Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More tongue please

More tongue please

After reading how a longer tongue improves handling performance, I purchased a 2X2X60X3/16th inch piece of square aluminum tubing via the internet. Arrived in record speed and I plan on removing the bolt on center piece of the tongue on my Aspen Classic, which is 42" and replacing with the 60" tube. That should steady up the trailer real nice.

The install should be pretty easy, but I'm wondering how to paint the new pole, since it's aluminum. From what I read one can't just spay a can of Krylon on the aluminum and expect it to stick.

After a bit of Googling I came up with this website: http://www.ehow.com/how_6760636_pain...m-vinegar.html that explains how to etch the aluminum in order to help the metal hold the paint. I could always just bolt on the unpainted pole, but that would be pretty ugly.

I know some of you have extended your trailer hitch with aluminum tubing, but what did you do to properly apply a finish? Or did you?

p.s. The new pole - all five feet - only weighs in around eleven pounds. Might need to add extra adult sparkling beverages to the cooler for ballast
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Re: More tongue please

I had some aluminum trim I had to paint to match my building. I used vinegar to clean it, then a rattle can of aluminum primer and then regular exterior grade paint over it. It has been a year and it worked fine.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

You can get self etching primer that will etch the metal befor painting.

Senior
    2009 Victory Vision
    Aspen classic
    Over night Camping welcome

I used steel tubing when I did mine.there is a aluminum prep made to use on aluminum before painting. also etching primer should work as well.

You could also polish it! Polished aluminum can be as bright as chrome! Here is an example of when I did my bike forks:

Before and after

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Don't forget, Bob .... you'll have to splice into your trailer side wiring harness to add extra length to it as well!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Bob Vail
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Don't forget, Bob .... you'll have to splice into your trailer side wiring harness to add extra length to it as well!
    Yup, that's one of the reasons why I have been procrastinating this job. That and being lazy ) The wiring extension and tongue mounting should be a piece of cake.

Bob Vail
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by mcgovern61 View Post
    You could also polish it! Polished aluminum can be as bright as chrome! Here is an example of when I did my bike forks:

That's a neat idea, but might look a bit weird with a shiny pole sticking out up front. I had an old Matchless bike that had lots of aluminum. Kept me busy on winter nights rubbing with Simi-Chrome. Wonder if they still make that stuff...

Bob Vail
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
    I had some aluminum trim I had to paint to match my building. I used vinegar to clean it, then a rattle can of aluminum primer and then regular exterior grade paint over it. It has been a year and it worked fine.
    That's my plan Larry. Vinegar for cleaning and etching and then a good etching primer and exterior paint. Want this to be a one-time job. Thanks

I got more tongue. Even just today. I have a Mity Mite and went from 52" to 72". Has first coat of paint on it, and will install it Friday. Already have the wiring done.

What I need to do now is get inside and see if I can find the heads of the bolts. I think just stabbing down through the carpet, I surely should be able to hit the heads of the bolts.

I used 1/8" wall, 2" X 2" steel tubing.

2008 Goldwing with Roadsmith Conversion
    Vietnam Vet - - - Iron Butt 1000 - - - N8HDW