containers other than beat proof trash cans. Look like I wont be going there to camp with the MC. Zipp

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by zipp View Post
    I checked with the park and they do not have any storage containers other than beat proof trash cans. Look like I wont be going there to camp with the MC. Zipp
    Yeah, checked on this when checking in the last visit and was told pretty much the same thing...I wound up swinging my cooler from a nearby tree limb....was told that bear sightings were a very rare occurrence and they did not seem too concerned about how one managed their food storage, if in a vehicle, suggested leaving it there overnight..if on a bike, well, they hadn't thought that one out yet...leaving it to the individual. Both times I had been there I never saw any official checking for food storage practices and there were several tent campers scattered about. But that was a very good question Dusty.

Since we use a cargo trailer we always keep food in it overnight to keep critters out of it, different story with pop-ups. I would think in containers in storage area would work or hang in a tree as stated, which is what we we used to do backpacking in bear country. If park doesn't have storage lockers then must not have much of a bear problem.

Many years ago camping when my kids were young we were at Fort Mtn. SP in GA, talk about a bear problem. Every night it was like the bear parade as they came thru and raided all the garbage cans and drug the trash out into the woods to go thru it. They would walk right past the tents and not bother anything, they were headed for those yummy trash cans. Later state put in better bear proof containers.
    Meach and Maggie
    05 vtx1300
    07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
    09 DL 650 VSTROM