PDA

View Full Version : Ripening green tomatoes?

Ironheadziggy76
11-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Has anyone tried ripening green tomatoes? I've searched a little and found where you put them in a container or box with a banana, etc, but I was wondering if anyone on here has ever tried it. Last night I picked the last 10 gallons of green tomatoes that we had instead of covering them again. Looks like we'll have some green tomato relish if nothing else. :lol

BeemMeUp
11-01-2012, 12:57 PM
fried green tomatoes are always a treat P^

Macjohno
11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
I've had good luck putting them in a brown paper bag, storing on the counter.
But yeah, fried green tomatoes are pretty darn good too!P^

dkurfiss
11-01-2012, 02:30 PM
When I was a kid, we just pulled the plants up and hung them in our shed by the roots. They would slowly ripen and we would pick them off the vine as we needed. It would extend the growing "season" on them by a month or 6 weeks. But, fried green tomatoes are da bomb!

DanceswMtns
11-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Fried green tomatoes bacon and avocado sandwiches on wheat toast

bikergal
11-01-2012, 07:13 PM

Oh yummmmy...makes me hungry just thinking about that...

BeemMeUp
11-01-2012, 08:37 PM

Hmmm, never tried advocado with bacon. Going to have to give it a try.

aysrav
11-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Never tried 'em with bacon or avocado, but fried green tomatoes are the bomb.

lytle1gw
11-02-2012, 06:48 AM
Turning ours into chow-chow, enjoy all winteer that way.

Shamus
11-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Has anyone tried ripening green tomatoes? I've searched a little and found where you put them in a container or box with a banana, etc, but I was wondering if anyone on here has ever tried it. Last night I picked the last 10 gallons of green tomatoes that we had instead of covering them again. Looks like we'll have some green tomato relish if nothing else. :lol
We usually let them sit on a sunny window sill? I think an apple would do better than a banana, as apples give off rippening hormones I think... ;-))

troyboy1948
11-02-2012, 09:33 AM
The wife wraps them in newspaper and sets them in the utility room. Seems to work well. Try making a BLT out of fried green tomatos. It's pretty good.

Ironheadziggy76
11-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks everyone for the ideas for ripening and cooking! P^ I absolutely love fried green tomatoes, but I think LaJuana is about to get burned out on them. :lol I've got to try the avocado, that sounds very tasty! P^

anthony65
12-26-2012, 10:10 AM
I have always discovered that the best way to mature any veggie is to keep it on the screen. It will mature real quick. Perform a day or two and you have ripened tomatoes.

swoody126
12-26-2012, 02:53 PM
my late mother in law used to make a green tomato CHOW-CHOW

we put it on our ham hock n beans(pinto) for a treat

WHAT A TREAT!!!

i'm thinkin i remember onions & peppers being in it

you may trying to find a recipe, if your 'maters don't ripen

sw

moodygne
12-26-2012, 07:27 PM

Fried green tomatoes,I pick them when green just to fry. Sometime they get red before I get to them. I give them away.
God bless your heart.
Gary

Bluetick
02-21-2014, 08:13 PM
When I was a kid, we just pulled the plants up and hung them in our shed by the roots. They would slowly ripen and we would pick them off the vine as we needed. It would extend the growing "season" on them by a month or 6 weeks. But, fried green tomatoes are da bomb!

I grew up on a farm and this is the first time I heard of this. Have to give it a try...

jobe05
02-21-2014, 09:58 PM
I usually plant 6 to 8 tomato plants in my garden, then a couple of Roma tomato plants. No red Tomatoes ever make it into the house! They either get fried green, or the Roma's are eaten in the garden right off the vine! When the plants stop producing, I head to the farmers market to get green tomatoes, they usually run out around the first of the year here......... Love Fried Green tomatoes.

dimetraveler
02-24-2014, 11:38 PM
I always can them green in the fall just like a pickle,great eating.

dan1551
02-26-2014, 05:57 AM
We normally let them get ripe on the vine......As a matter of fact ALISA just picked some last week!

:Popcorn

Ironheadziggy76
02-26-2014, 09:28 AM
We normally let them get ripe on the vine......As a matter of fact ALISA just picked some last week!

:Popcorn

:well

dan1551
02-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Bahaha!