Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More tongue please

Bob Vail
    (Threadstarter)

Re: More tongue please

How about a magnet?
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

HarleyJack

simi chrome is still around

be a good sailor and prep that aluminum with zinc chromate
    2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra

Zinc chromate primer on the aluminum after cleaning well, then paint after that. We used that on semi trailers when I worked in a repair shop and also the aircraft maintaince guys used it on parts when I was in the Air National Guard. I have used it on lots of stuff since and it does a great job. Takes many years for rust to show up.

Zinc chromate..sounds like what we primed aluminum bulkheads with in the navy! Thinking the aluminum would lighten my mini-mate some more and could add a tad more length. Am going to welder for another project and will inquire about aluminum..where to get?
    Last edited by bluemoose; 05-10-2015 at 01:07 AM. Reason: spelling

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Just so the Aspen owners are aware, the tongues on the Aspen are less than 1/8" in thickness, so if you are thinking on making your camper's tongue longer, a piece of 2" x 2" x 1/8" square steel tubing by whatever length you are after is plenty thick enough for your needs as one that is 1/4" in thickness is way overkill and twice the weight
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Same for Mity Mite trailers. I believe the stock tongue is probably 3/32 inch, AT THE MOST. I first bought 1/4" to put on all new tongue, and after I got home (the steel yard people put it in my truck) as soon as I picked it up, WOW, I quickly had the wrong stuff. So without even coming in the house, I want back down to the steel yard. I did a poor job measuring the thickness of the tongue, as I bought a new tongue that was 1/8", finished it off, put paint on it, then went over to friends house to change it, and dang it, the stock tongue was much lighter than 1/8 inch, but I'd already bought enough steel, so to hell with it.

I hope to get camping gear into the trailer next weekend, (leaving for Alaska weekend after that) and I'll weight the whole trailer, wheel for wheel, as well as the tongue weight. I can't even guess how it is going to turn it out. I'm weighing each duffel as I finish loading them - I believe there is going to be 10 duffle bags (each only filled about 3/4 full, so I can rummage around in them, and be able to find stuff. Two (of the 10) are large dry bags I'm going to carry on top of the trailer - one mostly for a sleeping bag, which is V E R Y bulky and the other for the bike coat that I'm not wearing. (I have to do a coat change between about 67 F and 75 F.) My little trailer is next to impossible to get open, without completely unpacking it, so I decided to carry the coat (and extra rain jacket) on top. On top of the trunk of the bike, I have a "leather bike luggage" with: rain fly, rain gear, pillow, and very light 1/2 cover for the bike.

2008 Goldwing with Roadsmith Conversion
    Vietnam Vet - - - Iron Butt 1000 - - - N8HDW

When I built my H/F Tag Along, I extended the tongue 24", but I used a mild steel tubing...as others have said, either vinegar or a self etching primer should do the trick...
    John - FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
    '03 GL1800 '08 Lees-ure Lite
    Double Darkside #1547
    GWRRA KY-G

My trailer had enough tongue but not enough tail. So I gave her 18" of more tail. Now she's happy.

Never mind the ROCKS
    LET'S ROLL!

When was the last time you tasted your oil?

I know this is an older post but there was link to it from a guy asking about how heavy tubing he needed to extend a tongue on another post. My hitch on my Victory stood a bit tall for my MiniMate. I wanted a bit more tongue length so I got added about 4" of rise and about 12" of length. I cut two pieces of 2' x 2" 1/8" square tubing and welded them onto the tongue. Now I have an almost level tongue with my behind and a loaded cooler on the trailer. It's not perfect but it's much closer than without the mod.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tongue Mod.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	18307
    We ride because we can .... Victory Hammer with Trans Moto Sidecar, Kompact Kamp Mini Mate

Simichrome is wonderful stuff!
    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!