PDA

View Full Version : Grapefruit Cooking

JimH
09-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Back in scouts we would sometimes use grapefruit to cook in. Cutting the grapefruit in half. Eat the pulp for breakfast. Save the outside to cook in. I don't remember the resipe but we made a kind of meat loaf. packed into the outside of the grapefruit. then set it on, in, or near the fire. for about 20 mins. crack it open and dig in. When you are finished just toss the outside of the grapefruit. I must say it was one of the more interesting meals.
I'm going to have to find all my old scouting books!
Jim

Motomadman
01-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Did the same with an orange and a couple of fresh eggs. Eat the orange after cutting in half crack the eggs into the half orange rind and placing them into some coals till the eggs were cooked to perfection.

George
01-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Did the same with an orange and a couple of fresh eggs. Eat the orange after cutting in half crack the eggs into the half orange rind and placing them into some coals till the eggs were cooked to perfection.

I gotta try this!

I did poached eggs (just break'em into hot water for a few minutes) at Blue Ridge last fall. Saved clean up time as I used the hot water to make coffee, too. No frying pan cleanup. :D

canyonman
01-27-2010, 12:56 AM
well this isn't nearly as "green" as using a left over melon rind but it is interesting.
might not be the preferred method for Glacier :rolleyes:
cooking in the bag (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUhmhVanP_o)

George
01-27-2010, 10:46 AM
well this isn't nearly as "green" as using a left over melon rind but it is interesting.
might not be the preferred method for Glacier :rolleyes:
cooking in the bag (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUhmhVanP_o)

The term "paper or plastic" takes on a whole new meaning. :D

quadancer
11-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Crud. My skillet takes up NO room in the T-bag, having clothes packed into it and around it. Weighs only a couple oz. - Walmart, $9. NOT in the camping section.
As one poster said, if there's an accident, there went your breakfast, dummy!

kayakinbiker
11-28-2010, 09:25 PM

I'm not eating anything out of an orange, especially when the idea comes from a guy on a pocket bike! HAHA!!!!!