Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More tongue please

Re: More tongue please

Quote Originally Posted by bvail View Post
    That's a neat idea, but might look a bit weird with a shiny pole sticking out up front. I had an old Matchless bike that had lots of aluminum. Kept me busy on winter nights rubbing with Simi-Chrome. Wonder if they still make that stuff...
    Yep, they still make it. Bought a tube yesterday at a local bike shop called Compitition Cycle Center. Been using it since the 60's.

bvail, You'll know you have the right primer if it comes out of the can GREEN. Home Depot has it here in North Miami Beach
    The internet? Is that thing still around?

ssteve

I am thinking of lengthing the tongue of my Aspen Classic. I am thinking I can go either 6 or 12 inches longer by using tubing that will slide into the existing tongue and make it extenable. Would a 6 inch extension make a big difference in most of you guys opinion? I have figured out that I can make it so I can go either 6 or 10 or 12 inches and still shorten it up for the parking space I have for it under my carport. I await everyone's 'professional'(?) opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by limpy45 View Post
    I am thinking of lengthing the tongue of my Aspen Classic. I am thinking I can go either 6 or 12 inches longer by using tubing that will slide into the existing tongue and make it extenable. Would a 6 inch extension make a big difference in most of you guys opinion? I have figured out that I can make it so I can go either 6 or 10 or 12 inches and still shorten it up for the parking space I have for it under my carport. I await everyone's 'professional'(?) opinions.
    "BY THE NUMBERS" it will be 14 in. longer. Your still good at 12 in.
    If this is your trailer (pix) and it were me, that's a large side wind sail, I'd go 16 in. longer.

It will be a little harder finding a normal size parking space to fit in.

My current rig is JUST short of 20 ft. My future rig (still planning stage) looks to be 24 ft. at 500# Net & 800# Gross.
    Mid-80's I hauled a 1/2 ton trailer cross-country behind my XS1100 for 15,000 miles. Box size, 4'x6' with a (if I remember correctly) a 3 ft. tongue. In 2 butt-pucker moments it was flawless, nary a wobble to be felt. I did have a little yaw when big-rigs passed so I gave space.
    HOPE THIS INFO HELPS

14" longer tongue
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aspen Classic.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	21540
    Never mind the ROCKS
    LET'S ROLL!

When was the last time you tasted your oil?

I think you must be using 'new math'. I am going to extend it either 6 inches or 12 inches. No way that comes up to 14 inches. I am using tubing that slides inside the existing hitch tongue so it can be shortened for storage and lengthened out 12 for towing. I did all that today. Just finished up tonight so have not had a chance to try it yet. Strange part is the trailer pulled really nice behind our GL1500 all over Montana, Wyoming, and North Dakota. Hook it up to the GL1800 and it would wiggle a bit, not to much, just enough I could see it in the mirrors and feel it in the bike. I think it is because of the 1800's 'sporty suspension'. The bike is more sensitive to road surface changes and does not like to track in a straight line with out constant input unlike the 1500. I could point that bike in the general direction and just sit back and enjoy the scenery while the bike pretty much just went straight. I like the performance of the 1800 better, but also like the ride and comfort of the other. It died in a fire so I did not have a choice about keeping it. Insurance company did not really want me to repair it. I am just trying to make everything handle better and smoother. I should not take up any more space in a parking lot than a long bed pick up truck if even that.

I think you must be using 'new math'. I am going to extend it either 6 inches or 12 inches. No way that comes up to 14 inches. I am using tubing that slides inside the existing hitch tongue so it can be shortened for storage and lengthened out 12 for towing. I did all that today. Just finished up tonight so have not had a chance to try it yet. Strange part is the trailer pulled really nice behind our GL1500 all over Montana, Wyoming, and North Dakota. Hook it up to the GL1800 and it would wiggle a bit, not to much, just enough I could see it in the mirrors and feel it in the bike. I think it is because of the 1800's 'sporty suspension'. The bike is more sensitive to road surface changes and does not like to track in a straight line with out constant input unlike the 1500. I could point that bike in the general direction and just sit back and enjoy the scenery while the bike pretty much just went straight. I like the performance of the 1800 better, but also like the ride and comfort of the other. It died in a fire so I did not have a choice about keeping it. Insurance company did not really want me to repair it. I am just trying to make everything handle better and smoother. I should not take up any more space in a parking lot than a long bed pick up truck if even that.
    You asked... "I await everyone's 'professional'(?) opinions."
    WELL.. .. ..
    I don't get PAID for pulling my trailers around the country, so THAT makes me an amateur. BUT...
    I build trailers, I repair trailers, I've even extended the trailers tongues for safety.
    I hauled HEAVY trailers behind my Wing and XS1100 cross country WITHOUT incident for just over 100K miles.
    I've even hauled several trailer loads behind my Wing that weighed a mere 150 pounds (so far) to 1580 pounds.
    My GoldWing has 250,000 miles on its OEM, still original clutch motor (T-Belts @125,000 miles).

NAAAAAWWWWwwww. . . . . I'm no PROFESSIONAL.
    So DON'T take my word for a grain of salt.
    (sorry I responded)

WTF?

Here's a thread that may be worth a read.

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...l=1#post128773
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Well, for what it is worth, I finally got to try out the "extended" tongue this last week. Pulled the Aspen Classic behind my 2000 Grand Caravan though instead of the Wing. Pulled really nice. Smooth and quiet with no wag or anything unusual. I am satisfied with this set up so far. Now just need to see about a 4 wire to 5 wire conversion gizmo for when I pull the camper with our van or RAV4. Raining now or I would be trying it out behind the Wing just to see how it handles.

Now this trailer has some tongue!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails longtongue.jpg  
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 30,000+ miles
    1988 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

I finally had a chance to take it out for a 'test' ride with the GL1800. Worked very well. I did not notice any wiggling or wagging like I did before. The total length of the tongue extension is just shy of 12 inches. Very easy to slide out and in. Just take the nut off, pull the bolt out and wiggle the tongue a bit to get it to slide. Re- install the bolt and nut and go!!