Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HeliBars

(Threadstarter)

Re: HeliBars

Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    I like my Airhawk. You have to get the air right, but if you do, I find that it spreads the weight just enough that I don't get hot spots and I still maintain just enough seat contact that I don't feel disconnected. My air pressure is just to the point that if my weight shifts forward, I loose all the air forward but if I sit back I get the best cushioning effect.

Richard
    I know a bunch of riders who love their Airhawks which is why I purchased one. But, since I am very short, most GW riders are not 5'2", I can't deal with much added height to the seat at all. When I had enough air in the Airhawk to make it comfortable, the reach to the bars gave me a constant pain the in shoulders/neck area. It also did not seem to accommodate the differing pelvis of a female over a male very well.
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

I would also like to try the Helibars on my GW. In the past I would just use a long pipe and slowly bend'em until they felt better. The 1500/1800 doesn't allow that of course but my arms do feel abit wide on them versus the 1100. Your OEM seat may need replacing with another of the same. I use an Air Hawk or sheepskin when I start to have a pain. Good luck.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by StanC View Post
    I would also like to try the Helibars on my GW. In the past I would just use a long pipe and slowly bend'em until they felt better. The 1500/1800 doesn't allow that of course but my arms do feel abit wide on them versus the 1100. Your OEM seat may need replacing with another of the same. I use an Air Hawk or sheepskin when I start to have a pain. Good luck.
    I will report back once I get to spend a number of consecutive hours riding with them. Below are pictures of them after the install.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150417_173311.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	490.8 KB 
ID:	16038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150417_173340.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	476.2 KB 
ID:	16039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150417_173352.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	482.2 KB 
ID:	16040

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    I like my Airhawk. You have to get the air right, but if you do, I find that it spreads the weight just enough that I don't get hot spots and I still maintain just enough seat contact that I don't feel disconnected. My air pressure is just to the point that if my weight shifts forward, I loose all the air forward but if I sit back I get the best cushioning effect.

Richard

I got in touch with cuz yesterday, he is going to try to put his hands on his for me to try. It could have been the seat on his Electra Glide forced me to set in one spot. I'm hoping it's not going to be too tall on the Strom with my short legs!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Thanks for the pics. I look forward to your report. I do like the cross bar.

(Threadstarter)

I now have close to 800 miles on the Helibars and love them. No more shoulder pain at all. It does take a bit of adjustment to get them right but boy, once I did it was a different world. I rode 500 miles straight though from NoVa to NW Ohio and had no pain on arrival. That is WAY different that with the stock bars with Kury risers on them.

Seat pad, not so good. I am still playing with it to get the air right. Hopefully I will do that soon or I will be returning it.

Quite a few folks in the Concours Owners Group have put Horizon Helibars on their bikes. They are high quality, and fit perfectly. Very well made. Quite adjustable. And very expensive.
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I now have close to 800 miles on the Helibars and love them. No more shoulder pain at all. It does take a bit of adjustment to get them right but boy, once I did it was a different world. I rode 500 miles straight though from NoVa to NW Ohio and had no pain on arrival. That is WAY different that with the stock bars with Kury risers on them.

Seat pad, not so good. I am still playing with it to get the air right. Hopefully I will do that soon or I will be returning it.
    Glad to hear they are working out for you Deb! Let us know what you figure out on the Airhawk...............

I too had issues with the stock GL1500 bars.
    Once I found what position I wanted I took a torch to the bars bends. No'Mo issues.

The stock bars were pointing inward a bit too much. It twisted the wrists, lower and upper arms in a slightly awkward position.
    Never understood why OEM did that.
    Never mind the ROCKS
    LET'S ROLL!

When was the last time you tasted your oil?

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I now have close to 800 miles on the Helibars and love them. No more shoulder pain at all. It does take a bit of adjustment to get them right but boy, once I did it was a different world. I rode 500 miles straight though from NoVa to NW Ohio and had no pain on arrival.
    i received helibars for my GL1800 this past week and hope to install them in the coming week. i installed them on my st1100 years ago and would odten ride silicon valley -> LA / san diego w/out pain/in comfort ... i expect the same with the GL install.

thx for the update.