Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HeliBars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HeliBars

Last couple of years I been having one heck of a time with pain between my shoulders after riding a full day...miles don't matter but hours in the saddle does...so I decided to replace the handle bars on my Goldwing with Helibars.

I have put about 300 miles on the bike since the install trying different positions, different pads on my seat (seat is the next thing to make more comfortable), and differing heights on the bars. The biggest help so far has been that now the grips are much closer together so my arm spread is not as pronounced. I do notice the bars are closer to me also.

I am heading out for long ride on the 27th and can't wait to actually spend the day with them.

So, anyone else have Helibars?
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Re: HeliBars

Deb I don't have Helibars, but I have a set of Rox risers on the V-Strom. That made a big difference for me in comfort by being able to bring the bars a little closer and rotate them to a more comfortable position. The previous owner put a Corbin seat on the bike and it set me a little farther back than stock seat of the bike I demoed. After almost 40,000 miles I'm still not really a fan of the Corbin seat. Someday I would love to end up with a Sargent seat, after just setting on Brent's bike with the Sargent it was a very noticeable difference in comfort.

I hope these work out for ya!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

I had Kury risers on the GW and these replaced those.

Sounds like you have tried every option on the market for a better cushion. I us a sheep skin for now, I am saving my pennies for a Russell day long seat some day

Senior
    2009 Victory Vision
    Aspen classic
    Over night Camping welcome

Have you tried C&C motorcycle seats: http://www.ccseats.com/

I like my Airhawk. You have to get the air right, but if you do, I find that it spreads the weight just enough that I don't get hot spots and I still maintain just enough seat contact that I don't feel disconnected. My air pressure is just to the point that if my weight shifts forward, I loose all the air forward but if I sit back I get the best cushioning effect.

Richard

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    I like my Airhawk. You have to get the air right, but if you do, I find that it spreads the weight just enough that I don't get hot spots and I still maintain just enough seat contact that I don't feel disconnected. My air pressure is just to the point that if my weight shifts forward, I loose all the air forward but if I sit back I get the best cushioning effect.

Richard
    I know a bunch of riders who love their Airhawks which is why I purchased one. But, since I am very short, most GW riders are not 5'2", I can't deal with much added height to the seat at all. When I had enough air in the Airhawk to make it comfortable, the reach to the bars gave me a constant pain the in shoulders/neck area. It also did not seem to accommodate the differing pelvis of a female over a male very well.

Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post

Richard

I got in touch with cuz yesterday, he is going to try to put his hands on his for me to try. It could have been the seat on his Electra Glide forced me to set in one spot. I'm hoping it's not going to be too tall on the Strom with my short legs!

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowride View Post
    Have you tried C&C motorcycle seats: http://www.ccseats.com/
    I have not but when I look at their web page it does not show that they make a custom heated seat for an 1800 Gold Wing. Perhaps I am just missing it.

Deb, what pads did you try on your seat if you don't mind me asking? I've got a sheepskin hide that I've considered cutting down to fit the "bucket" part of my seat and attaching it somehow under the bottom of the seat with Velcro. My cousin has an Airhawk pad that he would probably let me use. I tried it for a few minutes on his bike once, but I don't remember liking it, it seemed like I was very disconnected from the bike. Maybe it's just something you have to get used to.