Thread: Hopewell Lake

Hopewell Lake

Hopewell Lake is on Hwy 64 high in the mountains between Tres Piedras and Tierra Amarilla. Stayed one night in June 2013, at 9500' ASL it gave me a cool break from the hot New Mexico days I was experiencing at lower elevations. Matter of fact it was a little too cool for the summertime sleeping bag I had with me, it was downright cold that night. Nice and secluded, all of the camp sites immediatly surrounding mine were empty. Beautiful campground with lots of pine and aspen trees. Some nice hiking trails around the tiny lake. This is an old gold mining area and you can still see some of the digs and a few old pieces of equipment. I was a little concerned about the possibility of bears so after supper I ditched the little bit of remaining food I had with me.

I have a proximity alarm on my bike, if someone walks by it will start chirping. As they get closer the chirping intensifies, and finally goes into full alarm/siren mode. At least 6 or 8 times during the night something kept chirping the alarm and once it even went into full siren. I was sure a bear was about to mistake me for a beef burrito in a nylon tortilla shell, but everytime I stuck my head out of the tent I didn't see anything. Next morning I found dusty little racoon pawprints all over my bike. Some nice fishermen camped down the way a little bit offered me some coffee. They had been coming there for years and said the Park service had to put down a bear a few years before that was bothering campers, but none heard of since then so I guess my worries were for nothing.

Vault toilet, drinking water. Each site has a picnic table and a fire ring.

36 42' 6.79" N 106 14' 12.45" W

Re: Hopewell Lake

If you would had turn left instead of a right into the campground and followed the forest rode a few hundred yards, there is free camping. Go there all the time. Nice quiet lake with some great roads to ride to Chama, then Pagosa Springs Colorado or straight up to Ponderosa. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: Hopewell Lake

Thanks for the review and photos of a great area of NM.
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg