PDA

View Full Version : Winter stove project ...

G wizz
02-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Saw a cute little alcohol stove on another forum that a guy was making and selling. Liked the concept, but didn't like his idea of fastening them together with pop rivits ...
Since I have plenty of time on my hands this time of the year, I thought I'd try making a better version of his stove.
I thought I could build one better by forming a rolled edge on the top to keep the parts together.

Here is the results ...

Now I need to trundle on down to Wally-World for a bottle of 'HEET' to try it out with ...

G wizz

Ironheadziggy76
02-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Looks good G. Keep us updated! P^

rathackman
02-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Nice...let's see how it works...
Brian

Aldawg
02-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Great job! But I gotta ask, how'd ya roll that nice edge?

Indianscout
02-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Great looking stove George. Quality work, just like the rest of the things you make. P^

G wizz
02-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Nice...let's see how it works...
Brian

Let me tell ya, this little puppy rocks ... brought two cups of water in my tea kettle to full boil in just five minutes.
Burns for a fuzz over ten minutes on just a taste more than a ounce of HEET.
I think I'm on to something here ...
If these generate any interest, perhaps I might be enticed to make a few more ...

I have sent a proto type out to my 'field tester' for an unbiased evaluation ...
either he or I will post the results ... Stay tuned ...

G

G wizz
02-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Great job! But I gotta ask, how'd ya roll that nice edge?

By hand ... Most everything I fab is done by hand.

G

kdf9511
02-01-2012, 02:14 PM
If these generate any interest, perhaps I might be enticed to make a few more ...
G

I defanatly would be intrested. I tried making a couple this weekend but they didn't work too well. One leaked and I need to either find my hobby drill set or go pickup another one as my jets were way to large.

Aldawg
02-01-2012, 03:40 PM
I make a pretty decent one out of Febreeze cans, as they are made out of heavier aluminum. I will post pics when I make more. I think I already gave my last one away. But I'm really liking your rolled edge! Makes me JELLY!:eek:

G wizz
02-01-2012, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=Aldawg;58710]I make a pretty decent one out of Febreeze cans, as they are made out of heavier aluminum. QUOTE]

The stoves I make are also from thicker aluminum than your run of the mill pop & beer cans ... about three times thicker, I'd say ... :)
Don't think you'd crush it even if you steped on it.

G

BeemMeUp
02-01-2012, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=Aldawg;58710]I make a pretty decent one out of Febreeze cans, as they are made out of heavier aluminum. QUOTE]

The stoves I made are also from thicker aluminum than your run of the mill pop & beer cans ... about twice as thick, I'd say ... :)

G

Is that what is called a low pressure side burner? I have messed with alcohol stoves for years on sailboats. One of the easiest to use are the non-pressure type that basically are just a wick with a slide over them to adjust the flame. The full pressure pump types are sentimental and a PITA to use and keep going.

I have made little stoves like you made but not nearly as professional looking. Mine have all been "throw away". Just used them till they got crushed too much to use and made another. Now I use either my Coleman single burner or MSR stoves. Both will run on pump gas or Coleman Fuel. The MSR will basically run on anything that is liquid and burns with an orfice change. But they lack the simplicity of the alcohol stoves.

G wizz
02-01-2012, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=BeemMeUp;58715]
Is that what is called a low pressure side burner? QUOTE]

I'm guessing that's what you'd call them. They are only "pressurized" from the heat developed from the burning alcohol.
I'm not a stove guru, I'm sure others that are, will chime in.
I'm just enjoy working with my hands, and needed something to occupy my time.

G

kdf9511
02-01-2012, 07:00 PM
I like that design it looks like it would be great for heating water for coffee and cleanup. I haven't used a sideburner like that yet.

lytle1gw
02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Got me to thinking, maybe I need to clean my vietnam stove up. Always good for using to heat up water or anything else will burn gas or about anything.

Dusty Boots
02-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Ya .... that's a side burner, more suited to larger pots/frying pans because of how they blossom out the sides.'

Nice job on that one, George! P^

I prefer a pressurized 'penny' stove for use with my pot set up, which is a narrower affair.
It would bring 2 1/2 cups of water to boil in 6 minutes or less, but you needed a pot stand and a priming pan, besides the wind shield.
I used to teach a pop can stove making seminar at an outdoor store in Kelowna, when I lived out there.

Can't beat the simplicity and the absolute silence of a alcohol burner P^

one of my very first creations, 10 years ago

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4065/4583302879_6553a8a5d0_z.jpg

an updated version in use in the field ....

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4058/4583311629_337d5bff16_o.jpg

http://www.clubtread.com/forumPix/43000/43540.jpg

Although I have a couple of different canister stoves and just my Coleman duel fuel 442, I have a bunch of different types of alcohol burners kicking around in my 'stove box', that will still use on occasion for boiling up a cup of Tea, while out on a hike/day trip

Oh .... BTW ... don't get too 'technical' about the holes. All my jets were made using a simple 'push pin'. ;)

VFR
02-01-2012, 10:10 PM
The Steverstove on ADV is riveted. It is a copy of the White Box stove that has a rolled edge on the top. Both are good stoves.

Indianscout
02-02-2012, 12:02 AM
George, will start looking for your type of pop cans at work. Now that I think about it I see a few of them every day, will grab them for you if you like.

BeemMeUp
02-02-2012, 02:13 AM
Now you all have me wanting to make a "wood-gas" stove. I'm going to gather up the cans I need (3 different sizes) and make one. It's been a few years but I helped my boy scouts make them years ago. They work quiet well just using twings and broken branches. I will even take some pictures as I go to show ya all how to do it. The beauty of them is no nasty smelling heat or alcohol to carry with you.

DILLIGAF61
02-02-2012, 03:00 AM
hey george check this link out templates and all kinds of info

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

quadancer
02-02-2012, 07:34 AM
That's where I learned some of my stuff at; good link. I still have my same original 3 penny stoves in the same shape as new - keep them in the cans I use for windscreens, as well as the alcohol and a few other sundries.
Oh, BTW, DON'T use a penny anymore...it will melt down into a useless pile of nasty slag. They ain't copper these days...:mad:...I use ball bearings over the fill hole, so I can actually reload one hot, as the bearing easily rolls away from the hole. Well, not TOO hot; we'll say very warm. (below autoignition temps)
Next trip I'm taking a little grain to test in the tent as a heater. Sure can't use denatured in there!

ImRubicon
02-02-2012, 09:14 AM
LOL I was just thinking of using heet for my swedish Tanigra stove but we dont see that stuff down here too often

Dusty Boots
02-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Fondue fuel will work if you can't find Heet, or denatured Alcohol

Aldawg
02-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Yup, denatured alcohol is about $16 a gallon @ Home Depot. It's the best deal I could find. If someone finds a better deal, please post.

quadancer
02-02-2012, 09:28 PM
$14 and change at Lowe's.
Everclear, but it's gonna cost ya!

ImRubicon
02-03-2012, 11:14 PM
For a gallon at a time its a bit steep for me as I really perfer my coleman one burner stove .
Not as small to pack and not nearly as cool but it works everytime on fule that is half the cost and found almost everywhere as it uses unleaded also .
Have siphon Hose will cook.
But some of these designs they have posted look like a lot of fun

quadancer
02-04-2012, 09:10 AM
My riding bud has a gasoline stove, but we just use it for coffee and heating water. I think he tasted vapors in the food once and quit cooking with it. The alcohol units require a lot of refilling, but are fun to use. Having multiple units allows for steady cooking.

Mr. Guy
02-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi George,

Could you show us how you do that really nice roll by hand? I'm sure there's lot's here who would like to pick up a great skill like that.

Thanks.

Moose
02-04-2012, 10:08 AM
great looking stove looks very professional I've been researching stoves myself but haven't attempted any yet

G wizz
02-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Hi George,

Could you show us how you do that really nice roll by hand? I'm sure there's lot's here who would like to pick up a great skill like that.

Thanks.

Gee Guy ... That would be self defeating if I were to try selling a few of my stoves here, wouldn't you say?
If you simply must know, I wack it with a stick ...

G

Macedo
02-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Gee Guy ... That would be self defeating if I were to try selling a few of my stoves here, wouldn't you say?

G

G Wizz,

Put me down on the "Interested List" The only wacking with a stick I'm going to do is to keep someone or something off of me:eek:!

I have pay with Paypal

Festus
02-04-2012, 01:44 PM

G

I will buy one George. I can make anything out of wood or leather but you have the edge on metalworking. Just let me know how and when to pay.

Mark

G wizz
02-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks guys for your interest in my stoves.
I'd be glad to make some of these stoves up for the forum members, but first please allow me to refine my skills a little, along with experiment with differnt size burner holes for an optimum flame.
I have one stove out now for an unbiased evaluation as we speak.

I'll post here when I have some for sale ... P^

G

Mr. Guy
02-04-2012, 04:14 PM

G

I was thinking a skill like that would be useful for a lot of different projects, never meant to cut into your stove business.

It's skills like that, that are being lost here in the US. Everyone seems to be quick to buy, so few want to learn how to make it themselves.

Take care, Guy

G wizz
02-04-2012, 05:08 PM
I was thinking a skill like that would be useful for a lot of different projects, never meant to cut into your stove business.

It's skills like that, that are being lost here in the US. Everyone seems to be quick to buy, so few want to learn how to make it themselves.

Take care, Guy

I still wack 'em with a stick ... That's my story, and I'm stickin to it ... :p

G

Mr. Guy
02-04-2012, 05:45 PM
HaHa,

Well I guess I'll try to find an appropriate stick and see if I can learn how to whack with it. P^

Macedo
02-04-2012, 06:15 PM
G Wizz,

Put me down on the "Interested List" The only wacking with a stick I'm going to do is to keep someone or something off of me:eek:!

I have pay with Paypal

G Wizz,
Upgrade me from the "Interest List" to the "Make One For Me" list, looks like you have a budding vendor business about to birth itselfP^

flailer
02-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Hmmmmm... Interesting :cool:

Moose
02-12-2012, 11:29 AM
ok stupid question from a newbie here can you grill food over alcohol like you can propane?

I'm interested in one of these stoves myself, I'm thinking i could place a couple in one of those little hibachi grills and have a 2 burner stove and adjust the heat by moving the grills up and down, and still have the versatility to use wood or charcoal when needed, any thoughts on that idea?

G wizz
02-12-2012, 11:34 AM
ok stupid question from a newbie here can you grill food over alcohol like you can propane?
I'm thinking i could place a couple in one of those little hibachi grills and have a 2 burner stove and adjust the heat by moving the grills up and down, and still have the versatility to use wood or charcoal when needed, any thoughts on that idea?

Don't think I'd wanta try grillin over an alcohol stove ... They put out pretty high heat .. Think whatever you were trying to roast would be toast ... :eek:

Dusty Boots
02-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Most Alcohol burners (except for those that have an included simmer ring like the Esbit spirit burner (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JWFbMk80L.jpg), or the Trangia stoves (http://www.ultimate-ultralight-backpacking.com/ultralight-trangia-alcohol-stove.html)) burn wide open, which is why they are used mainly for bringing water to a boil.
Now, I have seen a few homemade alcohol stoves that the maker incorporated a simmering ring in the design, but they are rather 'fussy' to use.

They are great for boiling water though, while your other 'cooker' is simmering up a nice meal! P^

quadancer
02-12-2012, 05:39 PM
They can be simmered down - this is my 4-hole with a simmer top. I don't like that stove though, because with only 4 spread out holes, it doesn't lend itself to keeping itself lit well.
http://inlinethumb28.webshots.com/22939/2703401000106878013S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2703401000106878013ZuopRl)
-same stove in action:
http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/43003/2448828270106878013S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2448828270106878013DsNkOU)
I should make another with more holes but smaller - the idea was to get a low flame without using a full tilt of fuel so it would last longer. This didn't, but with the top on, it does simmer.

Moose
02-12-2012, 05:46 PM
ok I get it i'm still gonna need an adjustable stove thanks alot you guys managed to awnser more questions than I asked

Dusty Boots
02-12-2012, 06:21 PM
That's a different approach ... more like a diffuser. P^
You may want to add some more holes, lower down in the pot stand to help it 'breathe' better with that on.
Too bad it doesn't lower your fuel consumption and lengthen your burn time like an attached simmer ring.

quadancer
02-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Well, to be clear, I've found that the alcohol (penny stove versions) are not fuel controlled like most stoves, but air controlled. Putting restrictions on the air supply cuts the consumption and heat, but I can't get more than a 5 minute burn on one charge, regardless.
Another characteristic I found is that if one is "starving" for air, the flames will try to burn wherever the air is coming in at. I corrected this on some of my windstands by allowing more air in at the top than at the bottom:
http://inlinethumb21.webshots.com/37908/2126462600106878013S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2126462600106878013QAquiS)
http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/50418/2101858920106878013S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2101858920106878013zpaMGt)

The last thing I was working on before I got busy with a lot of camping was simmer problems. Seems that if I cut the design down too much, there isn't enough heat for the alcohol to work like it has to (self heating).

Gearbox
04-20-2013, 10:18 PM
I did a simmer ring out of a libbys meat can on a penny stove and it doubles the burn time and keeps water at 160 . have only shop tested as we still have snow on the ground . hope to test as soon as snow melts . 4 th of July ??
Gearbox

satan
04-24-2013, 04:07 PM
;) Very nice -- lemme know when you need some objective "high altitude" testing P^

dan1551
04-24-2013, 07:03 PM
The "wack it with a stick" works Tried it here myself .P^

G wizz
04-24-2013, 08:28 PM
The "wack it with a stick" works Tried it here myself .P^

And to think ... No one here believed me ... :rolleyes:

Ironheadziggy76
04-26-2013, 11:34 AM
And to think ... No one here believed me ... :rolleyes:

I believed ya, a good whack with a piece of oak will fix most anything! P^

snowclem