PDA

View Full Version : Coffee.......can someone explain

mark444
01-21-2010, 12:18 PM
OK, newbie here. I usually only drink coffee at work, not at home, but think I would enjoy brewing some while camping in the future. What are the different "types" fo coffee makers that people use while bike camping. I have heard of a "coffee press" but have no idea what that is??? I was brought up around the perkcolating type of coffee makers........sorta like what we use at work (Mr. Coffee or equal). I would be using a coleman propane single burner stove for weekend camping, and probably a coleman 533 dual-fuel version for a future long-distance ride (hopefully, to Alaska and back someday). I don't care for the thought of dumping coffee crystals in a cup of hot water......want the "real" stuff.
thanks
mark444

narcop482
01-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Welcome............. I use the X-Press stainless steel coffee press sold through REI and Campmour. It's great. Lightweight and "stupid" easy to use. Just add water, boil water, put in your fresh ground (medium to coarse) coffee grinds and wait 4 minutes. After the 4 minutes, push the plunger down slowly pushing all the grinds to the bottom. Perfect cup of coffee every time. P^P^

bigTom
01-21-2010, 01:52 PM
I've got a 30 year old Comet brand stove top percolator. It's perked a ton of coffee on a single burner stove.

Keith (Blues Traveler) and Bob (AzDesertRider) (and others I'm sure) are using a Stove Top Espresso Maker that really works. Keith has the 'big' one, it makes about 3 cups of really strong coffee, quick.

mark444
01-21-2010, 02:00 PM
We use the Maxwellhouse coffee singles. They're fool proof, and make a decent cup of coffee.

G wizz

Hey G..........are the "singles" placed into a perculator type pot (with a tray in the top for the coffee grinds)?? (see, I told you I was new at this.........:eek:)

MATT JH
01-21-2010, 02:37 PM
I was doing cowboy coffee. Boil your grounds and water a couple minutes, dropping a little cold water in, to sink the grounds to he bottom and enjoy. Now I use Starbucks instant. Not bad.

TXST_Rider
01-21-2010, 05:44 PM
I've been carrying a small percolator - works over a fire (but blackens the pot) or over a stove heat source. I use a coarse grind and it works well.

Jim (narcop482) - how do you keep the grounds out of the coffee with a press? I've tried a coffee press at home a number of times but was never successful at keeping them out - and I really really dislike grounds in my coffee...

Ozarkcowboy
01-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Folgers singles are what I use.Pack well,keep well and any x-tra hot H2O can be used for instant oatmeal,soups/dehydrated meals or even for clean-up.

denny
01-21-2010, 11:44 PM
I like strong Coffee, but Caffeine makes me crazy. So even at home I have to make mine separate from everyone else. I use a single cup brewer something like this, campers version. This one is on my list of gear wanted. It folds up to a 1" thick disc.

http://media.rei.com/media/vv/a11f8db8-e5f2-4803-8484-f7c7713868d1.jpg

http://www.rei.com/product/798277

Rich Johnston
01-22-2010, 06:35 AM
I've found that a coffee press is super easy and makes the best coffee. Here's what I'm using this coming season.
http://www.rei.com/product/784620

jkane13
01-22-2010, 09:03 AM
I don;'t drink coffee, but my wife can't function without it. I get up a couple hours before her most days and make coffee for when she does wake up. Form many years, we had a peculator type and I'd put it over the fire. Worked just fine.

A couple years ago, she got a "french press". It is a clear lexan looking thing with a plunger that pushes down from the top. I just heat the water in any container, I use the old peculator, and pour it in the press. Then put the coffee on top. She pre-measures it for me in baggies because I have no idea what I am doing! Let it sit for a few minutes and the grounds start to sink. Then when she is up, she presses the plunger down and pours the coffee straight down her thought. Just kidding, she puts it in a camp cup and adds a little cold water so she can drink it faster though!

For me, if I am in the mood, which is seldom, I will have a store bought Iced Coffee thing in the cooler and drink one of those. Easy and quick. Plus cold, which is the way I prefer my drinks.

George
01-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Here's one I've done as a trial (http://www.ehow.com/how_2125371_make-emergency-coffee-maker.html), there's always an empty Gatorade bottle laying around (if no one has used it as a pee bottle the night before! :eek: :)

I plan to carry the "makings" this season for more formal gatherings. I use Folgers instant for a single cup when I'm camping alone and/or some of the single serves if I'm not out. Always a jar of instant in the kit.

DILLIGAF61
01-23-2010, 11:04 PM
OK, newbie here. I usually only drink coffee at work, not at home, but think I would enjoy brewing some while camping in the future. What are the different "types" fo coffee makers that people use while bike camping. I have heard of a "coffee press" but have no idea what that is??? I was brought up around the perkcolating type of coffee makers........sorta like what we use at work (Mr. Coffee or equal). I would be using a coleman propane single burner stove for weekend camping, and probably a coleman 533 dual-fuel version for a future long-distance ride (hopefully, to Alaska and back someday). I don't care for the thought of dumping coffee crystals in a cup of hot water......want the "real" stuff.
thanks
mark444

OK I take my morning dosage of caffeine very very seriously I have a cabella's 6 cup percolator as my 1st line of defense however percolating coffee is the worst thing to do to your beans my next weapon against sunrise is a french press arguably the best way to treat your beans and remember fresh ground is best here's a few links to great coffee

http://www.rei.com/product/784116

XK-517720 <--cabellas item no.

http://www.koacoffee.com/index.html

ps. all links are items I have and use

ImRubicon
01-24-2010, 09:37 AM
I just got back from the Corpus area and was in a hotel three days . I asked the cleaning person for a few extra packets of coffee and she gave me 4 of them
They are a small pot serving in a mesh bag , Boile water and add them to it ,wait a few min fish the bag out and I have a couple of cups of hot coffee and its not bad,

George
01-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I just got back from the Corpus area and was in a hotel three days . I asked the cleaning person for a few extra packets of coffee and she gave me 4 of them
They are a small pot serving in a mesh bag , Boile water and add them to it ,wait a few min fish the bag out and I have a couple of cups of hot coffee and its not bad,

I've used those too, Rubicon. Picked up several at WeSTOC last summer. I dump one per quart of water and set to boil. Coffee in a few minutes. All out now but I'll pick up more. Wonder if anyone sells'em retail? Never seen'em at the store, only the indiviudals.

bigTom
01-25-2010, 05:55 AM
George, I think your local Smart N Final might have them. I remember seeing them at some point in my career..

Edit: I have used a modified drip system as described above, when my old stove took it's final dump. Not the one George was there to photograph, the LAST one. I 'warmed up' water on a small morning fire and dumped it carefully through the grounds strainer in my percolater. Twice. I used my thermos for the transfer unit.

George
01-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Todd (Mean ST) has an old aluminum pot that works just as my "emergency pot". Made that way, it's a family heirloom. We used it at the January ride. Kinda heavy and cumbersome for camping but Todd brings it all in the back of his Avalanche. :D

bvail
08-05-2010, 10:59 AM
One word: JetBoil (or is that two words). Stove/mug/french press/butane bottle all stowed in mug. Works GREAT!

tkhattabaugh
08-08-2010, 09:28 AM
I was doing cowboy coffee. Boil your grounds and water a couple minutes, dropping a little cold water in, to sink the grounds to he bottom and enjoy. Now I use Starbucks instant. Not bad.

Ditto on the Starbucks Via instant coffee. Even received the Editor's Choice award from Backpacker magazine. I used my Jetboil for a few years, but after tasting the Starbucks I switched.

SCoffman1
08-08-2010, 03:01 PM
The Jetboil System has a french press option that I use. You boil the water, put in the coffee grounds and let it sit for a few minutes. Then you press the coffee grounds to the bottom with the french press and pour off the coffee. It makes a really good cup of coffee. Alternatively, carry some of the Folgers coffee bags and make your coffee with those.
Either way, the Jetboil is a nice option and packs a small footprint.

bvail
08-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Since the JetBoil pot is an insulated mug, I just push the French press thingie down and sip through the lid. Stays a bit warmer that way...

I tried boiling water in a pot to heat canned food like chili or Dinty Moore stew, but uses way to much butane to be effective. Instead I use the Coleman single burner and an old coffee can for a boiler with the can-o-chili heating up in the boiling water. The JetBoil does work great for just boiling water for freeze dried foods. Boil the water, pour water in bag and have a brew while the meal is rehydrating.

SidecarMike
08-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I just picked up a used one of these off of Craigslist for $10;
It was the hit of the campground. Makes great coffee. I only wish they offered a metal carafe instead of the glass one. Then you could reheat it if necessary. As it is, they tell you to turn it off when it stops brewing.
The instructions say the carafes are the same as Mr Coffee ones, so I'm sure I'll find one somewhere.
http://media.rei.com/media/748741.jpg

nortonkicker
08-09-2010, 09:27 AM
I constantly have people ask me what is the best for making coffee. If you pack a large stove and cookpot set, then you have a lot of choices. Perculators, drip pots, coffee presses, etc. GSI Outdoors has a good variety of compact coffee makers. I like my (small) "5" diameter x 3/8" thick drip filter that clips onto any mug. Put your coffee in the permanent filter, clip it on your mug, and pour hot water in it. To use these products you must have a stove and a pot to heat the water in. If you currently have no stove, the Jetboil with Java Press is as good as it gets. A stove, pot, fuel cannister, and coffee press that all pack up in a 6" diameter x 9" high package. We have sold over 100 Jetboils in the past year with NO complaints whatsoever. They do the job in a small package and they work.

bvail
08-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I just picked up a used one of these off of Craigslist for $10;
It was the hit of the campground. Makes great coffee. I only wish they offered a metal carafe instead of the glass one. Then you could reheat it if necessary. As it is, they tell you to turn it off when it stops brewing.
The instructions say the carafes are the same as Mr Coffee ones, so I'm sure I'll find one somewhere.
http://media.rei.com/media/748741.jpg

Pour your coffee in a Sierra cup and enjoy. Iffn it gets cold you can heat the cup over the stove.

SidecarMike
08-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Pour your coffee in a Sierra cup and enjoy. Iffn it gets cold you can heat the cup over the stove.
I have my own version.

http://www.olive-drab.com/images/canteen_cup_03_700.jpg

24 ounces. Last weekend it served to hold my coffee in the morning, Home made chicken soup at noon, and various adult cold and frosty beverages most of the night. :D
I was thinking of the metal carafe for the benefit of other people who were drinking it out of plastic mugs and styrofoam cups.

Tumbleweeds
08-13-2010, 11:22 AM
The kids bought me a couple of stainless wine glasses from REI, for my birthday.Won't tip over easy, light weight,doubles as a coffee cup.$9.99 ea very cool.:java1:

garnetandblack81
08-19-2010, 04:26 AM
I recently bought one of these (https://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+007&Cat=) for home use. I bought it at a Bi-Lo. It has its own small filters. Very simple and pretty cheap.
not really necessary, but here's a video demo.

jabo1945
09-10-2010, 10:58 AM
This is one thread that just keeps on giving as time goes on.

One method I have used over the years and a very KISS way of having decent coffee on lightly packed camping trips.

If on a camping trip that requires packing light and compact, I have made my usual good coffee at home and froze it in plastic bottles, or usually plastic one quart mayonnaise jars. The frozen jars of coffee also suffices as small ice blocks,, along with the usual necessary crushed ice,, in my cooler to help keep other items cold/cool for a day or so before melting. If the bottled coffee does melt before needing it it just needs to be kept cool to retain it's quality.

Try freezing a sample and doing a test run at home and freezing for a few days and giving it a taste test.
Take it out of the freezer and heat it up and if it doesn't pass the taste test at home, keep on doing it your usual way on trips.

On a short two or three day trip, depending on how much coffee will be needed, you can leave coffee pots, percolators, presses, etc at home to save even more space and lighter packing.

To save space on a light packed mountain bike camping trips, along with frozen coffee, I have also frozen wine in plastic bottles for the same KISS concept of making one item serve multi purposes. Frozen bottles of water (aka large ice cubes) also suffices as drinking water later on. The usual crushed ice will still need to be bought from time to time but maybe not as much.

kayakinbiker
09-11-2010, 11:17 AM
I like strong Coffee, but Caffeine makes me crazy. So even at home I have to make mine separate from everyone else. I use a single cup brewer something like this, campers version. This one is on my list of gear wanted. It folds up to a 1" thick disc.

I like that 1! I use a plastic thing similar to that idea and use regular dark roast coffe but i woul dlike to get something like that as it's more compact! Where to buy Denny?...

Yamifj1200
09-11-2010, 11:24 AM
I picked up one a year or so ago,
Amazon.com: GSI Outdoors 79480 Collapsible Java Drip Coffee Maker: Sports &amp; Outdoors

Makes great coffee and packs very small, I recomend it....

Eric M

denny
09-11-2010, 11:26 AM
It's only 12.95 at REI.

Peacekeeper
09-11-2010, 01:19 PM
I use an old stainless steel percolator that I have had 20 years, works great over a stove or fire.

ImRubicon
09-11-2010, 10:08 PM
I use an old stainless steel percolator that I have had 20 years, works great over a stove or fire.

Those always seem to make good coffee P^

Tango4N
09-14-2010, 05:40 PM
I recently began using a Personal Java Press, you get 2 cups out of it, and it's really good coffee. My only real beef with it is that it is a PITA to clean the grounds out afterwards.

I might look at the Java Drip, though it's a bit bigger. You use a filter in a "funnel" and it drips into the pot. It is nice to make a pot for a couple people though I often ride alone. Then you just need to pitch the filter with grounds in it, much easier.

Anyone have issues with this (cleaning the press) or am I just a lazy bugger??

I do think press coffee tastes a lot better then drip however....

DILLIGAF61
09-14-2010, 06:11 PM
this is the one i have works good too http://www.rei.com/product/784620
question are you using a fine or coarse ground coffee? coarse works better in a french press

my favorite way to make camp coffee is in my cabellas 4 cup stainless steel perculator

:java1:

Ironheadziggy76
09-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Okay, we have talked about how to fix it, now tell me what brands of coffee y'all are using. I will probably have to grind mine at home as all the grinders I've seen, only one has a setting for coarse and that was at Sam's Club. I don't know if I want to buy THAT much coffee at one time, I'll need Juan's burro to get it to the truck! P^

SidecarMike
09-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Ours is a Mr. Coffee from Walmart. $19.95. It has settings for fine, Medium, and Coarse.
Although I really like Berres Brothers dark roast, we usually buy our second favorite, 8 o'clock brand.

kayakinbiker
09-15-2010, 10:08 AM
I recently began using a Personal Java Press, you get 2 cups out of it, and it's really good coffee. My only real beef with it is that it is a PITA to clean the grounds out afterwards.

I might look at the Java Drip, though it's a bit bigger. You use a filter in a "funnel" and it drips into the pot. It is nice to make a pot for a couple people though I often ride alone. Then you just need to pitch the filter with grounds in it, much easier.

Anyone have issues with this (cleaning the press) or am I just a lazy bugger??

I do think press coffee tastes a lot better then drip however....

I use a plastic drip thingie and would love pressed coffee but those are larger than i like to carry..i am going to get that thinge that compresses into its' own canister to make even mor eroom in my bag as a matter of fact..as long as i can get to a restaurant and have a real coffee down the road, i am okay with this..and yep, those grounds can be a messy cleanup!

BTW another Canuckian! WOOHOO!!We WILL take over this forum! HAHA!!..........

kayakinbiker
09-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Okay, we have talked about how to fix it, now tell me what brands of coffee y'all are using. I will probably have to grind mine at home as all the grinders I've seen, only one has a setting for coarse and that was at Sam's Club. I don't know if I want to buy THAT much coffee at one time, I'll need Juan's burro to get it to the truck! P^

I love dark roast coffee!

DILLIGAF61
09-15-2010, 02:22 PM
http://www.coffeesofhawaii.com/

Clamper
09-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Hawaiian Coffee. I have shopped here and ordered from them also. Good Stuff

http://www.sirwilfreds.com/

denny
09-16-2010, 12:28 AM
I use decaf espresso roast ground for Turkish.

That fine of a grind does not work so good in a French press, so that's why I use the drip method.
I just love the taste of a REALLY strong cup of coffee, especially when I am moto camping.

greybeard
09-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Well guess I'm old fashion,use Maxwellhouse original blend,standard grind,good to the last drop in a stainless steel 9 cup perculator over the stove or open fire makes good coffee just have to give it a minute after done percing to settle

DILLIGAF61
09-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Well guess I'm old fashion,use Maxwellhouse original blend,standard grind,good to the last drop in a stainless steel 9 cup perculator over the stove or open fire makes good coffee just have to give it a minute after done percing to settle

Did you know Maxwell House has several grinds?? they have a grind for coffee makers (drip) and another for percolators also

someday we may meet camping and I'll brew you a pot of Kona you'll be forever spoiled after that (unless I break out my stash of Blue Mountain...yum!!)

kayakinbiker
09-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Did you know Maxwell House has several grinds?? they have a grind for coffee makers (drip) and another for percolators also

someday we may meet camping and I'll brew you a pot of Kona you'll be forever spoiled after that (unless I break out my stash of Blue Mountain...yum!!)

i've heard about that kona stuff..if it's strong and dark i would love it..

DILLIGAF61
09-17-2010, 03:34 PM
i've heard about that kona stuff..if it's strong and dark i would love it..
beans can be roasted anyway you like..

you can buy green beans and roast your own even..

the thing that really makes Kona stand out is how smooth it is no bitterness...yum

you really want something high dollar?? try some Kopi Luwak currently selling for $190.00 for 1 lbs

Tumbleweeds
09-17-2010, 03:51 PM
I thought Kona was a lite and mild cup of joe, it was good, but I like more body. I like the french or italian or samatra roasts.We get our beans at world market, they have a grinder there also.You can pick roast,then grind,take home and seal a meal in smaller size's to pack on bike. I'm like greybeard,put in the trusty 9-cup and boil,when done a splash of cold water in the pour spout, settle's the grounds. check out the Bean Forge web-site in Oregon in Coos-bay. The have good beans

DanceswMtns
09-17-2010, 04:39 PM
I agree with Tumbleweeds on the french and Italian but my all time favorite is the Starbucks Sumatra in a french press.

SidecarMike
09-17-2010, 10:23 PM
beans can be roasted anyway you like..

you really want something high dollar?? try some Kopi Luwak currently selling for $190.00 for 1 lbs
Isn't that the beans that pass through a cat first?
I love the taste of coffee, but not enough for that.
I contend that any coffee can be great, if you make it strong enough and it's never boiled.

DILLIGAF61
09-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Isn't that the beans that pass through a cat first?
I love the taste of coffee, but not enough for that.
I contend that any coffee can be great, if you make it strong enough and it's never boiled.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!! here kitty kitty LMAO

any bean can be roasted any amount even Kona can be roasted to a dark french roast

hmm I think I'm going to break out the "Blue Mountain" and drink a pot

wehteh
09-20-2010, 11:29 AM
G Whizz
Ordered one from Amazon 34.99 if I remember right,I should have it sometime this week. I travel with a glass beaker french press made by Bodum,works great just afraid I'll break it. If the Thermos Nissan is built and works with the same quality as the Nissan insulated coffee cup I've used for the last decade,I'll be very happy. Will let you know....

Frank

DILLIGAF61
09-20-2010, 04:32 PM
heres the one I got at REI works great and even comes with an insulated cup also

Ironheadziggy76
09-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Was wondering ...
Has anyone used a Thermos Nissan Insulated Gourmet Coffee Press? I was thinking of buying one ...

G wizz

George, I've never used one, but there is one review on Campmor where the person has used it for over 400 days at home with good results. Stated it stayed hot for 45 minutes. They rated it 5 stars.

wehteh
09-21-2010, 12:25 PM
George
Received the Thermos Nissan coffee press about an hour ago. As advertised it is of quality construction,all stainless with a hard plastic handle. Plunger is stainless with a fine mesh stainless screen. It is built to last a life time,warranty is for five years on the pot,one year on the plunger. I can't imagine what could break,short of an elephant stepping on it. The only issue I have is there are no measurement indicators on the inside or outside of the pot, so needed to mark 6oz. indicators on the outside so I could calculate how many tablespoons of coffee needed for less than a whole pot. Cup of coffee came out great , no grinds in the cup at all. P^P^P^

Tumbleweeds
09-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Beans that pass through a cat. Hmmmmm, never thought of digging through the litter box. I think that one may have a bit too much body!!:D

DILLIGAF61
09-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Beans that pass through a cat. Hmmmmm, never thought of digging through the litter box. I think that one may have a bit too much body!!:D
at $190.00 per pound it better have something lol

wingpilot08
05-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Starbucks Via French or Italian roast..no muss no fuss..just add hot water!! Forget the coffee pot!!

aysrav
05-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Starbucks Via French or Italian roast..no muss no fuss..just add hot water!! Forget the coffee pot!!

I have to agree with this. Nobody loves fresh brewed french roast coffee more than I do, but we used these Via packs from Starbucks on a camping trip last week and they worked great for me! P^

dray
05-20-2011, 08:46 PM
I use a jetboil coffee press, also a porcelain peculator, and some times Maxwell house singles,

but I seen this the other day and I'm feeling the need to buy!

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68964?pi=1155621&qs=3012739_g_shopping&subrnd=0

or in red

http://search.coleman.com/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=0&page_id=1236&query=propane%20coffee%20maker&hiword=COFFE%20MAKE%20MAKERS%20MAKES%20PERCOLATOR% 20PROPANA%20PROPANO%20coffee%20maker%20propane%20

Dray

ImRubicon
05-20-2011, 11:25 PM
A old perc pot like Grandpa used and thats most likely the reason as it gives off a great aroma and tastes decent , not starbucks for smooth but smellls and tastes good enough . plus the sound and smells while perc-ing bring back those old feeling when my grandpa made coffee while camping . makes it worth the few grinds and most seem to like the non fancy coffee just fine P^

Aldawg
06-17-2011, 02:38 PM
All this talk about coffee. But not 1 person mentioned anything about cream and sugar. Let me guess "real men drink it black" lol. :p Personally, I just usually ride to the nearest gas station or DD. Since we are almost always 2-up, we dont have enough room for luxuries like coffee pots and cookware.

SidecarMike
06-17-2011, 04:56 PM
All this talk about coffee. But not 1 person mentioned anything about cream and sugar. Let me guess "real men drink it black" lol. :p Personally, I just usually ride to the nearest gas station or DD. Since we are almost always 2-up, we dont have enough room for luxuries like coffee pots and cookware.

I don't use it myself, but I usually do carry sugar packets and powdered creamer.
I save enough money cooking my own food to pay for my trailer and cookware in a single season. And I very seldom serve myself a bad meal. :D

Last week, coming back from Milwaukee, I paid way too much for a prime rib dinner that was so bad I couldn't eat it. It seriously tasted like it had been marinated in kerosene and the pre-baked potato was so old the pulp was transparent. When I complained to the manager, his response was, "Well, not everyone likes everything on our menu. Come again soon!"
Not likely.

Indianscout
06-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Last week, coming back from Milwaukee, I paid way too much for a prime rib dinner that was so bad I couldn't eat it. It seriously tasted like it had been marinated in kerosene and the pre-baked potato was so old the pulp was transparent. When I complained to the manager, his response was, "Well, not everyone likes everything on our menu. Come again soon!"
Not likely.

I wonder how long they will be in business with an attitude like that???

lytle1gw
06-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Need to put names of places like that out, so that no other unsuspecting motocamper is caught off guard. I got no problem telling others when I find a bad place to eat.

ltexfisher
06-18-2011, 05:53 AM
I'm using the Starbucks Press, came with a lesson and a cup of coffee to break it in.
REI didn't offer either

Yogi
06-18-2011, 08:48 AM
I was thinking of trying that Starbucks Via and yes I do drink my coffee black P^

SidecarMike
06-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Need to put names of places like that out, so that no other unsuspecting motocamper is caught off guard. I got no problem telling others when I find a bad place to eat.
I didn't pay attention to the name of the place, but will make a note of it next time I'm in the area. It was near Berlin, WI.

My son is a chef. I know how restarant staff changes quickly, so sometimes hate to condemn a place based on one meal.
The only places I uneqivically condemn are the Iron Skillet on I94 and U.S. 51 south of Wisconsin Dells and the Mom and Pop Restaurant at exit 115 in Black River Falls. I've given each a number of chances and they failed each time.
Not sure of the name of that Mom and Pop, but it is the first place on the right if you take the exit in to town. Won't take a check or credit card, cash only. I think that is so you can't cancel the payment when you get sick in the parking lot after your visit.

Indianscout
06-18-2011, 10:46 PM
The only places I uneqivically condemn are the Iron Skillet on I94 and U.S. 51 south of Wisconsin Dells and the Mom and Pop Restaurant at exit 115 in Black River Falls. I've given each a number of chances and they failed each time.
Not sure of the name of that Mom and Pop, but it is the first place on the right if you take the exit in to town. Won't take a check or credit card, cash only. I think that is so you can't cancel the payment when you get sick in the parking lot after your visit.

I know that place and agree with you!!!! Stopped in once on my way out east and will NEVER set foot in there again!!!

bvail
06-19-2011, 11:18 AM

I gots to have my coffee when I get up, so I use a JetBoil setup. Takes up very little room and boils up h2o in about a minute. Then everything is ok :)

SILVERTIP
09-16-2011, 09:55 PM
They do make it with a metal caraffe, i found it at wallyworld and canadian tire stores. You have to look to see which you are getting...

bigTom
09-17-2011, 05:58 AM
I have a good friend that drinks his coffee 'doctored'. He doesn't even pack coffee when he knows I'm going to be there, just brings his cup with his 'bag of stuff'. Creamers and sugars and such...

It's such a joy to see him walking up with his cup in hand....

lytle1gw
09-17-2011, 07:38 AM
I have heard that you have a bottomless pot on all the time.:D

Aldawg
09-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Up-date. This summer is the first time I've been cooking while moto-camping. After having done it a few times, and with some practice in the back yard. I have become fairly proficiant at cooking a good meal whilst on the road. This also means COFFEE in the morning, the Folgers bags actually work, and taste fine. So as a permanent part of my meal kit I made a small coffee kit, using a small plastic box from an old first aid kit. It holds about 15 of the Coffee-Mate creamers, 10 Folgers bags, and some sugar. Enough for a 3 day outing! I'm not real picky about my coffee, I'll drink just about any kind, cowboy coffee, 3 day old coffee, instant, or gormet, does'nt matter to me. :o

IndyDon
09-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Welcome from Indiana. Lots of info on trailer builds here.

ImRubicon
09-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Up-date. This summer is the first time I've been cooking while moto-camping. After having done it a few times, and with some practice in the back yard. I have become fairly proficiant at cooking a good meal whilst on the road. This also means COFFEE in the morning, the Folgers bags actually work, and taste fine. So as a permanent part of my meal kit I made a small coffee kit, using a small plastic box from an old first aid kit. It holds about 15 of the Coffee-Mate creamers, 10 Folgers bags, and some sugar. Enough for a 3 day outing! I'm not real picky about my coffee, I'll drink just about any kind, cowboy coffee, 3 day old coffee, instant, or gormet, does'nt matter to me. :o

Coffee is just plain good on a cold morning even cowboy coffee

Motogirl
09-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi all! I'm new here. Ive been a Moto camper since 2001 & love it. I started out with a Cabela's percolator, found it worked well. A little bulky. Also have done the Starbucks VIA. It's an excellent choice. A bit pricey. My favorite is the Jetboil with the optional French press. Fill the Jetboil with water up to the line. Get to a boil (2mins) Put 4 Tbsp of coffee in and stir. Put lid on do not press yet. Let it set for 5-10minutes depending on what streanght coffee you like. Press and pour. You can also use the jet boil for all kinds of backpack meals such as mountain house. We've even stopped on the side of the BRP for hot tea with the Jetboil. It's awesome. I highly recommend it!:tent7:

lytle1gw
09-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Welcome motogirl.

trapperdick
09-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Welcome Motogirl,,,,,,,,,enjoy the fourm, post often and post pictures,,,,,we love pictures........TD P^

BeemMeUp
09-19-2011, 05:30 PM
I carry a 4 cup Mr. Coffee with me. You can plug it in when you have electricity, when you don't you just boil some water and pour it through the grounds. It's a bit bulky but works just fine. I also have a single cup plastic brewer similiar to the one denny explained about. I have had the single cup brewer for 30+ years and have used it on my boat and camping. Sure beats instant coffee.

drzcharlie
10-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Two words. "Starbucks Via" Good stuff

SidecarMike
10-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Two words. "Starbucks Via" Good stuff
I've always said that if Starbucks ever came out with coffee flavored coffee, I would give them a try. However, at $6.95 for a six serving bag, hades will freeze before that happens.

The best tasting coffee I've found, runs about that much per pound.

drzcharlie
10-18-2011, 10:32 AM
I get it from Sams Club. I get 8 packets with three coffee packets in each one. Costs $25 but lasts me a long time unless we run out of coffee at the house. That works out to be about $0.96 a cup.

I moto camp on a dirt bike so space is at a premium. I slip one packet of coffee and one packet of creamer (for each day out) into my Jet Boil. Takes no extra space. I get excellent coffee in under two minutes.

Even using your 6 service bag it's $1.15 a cup. Has Hades frozen yet? Most diners, cafes and restaurants charge that for their coffee.

Besides your nearly my age, and I can't remember the last time I had a $0.25 cup of coffee for a long time now and I doubt you have unless you reuse your grounds, just kidding.

SidecarMike
10-18-2011, 11:15 AM
I get it from Sams Club. I get 8 packets with three coffee packets in each one. Costs $25 but lasts me a long time unless we run out of coffee at the house. That works out to be about $0.96 a cup.

I moto camp on a dirt bike so space is at a premium. I slip one packet of coffee and one packet of creamer (for each day out) into my Jet Boil. Takes no extra space. I get excellent coffee in under two minutes.

Even using your 6 service bag it's $1.15 a cup. Has Hades frozen yet? Most diners, cafes and restaurants charge that for their coffee.

Besides your nearly my age, I don't think haven't had a $0.25 cup of coffee for a long time now and I doubt you have unless you reuse your grounds, just kidding.

I figure I get about 30 cups of coffee out of a $7 pound. Thats less than a quarter a cup. And as far as restaurants go, my favorite charges .50 for a cup with free refills.
If I was in the habit of having a single cup and leaving, I might not object. But I'll always have two or three and the wife won't move until the second pot is empty.

RCLafnjack
10-18-2011, 11:26 AM
I have this and let me tell you combined with a Jetboil stove you can make a cup of coffee in minutes. This may be one of the best things I have gotten lately next to the "Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink"

drzcharlie
10-18-2011, 11:26 AM
I figure I get about 30 cups of coffee out of a $7 pound. Thats less than a quarter a cup. And as far as restaurants go, my favorite charges .50 for a cup with free refills.
If I was in the habit of having a single cup and leaving, I might not object. But I'll always have two or three and the wife won't move until the second pot is empty.

I want to know where you are getting $7 a pound quality coffee? I suppose it's all in perspective and I'm not poo pooing your method at all. In fact you've obviously found a methodology that works for you.

My purpose is to keep the trip as simple as possible. Set up camp, ride, eat, sleep and repeat. Bringing the Starbucks may be a luxury but when you dirt bike out into the desert or mountains on trails or firebreak roads and camp. You need to bring something to satisfy the craving.

My luggage consists of three bags (Dirt Bagz (http://www.dbzproducts.com/)) for all my camping and personal gear. Packing very small and light is important to how I ride and camp. Yes, it's a minimalist approach but It's what works for me in the situation I've chosen. I really don't mind paying a bit extra for the coffee because it brings me pleasure in the morning and keeps me from growling like a bear.

drzcharlie
10-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I have this and let me tell you combined with a Jetboil stove you can make a cup of coffee in minutes. This may be one of the best things I have gotten lately next to the "Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink"

I have one of those as well. As you say, it works nicely and brews a good cup of coffee. But, I found the Starbucks packets a better match for my lazy self. P^

SidecarMike
10-18-2011, 12:24 PM
I have the Melitta version of this. About the same size but not collapsible. I seldom use it as I find that by the time it drains down into the cup it is no longer as hot as I like my coffee. I use it sometimes at home, but seldom on the road.

Clamper
10-18-2011, 04:48 PM
I have the Melitta version of this. About the same size but not collapsible. I seldom use it as I find that by the time it drains down into the cup it is no longer as hot as I like my coffee. I use it sometimes at home, but seldom on the road.

I use the same one, but at home. A 1 1/8 oz of Folgers, a type 4 filter and boiling water into a 22 oz cup. Comes out perfect everytime whether I'm at home or in camp. It stays hot, and the boiling water wakes up the coffee.

BeemMeUp
10-22-2011, 11:26 PM
I just received RSVP coffee funnel purchased through fleabay. I tried it out using a #4 filter and made a tasty pot of coffee with it. You just heat your water to boiling and pour it through. It says to use a #6 filter but I didn't have any handy so I used the smaller #4. The beauty of the funnel is it is made to brew right into a thermos. The drawback is it's size. It is rigid plastic about 6" high X about 6" wide at the top of the funnel. I like it because I can brew directly into a thermos. It has a small funnel made on the end with a circular platform that rests on the bottle's mouth. If you wanted to brew directly into a mug you would have to hold it by it's handy little handle. Here's a picture of it on fleabay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390345120926?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 The cinnamon/hazelnut coffee I just made is tasty! :java1:

dray
10-22-2011, 11:33 PM
I use a coffee press. my coffee comes from http://www.peets.com/shop/coffee.asp

I also get my Tea's from them

quadancer
10-23-2011, 08:18 PM
When my coffee gets near a buck a cup, I'm quitting.
Meanwhile, I've found that some of the discount coffee bricks are actually pretty good, and it's fortunate that I like chickory with my coffee too. So, around $5 for a brick goes a very long way. If it's dark and too strong, just use less, and if too light, either mix with dark grounds or use more.
I have a cast iron stomach.

wingpilot08
10-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Starbucks Via....just boil water and add....

kdf9511
10-24-2011, 01:45 PM

I almost bought some of that the other day. It was on the clearance rack at Wally World. I have heard good things about it and may just have to try it.

George
10-26-2011, 02:06 AM
Man, $7/lb is expensive coffee. I buy our Dunkin Donuts, 5 lbs for $50 delivered. And DD is pretty good stuff.

I grind a pound or so to take with on my longer trips. Less for a shrot weekend. Works for me.

bigTom
10-26-2011, 05:20 AM
Mine is right at $5.50 per pound right now...Reminds me to help George drink some of his cheap stuff this weekend....

lytle1gw
10-26-2011, 06:00 AM
Man yus guys ar missin the boat, I's find these little black coffa beans when out deer hunting and grind them up, taste like crap but its cheap.:java1::sick

bigTom
10-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Man yus guys ar missin the boat, I's find these little black coffa beans when out deer hunting and grind them up, taste like crap but its cheap.

Guest coffee???

zig
10-26-2011, 07:33 AM
Man, $7/lb is expensive coffee. I buy our Dunkin Donuts, 5 lbs for $50 delivered. And DD is pretty good stuff.

I grind a pound or so to take with on my longer trips. Less for a shrot weekend. Works for me.

+1 for Dunkin Donuts. My old boss got me hooked, now I'm addicted. Try it if you haven't already. A little more than the usual, but worth it.P^

SidecarMike
10-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Man yus guys ar missin the boat, I's find these little black coffa beans when out deer hunting and grind them up, taste like crap but its cheap.:java1::sick:eek::oh2::eek:

Cousin Jack
06-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Naw..... y'all need to do a "Hard Man's Breakfast!" Yank a Camel straight outa that crumpled pack y'all got folded up in the sleeve of your holey white t-shirt, and smoke it while chewing a couple of tablespoons of Folger's Instant Crystals...... then hit the road, Jack!

Actually, Red and I thank the day we got us a plastic Bodkin French Press, which finally cracked and we've now replaced it with a stainless one from R.E.I.

Red grinds our coffee herself, and likes something called Millstone Chocolate Velvet or Chocolate Macadamia Nut.....gotten real "yuppie," us, in our coffee tastes.....but nothing is better than good coffee on a motorcycle morning....nothing.......

dkurfiss
06-09-2012, 05:17 PM

What he said!

greybeard
06-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Maxwell House just a pinch between cheek and gum good for a while

G wizz
06-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Maxwell House just a pinch between cheek and gum good for a while

Ya right ... just don't sneeze ... :eek: ... :p

LarryinSeattle
06-10-2012, 11:07 AM
I haul a jetboil when camping. When traveling on the road and filling up with gas, I go into the station with my insulated coffee cup and ask if it is ok to get some hot water from the coffee dispenser. (All of the modern coffee stations have a hot water disperser) I have never been charged for hot water. The Starbucks Via goes in and I have a delicious cup of coffee in my cup holder for $.90 a cup in 30 seconds or less.

I also use the jetboil and when there is two of us, I use the melitta filter holder that fits right into my thermos. Sure is nice to have a hot cup of coffee during a sandwiche stop without paying $2.00 a cup for it.

Mushroom
06-10-2012, 01:40 PM
I was a dedicated Folger's drinker, since that is what my family always drank. But then I went and married a gal from South America, and she introduced me to Cafe Bustelo. It is an espresso blend, but has always worked fine in our regular drip coffee maker and percolator (just use a filter). It is a really fine grind, so you actually use less coffee, and it is still really strong.

And for the last 26 years, it has been the only brand I have bought.

dimetraveler
07-15-2012, 09:06 PM
I take the folgers coffee singles with me when i am camping or hiking,and a few of the coffee creamers that don't spoil,it works for me.

Twempie
07-16-2012, 08:48 AM
I use Starbucks VIA. Soluble (instant), individual pack are the size of a stick of gum. Not the cheapest but convenient, light, and take up very little space.

quadancer
07-16-2012, 08:43 PM
You "YahtzeeTahtzee" campers kill me....:rolleyes:
Ya know, we call that place "FourBucks"....guess why?

Aldawg
07-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Recently, I thought I'd simplify my life and go with instant coffee for the road. Well, being absent minded as I am, :(I forgot to get the good instant coffee while I was stocking up on camping food. What a mistake that was, I ended up having to get dollar store instant coffee, let me tell you, I think boiled river water would have tasted better :sick Two mornings in a row with ****ty coffee will make you never forget the good stuff again :eek:

Edit: It rhymes with Smitty lol. I did'nt know Motocampers was censored?

G wizz
07-17-2012, 05:04 PM
I did'nt know Motocampers was censored?

Yup ... P^ It keeps the riff-raff out ... :eek:

quadancer
07-17-2012, 06:42 PM
That reminds me; where can I find pure Chickory? I love the stuff with coffee or as a standalone drink. Wife hates it, of course.

trapperdick
07-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Just a plain old Colman coffee percolator.....you know, the blue one with the spots all over it.......4 scoops of Folgers, perc for 8 mins.........Ummmmm..........TD

BillyD
12-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Mark: Grab your empty cup and walk around the campground with a sad face until some nice camper offers you a cup of coffee. New friend made and a good cup of coffee..

8trackmind
12-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Looks like most of this has been hashed out for a while, but I didn't see a methyl alcohol powered redneck high octane java rig quite like mine. :)

AeroPress
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/8trackmindgs/Natchez%20Trace/DSCN6684_zps14b53467.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/8trackmindgs/Natchez%20Trace/DSCN6683_zps6876c9bf.jpg

Diet Coke stove in a beer can chicken apparatus
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/8trackmindgs/Natchez%20Trace/DSCN6682_zps681b5454.jpg

swoody126
12-25-2012, 06:32 PM
did a quick search on fleabay & came up w/:

the SNOW PEAK TITANIUM press, which I use

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snow-Peak-Titanium-Coffee-Press-/321044084420?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abfb7f6c4

also came up w/ a section of the presses, of different brands, sizes & shapes @:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=coffee+press&_sacat=382&_from=R40

as mentioned, above, a COFFEE PRESS/FRENCH PRESS is a simple system that is STUPID SIMPLE

it makes a very good cup of coffee

you can, also, delegate a press to TEA, if that is the beverage of choice

happy camping

sw

anthony65
12-26-2012, 10:06 AM
I like to drink coffee very much. You can bring with you cowboy coffee, put it a pot or pan, put it on flame and carry to a steam, Put some in a cup and consume. I used it during camping.

StanC
12-26-2012, 03:10 PM
This is what I've found works best for me! A single cup coffee maker. You just add hot water that's boiled in another pot. Each cup can be as rich or different as you want. And I still have hot water ready for oatmeal, tea or hot cocoa. I have another one cupper which doesn't use paper filters. But it is harder to clean after each cup. The fine mesh requires a water rinse after each brew.

bikergal
12-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Great idea...I like simple...

KevinL
12-27-2012, 01:09 AM
My kids got me one of those Aeropress coffee makers for Christmas. Man - that thing sure makes a fine cup of coffee P^. A whole lot easier to clean up than that coffee press attachment for the jetboil. The coffee grounds get pressed into a 'puck' that pops out of the bottom once you remove the filter. It's a really neat little coffee maker.

quadancer
12-29-2012, 07:13 PM
This is what I've found works best for me! A single cup coffee maker. You just add hot water that's boiled in another pot. Each cup can be as rich or different as you want. And I still have hot water ready for oatmeal, tea or hot cocoa. I have another one cupper which doesn't use paper filters. But it is harder to clean after each cup. The fine mesh requires a water rinse after each brew.

I use that one myself now, but found it insufficient when 2up camping - by the time I make the OL's coffee, mine is cold! :mad:

Festus
12-29-2012, 08:47 PM
I use that one myself now, but found it insufficient when 2up camping - by the time I make the OL's coffee, mine is cold! :mad:

LOL ... Maybe make hers first?

G wizz
12-29-2012, 09:10 PM
LOL ... Maybe make hers first?

That's a great idea, and I'd be willing to bet 'Ol Quads wife woild appreciate it too ... P^

quadancer
12-29-2012, 09:39 PM
BLASHPEMY! That's all I can say....

8trackmind
12-29-2012, 10:24 PM
My kids got me one of those Aeropress coffee makers for Christmas. Man - that thing sure makes a fine cup of coffee P^. A whole lot easier to clean up than that coffee press attachment for the jetboil. The coffee grounds get pressed into a 'puck' that pops out of the bottom once you remove the filter. It's a really neat little coffee maker.

It really does work well. I make my usual three morning cups using the same filter, just give it a splash between cups.
After I have regained the ability the thread a moving sewing machine needle, I'm ready to ride! :run1:

Whosoever
01-18-2013, 06:52 PM
I use one of these from REI and Dunkin' Donut coffee. Scoop per cup and it is really good.http://www.rei.com/zoom/yy/ee5ff07e-5182-4351-a60d-04948b4009fd.jpg/150

Triker tom
01-19-2013, 06:59 AM
After reading this thread i purchased this press from REI and love it. i stop using my regular coffee pot and use this every day:)

quadancer
01-20-2013, 06:15 PM
I LOVE Bustelo, and chicory or anything with chicory in it.
Of course, these will be the things my wife hates. :rolleyes:

Shaman
01-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Small world, new to your site today lurking around I saw that you were in Westoc, I was in Westoc in 2001 it was in Kimberly, BC that year.

Claude:)

Ironheadziggy76
01-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Welcome from Western Kentucky Claude!

Roadhound
01-22-2013, 06:40 AM
I've tried just about all of the different ways of making coffee. I keep returning to my old 6 cup stainless percolator. I like more than 1 cup in the mornings this thing allows me to make a pot, pour a cup, turn the heat off, and reheat it when I'm ready for another. It's easy to clean, and has a minimum amount of parts.
I package my ground coffee in freezer bags and stuff them inside the pot when traveling so it packs well.

kaitiff
01-25-2013, 06:37 AM
I bought a cheap aluminum percolator when I first got back into camping. It doesn't work with a hill of beans, at least from what I remember of percolators. I remember that not long after heat was applied, water would start perking into the little glass top. On this damn thing, the whole pot is at a rolling boil before the first drop makes it's way up to the top, so it always seems like it takes FOREVER to get a pot of coffee going. Maybe my recollection is wrong?

quadancer
01-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Stem was probably the wrong length. Percs can work well, but I'd say take a bit more fuel than drip or squashed coffee...or cowboy...

LarryinSeattle
01-26-2013, 02:41 AM

This is my coffee brewing method. Fresh ground coffee from home and this cone and filter. No comparison.

8trackmind
01-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Stem was probably the wrong length. Percs can work well, but I'd say take a bit more fuel than drip or squashed coffee...or cowboy...

Thank you. Being from the south, I enjoy using my native vernacular. "Jeet yet?" "Tars Flat" "Howsya Momma 'n them?" etc.
Thanks to you, I will no longer be relegated to describing my effeminate sounding coffee brewing procedure to others as "french press".

If we ever do cross paths, you can have as much of my "squashed coffee" as your blood pressure will allow. P^

LarryinSeattle
01-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Thank you. Being from the south, I enjoy using my native vernacular. "Jeet yet?" "Tars Flat" "Howsya Momma 'n them?" etc.
Thanks to you, I will no longer be relegated to describing my effeminate sounding coffee brewing procedure to others as "french press".

If we ever do cross paths, you can have as much of my "squashed coffee" as your blood pressure will allow. P^

I have never slept with a woman I didn't like, but I have endured a cup of coffee that I didn't like. It is hard to insult another man's coffee.

8trackmind
01-26-2013, 10:18 AM
I have never slept with a woman I didn't like, but I have endured a cup of coffee that I didn't like. It is hard to insult another man's coffee.

Agreed! P^
I hope y'all realize that my post was indeed genuine and not intended to poke fun at anyone but my redneck self.:)

Ironheadziggy76
01-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Agreed! P^
I hope y'all realize that my post was indeed genuine and not intended to poke fun at anyone but my redneck self.:)

I'm just glad to see you and I know the proper spelling of y'all! P^ I've seen it butchered by many. :lol

Clamper
01-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Yar!! but did you ever wake up wondering "where the heck am I" :confused:

lytle1gw
01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm just glad to see you and I know the proper spelling of y'all! I've seen it butchered by many.

Now hold it just a sec, I was raised down thar in kentuck afore yuos was and we's always spelt it Ya'all but then that thar was up by the ohio and green rivars. Might have been dif down in the pennyrille area.:D

quadancer
01-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks to you, I will no longer be relegated to describing my effeminate sounding coffee brewing procedure to others as "french press". P^

Yeah, that does sound a little gay, like..."I haff come to beat your coffeee, Ricky Bobbieee..." :rolleyes:

Ironheadziggy76
01-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Now hold it just a sec, I was raised down thar in kentuck afore yuos was and we's always spelt it Ya'all but then that thar was up by the ohio and green rivars. Might have been dif down in the pennyrille area.:D

Y'all Ohio river folks were better schooled than us backwoods folks.

lytle1gw
01-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Y'all Ohio river folks were better schooled than us backwoods folks.

Yup and we even had to wear shoes to school.

LarryinSeattle
01-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Yar!! but did you ever wake up wondering "where the heck am I" :confused:

I never had to cut my arm off to get out of there. Ever since I quit drinking, the women look just as bad at closing time!

I have had to give my coffee cup a quick flip to get rid of the black stuff and all the chunks floating in it that someone poured into my cup before I could put my hand over it to signal that I had enough. "I give up! You win, you have the strongest crappiest coffee I have ever tasted."

That type of technique has to be taught.... one can't screw it up that bad without it being on purpose.

Here is a recipe: Boil water. Pour over grounds. filter out grounds. drink up.

Some people have a hard time with the filter part. Some have a hard time remembering to throw out the old coffee before they start boiling the new. Some people must of filtered the grounds with used toilet paper cuz their coffee tasted like sh**!

Now, I know I am a coffee snob from Seattle. It happens to us when it rains 250 days a year here. We have to be good at some kind of indoor sports.

sickchilly
01-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Now, I know I am a coffee snob from Seattle. It happens to us when it rains 250 days a year here. We have to be good at some kind of indoor sports.

Whoa whoa! Coffee's an indoor sport here? Where do I sign up for a league?

-Fellow Northwet Coffee Snob

quadancer
01-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Thankfully, in the south (especially Texas) MEAT is a sport! :p

sickchilly
01-27-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm from KC and a Texan by marriage. Meat is a sport, pastime, and lifestyle!

LarryinSeattle
01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Whoa whoa! Coffee's an indoor sport here? Where do I sign up for a league?

-Fellow Northwet Coffee Snob

Seattle coffee competition is like lawn darts in Florida. They play them everywhere but there is no professional league.

We could create an arena league type of deal.

NCL vs ACL Coffee Bowl Championship Series? Best of 7 lattes?

DILLIGAF61
01-27-2013, 08:15 PM
hey Larry come to the Northwoods camp out I always have Kona with me and I carry a french press and a percolator and I've had my eye on REI's espresso maker
Posted via Mobile Device

kaitiff
01-28-2013, 07:32 AM
My first camping trip out with our 'new gear' several years ago the first morning we tried to make coffee, and it didn't turn out so good. Our 'campsite in a bag' from Kmart has worked out wonderful for us for years but it came with this little one burner flat kinda thing and of course it didn't work first time we tried to use it. Several yards away there was someone set up brewing coffee ( you could S M E L L I T ), nice couple with one of the bulletproof 2 burner coleman stoves that weigh as much as my whole camping rig. I tentatively asked if he would let me heat some water to make coffee and he and his wife insisted we come over and share their pot, which was overflowing and tasted like mana from heaven. :) NEVER talk bad about free coffee.

LarryinSeattle
02-03-2013, 09:26 PM
hey Larry come to the Northwoods camp out I always have Kona with me and I carry a french press and a percolator and I've had my eye on REI's espresso maker
Posted via Mobile Device

I have at times done quite a bit for a cup of coffee, but that is quite a ride for a cup of joe.

G wizz
02-03-2013, 09:40 PM
I have at times done quite a bit for a cup of coffee, but that is quite a ride for a cup of joe.

Couldn't be too bad of a trip ... . Black & Blue came all the way from California to the first North Woods Campout for some of my hot dogs ... ;)

G

quadancer
02-03-2013, 09:46 PM
I went across alligator alley, Miami to Ft. Myers beach for a beer. That was cool...and the night ride back? COLLLLLD!!! We were in t-shirts.

LarryinSeattle
02-04-2013, 02:13 AM
Couldn't be too bad of a trip ... . Black & Blue came all the way from California to the first North Woods Campout for some of my hot dogs ... ;)

G

Jees.... this next summer, I am already riding from Seattle to Washington DC to salute the veterans on Memorial Day and then from Seattle to Brookings SD and back for a family reunion and then in the September, from Seattle to N. California for a meet and greet. I guess I could ride from Seattle to the campout for a hot dog and a cup of coffee. Makes sense. I was foolish to question any of that logic in the first place.

DILLIGAF61
02-04-2013, 03:28 AM
Jees.... this next summer, I am already riding from Seattle to Washington DC to salute the veterans on Memorial Day and then from Seattle to Brookings SD and back for a family reunion and then in the September, from Seattle to N. California for a meet and greet. I guess I could ride from Seattle to the campout for a hot dog and a cup of coffee. Makes sense. I was foolish to question any of that logic in the first place.

well it is estate grown Kona after allP^

Posted via Mobile Device

G wizz
02-04-2013, 03:31 AM
Jees.... this next summer,I am riding from Seattle to Washington DC, and then from Seattle to Brookings SD and back for a family reunion and then from Seattle to N. California I guess I could ride from Seattle to the campout for a hot dog and a cup of coffee. Makes sense.

Glad to hear ya ain't letting any grass grow under the wheels of your bike ... ;)

If ya can squeeze in the North Woods Camp Out, in August, I'll be sure you get an ice cream cone or two or three ... P^

'Ol dilligaf is offering you high class coffee, and I'm treating you to ice cream & hot dogs ... How can you turn that down? ... :confused: ... :)
G

Dusty Boots
02-04-2013, 03:54 AM
I guess I could ride from Seattle to the campout for a hot dog and a cup of coffee. Makes sense. I was foolish to question any of that logic in the first place.

Come on out, Larry! .... it's been a while! P^

doostrekker
02-04-2013, 04:42 AM
Coffee press fom Walmart

LarryinSeattle
02-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Am I getting lured into a dark alley?

"Hey, little boy, would you like a piece of candy?"

G wizz
02-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Am I getting lured into a dark alley?

"Hey, little boy, would you like a piece of candy?"

No ... A bright campground ... :) would you like a marshmallow? ...

Indianscout
02-05-2013, 03:33 PM
No ... A bright campground ... :) would you like a marshmallow? ...

Aww-heck George, why don't you break out the big guns and offer up your worlds famous pineapple up-side-down cake?

http://indianscout.smugmug.com/Other/Northwoods-campout/i-VBj5X64/0/L/campout%20001-L.jpg

G wizz
02-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Aww-heck George, why don't you break out the big guns and offer up your worlds famous pineapple up-side-down cake?

That could be arranged ... ;)

G

LarryinSeattle
02-06-2013, 12:47 AM

http://indianscout.smugmug.com/Other/Northwoods-campout/i-VBj5X64/0/L/campout%20001-L.jpg

is this heaven?

G wizz
02-06-2013, 01:23 AM
is this heaven?

Now add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the cake, and it comes darn close ... ;)
Are you sure ya wanna pass this up? ... :confused: ... :eek:

G

DILLIGAF61
02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
that isn't the big guns ....that is thermo-nuclear warfare
Posted via Mobile Device

wihardy
04-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Ok this thread has the most energy of the whole forum:D I love my french press, I love fancy coffee (orange chocolate $13.50/lb) and I love putting Ovaltine instant breakfast drink mix in my coffee. Kind of makes it taste like a Orange chocolate mocha or if done right an orange dark chocolate mocha. I have a three cup french press and I don't share in the morning. I'm mean that way:D. I also got a Cabella's six cup percolator a long time ago and use it when I forget my smaller plastic press. It is just as hard to clean up as a press though and that is a drag. I don't drink caffeine after noon though if I want to sleep at night.:tent4:

wingpilot08
04-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Wow..this thread just proves that coffee drinkers are just as diverse as the bikes we ride..and that everyone has a opinion on what is the best coffee/way to make it/what to put in it....etc this will never end! Some people would drink ground up tree bark..others want the excreted beans from a civit cat's a$$!

Scott
04-25-2013, 07:00 AM
In my 50 years of life I've found that the best coffee is what someone else is drinking, as long as it's not ME! :p
I've tried it every single way possible and I can honestly say, I Don't Like it!
Weirdly enough I love the smell of the beans being ground though. :confused:
Yeah, I'm a very confused messed up person. Make it for my wife all the time just can't drink it myself.
It's tea for me mate! P^

kaitiff
04-25-2013, 08:21 AM
I guess i'm just a bit pedestrian or blue collar... never tried no fancy french press cofee maker. When we first started motocamping we bought a Kmart aluminum percolator. The cofee it makes is drinkable but it t a k e s f o r e v e r to make a little bitty pot. I don't think it's constructed right, I'm used to it perking before it starts going to a full boil, but not this thing. I swear it sounds like a boiler on a train and it looks like it might blow up before it starts perking.

RCLafnjack
04-25-2013, 08:22 AM
I have one of these and they are great.. Combined with heating water in my JetBoil I can have a freshly brewed cup in about 3 minutes..:)

DILLIGAF61
04-25-2013, 11:24 AM
camp near me and you'll get a fine cup of estate grown Kona or sometimes Jamaican Blue Mountain I have a french press and a Cabela's 6 cup percolator oh and I prefer to grind my beans just before I use them
Posted via Mobile Device

bvail
04-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Wow..this thread just proves that coffee drinkers are just as diverse as the bikes we ride..and that everyone has a opinion on what is the best coffee/way to make it/what to put in it....etc this will never end! Some people would drink ground up tree bark..others want the excreted beans from a civit cat's a$$!

I know a fella who actually drank a cup. He's a coffee freak and said it was the best cup-o-coffee he ever tasted :java1: It's quite expensive though, probably not appropriate for jet-boil or K-mart perculator.

DILLIGAF61
04-25-2013, 12:38 PM
cat poop coffee $25 per oz.Kopi Luwak Coffee, Whole Bean, 16-Ounce Bags: Amazon.com: Grocery &amp; Gourmet Food
Posted via Mobile Device

bvail
04-25-2013, 01:23 PM
If you did not read the reviews and comments on the above thread, please do so and you will be ROTFLYAO :D

FatBasturd
04-25-2013, 01:42 PM
The reviews are PRICELESS!

bvail
04-25-2013, 02:11 PM
I've got a Maine Coon and a Manx (kittie w/o a tail). Maybe I should feed them some beans and see what happens. The Manx loves to eat peanuts, so maybe she'd like to try some of those fancy beans.

G wizz
04-25-2013, 03:30 PM
I've got a Maine Coon and a Manx (kittie w/o a tail). Maybe I should feed them some beans and see what happens. The Manx loves to eat peanuts, so maybe she'd like to try some of those fancy beans.

Let us know how it comes out, Ok Bob? ... P^

KevinL
04-25-2013, 10:50 PM
If you did not read the reviews and comments on the above thread, please do so and you will be ROTFLYAO :D

That was pretty funny!

bvail
04-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Lot us know how it comes out, Ok Bob? ... P^

If I go forward with this I will have to check with the wife for results, since I only service the front end - she takes care of the poop. Life is good :)

G wizz
04-27-2013, 09:36 AM
I only service the front end - she takes care of the poop. Life is good :)

Good for you maybe ... Your wife? ... Not so much ... :ph1:

Ironheadziggy76
04-27-2013, 09:57 AM

I just read these, it caused me to almost spew my cheap coffee everywhere! :lol

DILLIGAF61
04-27-2013, 10:34 AM
hmmm should I spend the money on enough of kitty poop coffee to make a pot at the Northwoods Campout and not tell anyone what they are drinking
Posted via Mobile Device

bvail
04-27-2013, 10:43 AM
hmmm should I spend the money on enough of kitty poop coffee to make a pot at the Northwoods Campout and not tell anyone what they are drinking
Posted via Mobile Device

According to the reviews they'll figure it out if it's as good as people say. But do you really want to have a bunch of campers sitting meowing and licking themselves? :eek:

Ripshod
04-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I've tried it. It was pretty good. I drink good coffee but I don't have the palette to really appreciate the truly high-end stuff. I buy locally-roasted and grind it myself but I wouldn't say I'm a snob about it. Just don't expect me to drink instant.

Those brew pouches are mostly instant with a few grounds tossed in so they can say you're brewing something. If that floats your boat, that's fine. I won't judge you. If that was all I had, I'd probably gulp down a cup just to tide me over till I could get some gas station or McDonalds coffee.

Back to the OP. For many years I carried a 10-cup percolator. Would grind it in the commercial grinder in the store for a uniformly course grind, then pre-package it in the little snack-size ziplocks, one bag per pot.

Last year I bought a Jetboil with a press, used it once at home and once on a short weekend camping trip so far and it's a big improvement. It's much faster than perc and of course it just tastes a lot better. The percolator burns it.

DILLIGAF61
04-27-2013, 12:00 PM
According to the reviews they'll figure it out if it's as good as people say. But do you really want to have a bunch of campers sitting meowing and licking themselves? :eek:

well there are a few people I would video if they didP^

Posted via Mobile Device

Shamus
04-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Bringing along a pound of Seattle's Best to the Chill out, (gotta have it in large doses every morning to get going.. P^)

DILLIGAF61
04-27-2013, 05:22 PM
if you don't want cat poop coffee try some bird poop coffee

http://www.camocimorganic.com/ourproducts.jacu.php

and then there is elephant poop coffee

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/elephant-dung-coffee-black-ivory_n_1968096.html

or how about panda poop tea? (really just fertilized with panda poop )

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/19/panda-bear-tea-excrement-china_n_1362078.html

Posted via Mobile Device

BeemMeUp
04-27-2013, 06:26 PM
doesn't sound like my cup of tea, or coffee for that matter

Shamus
04-27-2013, 07:07 PM
doesn't sound like my cup of tea, or coffee for that matter
Mine either :eek: I can't believe the money people are willing to shell out for that kind of crap, maybe I'll just go on a whole bean diet myself before the Chill out.. :D

G wizz
04-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Maybe I'll just go on a whole bean diet myself before the Chill out.. :D

Why wait ? ... :confused: ... You're already full of crap ... :p

Shamus
04-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Why wait ? ... :confused: ... You're already full of crap ... :p
You're kind of frisky for an old fart ain't ya? :rolleyes:

G wizz
04-27-2013, 07:46 PM
You're kind of frisky for an old fart ain't ya? :rolleyes:

Funny ... That's what my wife says ... ;)

Shamus
04-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Funny ... That's what my wife says ... ;)
Must be that new stache you're sport'n.. :D

G wizz
04-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Must be that new stache you're sport'n.. :D

Oh ... Sorry to have made you envious ... :p

Shamus
04-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Oh ... Sorry to have made you envious ... :p
You haven't George, ya can't hardly make a living selling rides these days, especially considering the maintenance that thing must require... :eek:

G wizz
04-27-2013, 08:24 PM
You haven't George, ya can't hardly make a living selling rides these days, especially considering the maintenance that thing must require... :eek:

Careful where you're going with this ... :eek: ... Our moderator is watching ... YOU!

Shamus
04-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Careful where you're going with this ... :eek: ... Our moderator is watching ... YOU!
What on earth are you talking about George? I was referring to your big harley... (what else would I be jealous of?) Maybe it's you that needs watching... :p

G wizz
04-27-2013, 08:43 PM
What on earth are you talking about George? I was referring to your big harley... (what else would I be jealous of?) Maybe it's you that needs watching... :p

Yah ... Whatever ... :rolleyes:

Shamus
04-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Yah ... Whatever ... :rolleyes:
Guess maybe we should save this for the campfire 'eh big dog? :D

G wizz
04-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Guess maybe we should save this for the campfire 'eh big dog? :D

Yah ... P^ ... since you've taken this thread so far off track ... :rolleyes:

Shamus
04-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Yah ... P^ ... since you've taken this thread so far off track ... :rolleyes:
LOL!! There has never been a thread safe from 'ole Georgy boy :rolleyes: Now come to the Chill out and I'll buy ya a Cup O Joe P^

G wizz
04-28-2013, 02:47 AM
LOL!! There has never been a thread safe from 'ole Georgy boy :rolleyes: Now come to the Chill out and I'll buy ya a Cup O Joe P^

Oh ... Sorry Jim ... I'm not much of a coffee drinker .. How about you make that a cup of Makers Mark instead? Neat or on the rocks will be fine ...P^

Shamus
04-28-2013, 06:42 AM
Oh ... Sorry Jim ... I'm not much of a coffee drinker .. How about you make that a cup of Makers Mark instead? Neat or on the rocks will be fine ...P^
This is a coffee thread, :think1: (can you at least drink it out of a coffee mug?
:well)

G wizz
04-28-2013, 07:04 AM
This is a coffee thread, :think1: (can you at least drink it out of a coffee mug?
:well)

Cup ... Mug ... What difference does it make? ... :confused:

No wait! ... Now I suppose with your vast educational background, you're all set to explain all about the differences between a cup and a mug ... :ph1:

Shamus
04-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Cup ... Mug ... What difference does it make? ... :confused:
No wait! ... Now I suppose with your vast educational background, you're all set to explain all about the differences between a cup and a mug ... :ph1:
Nope, just trying to stay on track and topic.. :rolleyes:

G wizz
04-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Nope, just trying to stay on track and topic.. :rolleyes:

Great, ... You've finally come to your sences ... Good for you, Roscoe ... P^

Shamus
04-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Great, ... You've finally come to your sences ... Good for you, Roscoe ... P^
Well, SOMEBODY has to take the high road... P^

LarryinSeattle
04-30-2013, 08:55 AM
All this mindless banter ruins threads. Ever think of that?

Shamus
04-30-2013, 09:06 AM
All this mindless banter ruins threads. Ever think of that?
Everytime I post... it never fails that sooner or later almost every thread is messed up with sarcasm or unrelated trash talk! I realize that I'm just as guilty as the next guy, so I'll shut up now :Popcorn

wolfrider
05-17-2013, 01:56 PM
I camp nowhere without my coffee. Not having it handy is like a smoker realizing he's gonna run out of cigarettes long before he can replace them! I bought an old stove top Aluminium perc coffemaker on ebay for $5. It makes great coffee. 5 minutes on my propane stove and we have Necter of the Gods, what us mortals call coffee. :D Best tasting coffee ever: Blue Nile, hands down.

Camping, I usually take Columbian.

Steve

Aldawg
05-17-2013, 02:40 PM
I camp nowhere without my coffee. Not having it handy is like a smoker realizing he's gonna run out of cigarettes long before he can replace them! I bought an old stove top Aluminium perc coffemaker on ebay for $5. It makes great coffee. 5 minutes on my propane stove and we have Necter of the Gods, what us mortals call coffee. :D Best tasting coffee ever: Blue Nile, hands down.

Camping, I usually take Columbian.

Steve

Wait..................I thought BEER was 'nectar of the Gods' :couch1:

Shamus
05-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Wait..................I thought BEER was 'nectar of the Gods' :couch1:
Only for lightweights... :D

DILLIGAF61
05-17-2013, 05:05 PM
I thought it was Jameson 18 year old limited reserve
Posted via Mobile Device

Shamus
05-17-2013, 05:33 PM
I thought it was Jameson 18 year old limited reserve
Posted via Mobile Device
Close, but a good 12 year old single malt gets my attention, (please forgive my Irish soul... :D)

Zapkat
05-24-2013, 07:31 AM
I just bought a 30 oz french press from LL Bean. I'm hoping it will make at least 2 mugs of decent coffee at a time for us. I'm taking it to the cottage this weekend so we can try it out a few times to get the hang of it before we 'need' it.

Dirty Dawg
05-30-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm totally addicted to mornin coffee, my small camp stove and pot were originally bought for that reason only. Currently just using hot water and instant coffee in the Timeout. I know, yuck. Just got back into "camping" as the yearly week in the full-size popup doesn't count because it has all the usual appliances.

Contemplating getting something to make real coffee. It won't be electric, no guarantee of juice at the campsite.

Zapkat
05-30-2013, 02:43 PM
More experimentation required for the french press. Last weekend we tried it out following the instructions that came with it - 2 tablespoons of coffee grounds for each 6 ounces of water. That sounds dedicated like a lot, but being new to the process, what did we know. WAY too much. We could darn near chew the stuff. This weekend we'll try half that. And tweak it from there. I did find that I'll need to carry a small, fine gauge strainer to help dispose of the used grounds afterwards.

Charliektm400exc
05-30-2013, 05:21 PM
- 2 tablespoons of coffee grounds for each 6 ounces of water.

If you go to the chain coffee shops, or plenty of other places you can buy a little measuring spoon specially for the job very cheap. I find one of those per cup seems to work out about right for me.

bvail
05-30-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm totally addicted to mornin coffee, my small camp stove and pot were originally bought for that reason only. Currently just using hot water and instant coffee in the Timeout. I know, yuck. Just got back into "camping" as the yearly week in the full-size popup doesn't count because it has all the usual appliances.

Contemplating getting something to make real coffee. It won't be electric, no guarantee of juice at the campsite.

JetBoil w/French press will put you in a happy place.

Ripshod
06-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Here's a pretty good article (http://www.adventure-journal.com/2011/05/the-ultimate-guide-to-camp-coffee/) on coffee in the wild.

Clamper
06-13-2013, 11:20 AM
YUK, who wants a coffee snob that needs something close to espresso in the morning to get going. He could be one of those who stays up talking in the next tent until 3am keeping the campground awake. I'm not much for dunkin donuts either, but open a can, measure in some grounds and put it on the stove. Or boil some water and pour over the grounds into a cup.
What's so hard about that.
Sorry Jerry the guy sounds like a clod to me.

DILLIGAF61
06-13-2013, 11:56 AM
put me on the extreme coffee snob list nothing better than a great cup of Kona or Blue Mountain on a nice espresso
Posted via Mobile Device

Ripshod
06-13-2013, 12:15 PM
I guess you can put me on the snob list too. I hate cheap weak coffee.

dan1551
06-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Best coffee I ever had was made in a garbage can when I was in the army .The grounds were in a tied up shop towel...