PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boil Zip

flruss
07-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Hello All
Got a question about the Jetboil fuel. Are they propritory or can you use other fuel. What about avalibilty when on the road. As a new jetboil user any do's or don'ts with this product. Might save me some agrivation Thanks in Advance.

Also thanks for all the food ideas some of them look like they woud rival some resturants I've eaten at.

RussP^

Nevada
07-09-2012, 12:45 AM
The fuel canister is not proprietary. I know of at least one other canister you can use. Basically, any canister of the correct fuel (I think it's butane) and threading will work.

RCLafnjack
07-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Not as available as Propane, I carry an extra larger can when I'm on a trip.
Best places to find it though are the larger sporting goods stores. Big5,BassPro. I have yet to find any at Walmart type stores.
I love my Jetboil though and just keep that extra tank with me.

Hello All
Got a question about the Jetboil fuel. Are they propritory or can you use other fuel. What about avalibilty when on the road. As a new jetboil user any do's or don'ts with this product. Might save me some agrivation Thanks in Advance.

Also thanks for all the food ideas some of them look like they woud rival some resturants I've eaten at.

RussP^

flruss
07-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks Nev & RC
Never used one before so thought Id throw it out there. See what came back from users.
RC glad to see you got back safe, I enjoied following you on yor ride. Thanks for posting up as your trip progressed.

Russ:tent4:

Ironheadziggy76
07-10-2012, 09:18 AM
The Jet Boil will work with most any of the screw on canisters, MSR, Coleman, etc, they just have to be the butane/propane mix. You can now get the Coleman brand butane/propane mix cans at most Wally Worlds here locally. I've noticed that they don't have them stocked near the bigger green propane bottles, so you have to search around a little.

Ripshod
07-10-2012, 02:43 PM
I've had my eye on the JetBoil since they first came out. At first, I thought they had a proprietary fuel canister so I was against it. Since I found out a while ago that I could use my 16oz Primus canisters, I've been taking a second look. Then I found out that with the pot adapter you can use any cookpot, not just theirs. Starting to look better and better.

Would probably end up with the Flash system if I pull the trigger on it. Larger capacity (by just 0.2 liter, but bigger), and available with the Java Kit with the pot adapter and coffee press. Morning coffee is my primary use for the stove and due to the design, it looks like the JetBoil is extremely fast and efficient at boiling water. Fast is good, but efficient is better. Those fuel canisters aren't the easiest things to find and they aren't exactly cheap either. Saving fuel is a good thing.

We also cook side dishes on the stove and in that regard, the JetBoil would probably be better than the Pocket Rocket we use now. The PR is a good little stove. It puts out a lot of heat and it heats the coffee water fast but it spits it all out in a pattern about the size of a quarter. Tends to burn your pasta in one spot in the middle of the pot. I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) that the JetBoil has a wider burning surface and distributes the heat more evenly. I know that their cookpots do a great job of distributing the heat for even cooking but I'd like to stay with the old MSR 1.1 liter Stowaway pot. It's smaller but not too small and it holds the grill's fire bowl perfectly.

If I get any new stove it'll use those same fuel canisters because I use them in the gas lantern as well and I do not want to carry two kinds of fuel. The JetBoil looks like an improvement over what I'm using now.

flruss
07-11-2012, 10:22 PM
thanks Ironhead and Ripshod
Appreciate the post up,will check WW and see what they got going on. It does look like a good product I like the size everything I got is too big for the bike.

Thanks again ya'll

RussP^

Ironheadziggy76
07-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Russ, here is a pic of what the canisters look like with the Coleman stove attached. The stove in the link is a great little stove as well if you are looking for a back up to have on hand. It's basic, and you will have to light it with something but it burns well and isn't very noisy as some can be.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Peak1-Micro-Butane-Stove/4722923?findingMethod=rr

Saddlebutt
07-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks Ironhead..I will be picking one up tomorrow at work..I have been looking also at a stove, and didnt want to spend alot this one is worth trying out on my up coming trip..Thanks..:tent4:

Ironheadziggy76
07-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks Ironhead..I will be picking one up tomorrow at work..I have been looking also at a stove, and didnt want to spend alot this one is worth trying out on my up coming trip..Thanks..:tent4:

Glad to help, I think you will be well pleased with this little stove, it's just a great basic little stove. Be sure and take some cooking pics for us. P^

flruss
07-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Hello IHZ
I stopped by Walmart earlier today but did not see anything like the link you posted up. Probably not every store carries them the camping section seems to have gotten smaller, did pick a nice spoon there. Also are you saying that is the canister that will fit the JB. Got my JB zip yesterday looks like a nice pc of equipment.

Russ

Ironheadziggy76
07-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Hello IHZ
I stopped by Walmart earlier today but did not see anything like the link you posted up. Probably not every store carries them the camping section seems to have gotten smaller, did pick a nice spoon there. Also are you saying that is the canister that will fit the JB. Got my JB zip yesterday looks like a nice pc of equipment.

Russ

Russ, the Coleman canisters will work on the JB. You are correct about the sporting goods sections, some Walmarts have limited selection like ours. I often check them out in larger cities to see what they have. We have one Wally World 50 miles from here that carries tons more gear than what we have. Their tent and sleeping bag selection is worlds different as well.

Ripshod
07-14-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't do WalMart. I buy my fuel at a local independent camp supply store and I recommend everyone do the same if you have one left.

Saddlebutt
07-14-2012, 09:43 AM
I found both the stove and the fuel at our little local walmart, it is not on the same counter as the regular camp stoves, they are located down the same aisle under the camp food. I had to ask the associate as I could not find it either. Stove 28.88 and and the fuel was 5.87..happy camp cooking..:tent4:

flruss
07-14-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm not a big fan of wallmart but do find myself there from time to time. Price is not everything, but retail stores here in Vegas most of them are new and you don't see many family owned stores selling camping gear.

Russ