PDA

View Full Version : SlickBoil

DRONE
02-10-2013, 10:41 PM
As I've gotten older, my guts have become more resistant to freeze-dried crapola and instant whatever. Mostly now, even when out camping, I want simple whole foods--meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, and, of course, coffee.

Most of what I eat can be called "skillet meals" which is just a mish-mash of stuff that I cook in a pan over my cookstove. But then there's the coffee. We already have a lengthy thread about coffee. I'm not gonna go there. But all coffee needs hot water. And that's what I want to talk about.

I just bought me a Cuissential SlickBoil. This thing is cool! Here's a pic borrowed from Amazon--

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81TzB0sAUhL._SL1000_.jpg

Have you seen this kettle? Wow! Works great and packs down small. Here's the link to the Amazon page.

Not affiliated blah blah. :)

Blues Traveler
02-10-2013, 11:04 PM
I have to admit, that is pretty damn :cool: I want one.

dkurfiss
02-11-2013, 09:36 AM
That is pretty neat. I would have to do some testing since it is possible my flame from wood or alky stove would exceed the stainless steel base.

LarryinSeattle
02-11-2013, 09:47 AM
That is a handy pot. Space is always a premium.

My jetboil comes with a cup and will boil a cup of water in 60 seconds. The gas bottle fits in the cup along with the french press parts.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61erNVmP0vL.jpg

G wizz
02-11-2013, 10:13 AM
That is pretty neat. I would have to do some testing since it is possible my flame from wood or alky stove would exceed the stainless steel base.

I don't think you'd want to set your flame up too high, or use it over an open camp fire ... :eek: ... although the upper part IS made from high heat silicone ... ;) the handle looks like it's made of plastic ... :(

Somone needs to do a camping trip review on one of these ... P^

dkurfiss
02-11-2013, 10:19 AM
I don't think you'd want to set your flame up too high, or use it over an open camp fire ... :eek: ... but the upper part is made from high heat silicone ... ;)

Somone needs to do a camping trip review on one of these ... P^

Yepper, I use silicone all the time but I noticed it says in the instructions not to let the flame get above the stainless. I tend to do what little cooking I do either open fire/Honey Stove or in on an alky stove that I purchased from someone on this forum :D

I also toss a pot of water on my fire in the evenings so I can make hot tea or hot chocolate.

But, if you want to buy me one, I will test it out :) I just bought a new fire pit for the back yard that could use a break in.

G wizz
02-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Sure thing, Deb ... ;) ... Send me a check for the correct amount and I'll hop right to it ... P^ ... :p

dkurfiss
02-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Sure thing, Deb ... ;) ... Send me a check for the correct amount and I'll hop right to it ... P^ ... :p

Always looking for money in one way or another :o

Ironheadziggy76
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Something else to add to the wish list! I've been looking to add a collapsible plate and bowl to my kit, now this will be the icing on the cake! P^

G wizz
02-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Always looking for money in one way or another :o

Oh ... I wasn't thinking of a commision ... Was offering to do the foot work for you ... P^ ... :)

mrclean28h
02-11-2013, 04:55 PM
As I've gotten older, my guts have become more resistant to freeze-dried crapola and instant whatever. Mostly now, even when out camping, I want simple whole foods--meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, and, of course, coffee.

Most of what I eat can be called "skillet meals" which is just a mish-mash of stuff that I cook in a pan over my cookstove. But then there's the coffee. We already have a lengthy thread about coffee. I'm not gonna go there. But all coffee needs hot water. And that's what I want to talk about.

I just bought me a Cuissential SlickBoil. This thing is cool! Here's a pic borrowed from Amazon--

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81TzB0sAUhL._SL1000_.jpg

Have you seen this kettle? Wow! Works great and packs down small. Here's the link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006BA7MM2/) to the Amazon page.

Not affiliated blah blah. :)
This is cool

Indianscout
02-11-2013, 05:55 PM
That is cool and may have to look into it abit myself. As far as the silicone goes, how much flame would it take to burn through? As a kid we used to make birch bark pots to heat water over the fire......ya, you read that right. The birch bark would only burn down to the water line as the water would prevent the rest from going up in flames. I think the weak link on this would be the spout and handle as they extend out directly above the flames. Waiting to hear more about this......

Ironheadziggy76
02-11-2013, 06:31 PM
That is cool and may have to look into it abit myself. As far as the silicone goes, how much flame would it take to burn through? As a kid we used to make birch bark pots to heat water over the fire......ya, you read that right. The birch bark would only burn down to the water line as the water would prevent the rest from going up in flames. I think the weak link on this would be the spout and handle as they extend out directly above the flames. Waiting to hear more about this......

I once had an old man bet me that you could indeed boil water in a paper cup. I still can't believe that old geezer took my lunch money! :p

apopj
02-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Dang it, everytime I think I have everything, one of ya'll come up with something new. Just ordered mine, with free shipping. Please, no more....lol

lytle1gw
02-11-2013, 08:33 PM

The instructions say to keep the fire low ao it won't go out past the bottom or there will be discoloring of the handle and silicone. at only 4 cups of water, Not enough for me.

Chromo
04-12-2013, 05:23 AM
YIKES, $40!

I'll stick with the hard items that don't fold up and just pack stuff inside them. All that other stuff needs room also anyway. So if I fill a pot with ziplock bags of instant potatoes, instant oatmeal, instant milk powder etc. etc.. then there is no wasted space when I carry a $1 pot which is packed full.

I think of it like a space saver spare tire.
If you pack the car so tight you actually need that saved space, then if you have a flat tire and need that tiny spare where the heck you going to put the full sized tire you take off the car?
And if your not going to pack the car so tight you need the extra space then why carry a useless sized tire to save that extra space?

LarryinSeattle
04-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Hey Chromo, glad to see you posting here too!