PDA

View Full Version : small Pressure-Cooker ??

flailer
02-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Ah-Ha!!! this is where i should post my question

Because we are on the road, we have so many, many food options available to us. Thus, it seems to me, that it is the accoutrements (gear, hardware, tank-bags, trailers, stoves, coolers, etc) we choose that dictates how we eat....

So, that said, I am looking into new MotoCamp Gear.... Perhaps you guys know of, or can review:

item 1) backpacker sized Pressure-Cooker. Shredded pork in record time. for stews, burritos, add to chili or eggs or ... get this... a Pulled-pork sandwich!!!

item 2) a new backpacker style stove??
(while the Jetboil gets you your coffee 2 to 3 mins faster, at $100+ bucks it seems over-priced for what youre getting, to me) :eek:

item 3) best MC hydration pack??? (another MUST HAVE ITEM) I am on my third camelbak brand, and they have served me well, mainly for mtn-biking...

Lemme know what you guys think, know, or suspect. Currently i have no clues on the Pressure-Cooker and that make me very :(

SidecarMike
02-06-2012, 09:35 PM
1. If you want pulled pork, just find the nearest motorcycle rally. Seems like about all they serve anymore. Seriously, Try this one (http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=219988655&sellerid=24289548)
2. I have a Primus butane, an MSR XGK, and a Sterno. I like the MSR best, but the Primus would probably be the best choice if you are only going to have one.
3. Nothing out there holds up as well as a Camelbak.

flailer
02-06-2012, 10:03 PM
1. If you want pulled pork, just find the nearest motorcycle rally. Seems like about all they serve anymore. Seriously, Try this one (http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=219988655&sellerid=24289548)

Hey, thanks SideCar!!! That'll work good in the RV. Not so sure about MC camping tho...... Size matters :p lol

2. I have a Primus butane, an MSR XGK, and a Sterno. I like the MSR best, but the Primus would probably be the best choice if you are only going to have one.
3. Nothing out there holds up as well as a Camelbak.

Yea, i figgered i'd prolly do another camelbak, but wanted MC confirmation. Thanks P^P^P^

flailer
02-06-2012, 10:05 PM
oh lookie: a 1.5 liter Pressure cooker, on SideCar's site:

http://www.buy.com/prod/new-hawkins-1-5-liter-classic-aluminum-pressure-cooker/219988654.html

SidecarMike
02-06-2012, 10:23 PM
How handy are you? My HeinyPot Pressure Cooker/Steamer - YouTube

One of the comments under it suggested just putting a rock on top of your regular cook pot?

flailer
02-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Steamers are the only way to go, if you like your veggies cooked. i happen to like my veggies raw. Not much of a point in a steamer, for me.

On the penny-stove front, i have almost zero hands-on experience. but i'm starting to learn from the Master himself: Tetkoba Linkie (http://www.youtube.com/user/tetkoba/videos)

IndyDon
02-07-2012, 04:53 AM
I have the Primus and like it. Hawkins makes a 1.5 Liter size also. shipping weight 3 lbs. Amazon has all of their products.

Ironheadziggy76
02-07-2012, 06:01 AM
As far as stoves go, I've been very pleased with my Primus propane/butane stove. I picked up a Coleman that our local Wally World had on clearance and it's been a good stove as well. The simmer control of the Coleman isn't quite as good as the Primus, but it's close, and it doesn't have self ignition. I picked up another Primus at a flea market a couple of years ago that I haven't used other than to hook it up and light it, but it seems to have as much control as my other Primus.

It's really hard to go wrong with any of the canister stoves, unless you are somewhere in the middle of nowhere where you can't get fuel. You can usually get them for less than half the price of the Jetboil, but the Jetboil is a great system!

ImRubicon
02-07-2012, 08:32 AM
I have a coleman one burner multi fuel I got off ebay for 20 bucks.
any old pot or pan that the wife no longer wants in kitchen or she wont notice is gone.
It fits in a old coffee cantainer and will hold enough fuel for a couple days worth of meals.
Easy no fuss ,didnt cost enough to cry if stolen. Im not handy and Im lazy so no making a stove out of a nail and popcan for me .
Just plain works but is old idea but works

flailer
02-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Believe it or not, i'm actually consider an alcohol stove. i mean one of those bottom of the line: empty tea-light cup style.

Someone here, on this site, posted a link to backpackerchef dot com, and i saw what he is using for a stove.... YES, one alcohol and one CANDLES stove :confused::confused::confused:
http://www.backpackingchef.com/backpacking-stoves.html

i'll have to try it at home, and in windy conditions, for a few meals first.

G wizz
02-07-2012, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=flailer;59167]Believe it or not, i'm actually considering an alcohol stove.
QUOTE]

Boy, are you in luck ... check out my "Winter Stove project" thread ...
I'll make ya a deal on a great little alcohol stove ... P^

G

flailer
02-07-2012, 05:25 PM
p.s. i have VERY STRONG doubts that a tea candle stove would work for pressure cooker pan, right?

For pressure cooker usage i'm guessing that the jetboil , or something MORE powerful , would be the way to go?? :confused::confused:

G wizz
02-07-2012, 05:39 PM
p.s. i have VERY STRONG doubts that a tea candle stove would work for pressure cooker pan, right?

For pressure cooker usage i'm guessing that the jetboil , or something MORE powerful , would be the way to go?? :confused::confused:

Just for the record ... an alcohol fired stove is way different than a tea candle thingie ...
Many alcohol stoves will put out a suprising amount of heat ...
Don't knows if you could pressure cook with one ... never tried it ...

kdf9511
02-07-2012, 05:53 PM
I would think you could pressure cook with something like a Trangia but I don't know how well as you might run out of fuel before your done cooking.

Now you've got me curious and I might just have to dig out my pressure cooker and try it.

flailer
02-07-2012, 06:01 PM
I would think you could pressure cook with something like a Trangia but I don't know how well as you might run out of fuel before your done cooking.

Now you've got me curious and I might just have to dig out my pressure cooker and try it.

would this pressure cooker you speak of be a candidate for motocamping (small & pack-able) ???

kdf9511
02-07-2012, 06:28 PM
would this pressure cooker you speak of be a candidate for motocamping (small & pack-able) ???

Unfortunatly not, it's old and big. It came from my Grandma's house when she had to go into the rest home last year. It's about 3 days older than dirt but still works like a charm.

I've got a feeling now that I will be looking for a small and packable one at the thrift stores now if this works.

GroundHog
02-07-2012, 06:50 PM
GSI make two different sizes..

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/search/results/49be55caec0f32beff6c78ab20758261/

flailer
02-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Hey, that looks nice.
Look more packable (if that's a word) even though it is larger volume than the one posted earlier in this thread.

Whosoever
02-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Well all I can say...is that I am a miminalist camper. I take most of what I need...but never food. I can pick that up along the way....or even hit the local fare in the neighboring community. But, I would consider just setting up "next to your campsite" as you prepare all the comforts of home meals. I might even go so far as to say..........yeaaaaaah, I'll do the dishes! :tent3:

GroundHog
02-07-2012, 07:04 PM
To get around the "running out of fuel" problem you could always get you a "Georgia Heat" from Smokeeater....he's running a Valentine's special..

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/smokeeater908-georgia-heat-stove/