PDA

View Full Version : Trangia stove

Flashdog
01-15-2009, 01:05 PM
After playing with making soda-can stoves I realized that I would be better off losing weight myself than trying to save a few pounds on my packing list. The homemade stoves work great but can be damaged way too easily. So I bought a Trangia swedish military surplus stove online. Its the design all of the soda-can stoves are based on only the burner is made of heavy duty brass. The complete kit consists of a small frying pan, a pot, windguard, and burner. To test it I made a homemade stew (3 cups) and it was boiling in under 6 minutes. 12 minutes later the diced chicken was cooked through, veggie done, and piping hot. It's 38 degrees outside! Well worth the $20 on Ebay!

Ozarkcowboy
01-15-2009, 05:07 PM
I too use one of these and also picked it up off ebay for < $10 without the pan/pot.:).It is MUCH more sturdy and with the wind guard has yet to fail me! Great for folgers singles/hot chocolate/cup-o-soup & so on...

georgeorge
01-16-2009, 10:19 AM
FWIW.. I keep my beer can stoves (2 of them) in a plastic peanut butter jar to keep them from damage. It keeps them, and all the parts, together. The stand folds up and fits in there as well. But those brass ones do look good.

bigTom
01-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Quote by georgegeorge
I keep my beer can stoves (2 of them) in a plastic peanut butter jar to keep them from damage.

There's an answer to a question I hadn't even thought of asking...Thanks George!

vt1099ace
01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
FWIW.. I keep my beer can stoves (2 of them) in a plastic peanut butter jar to keep them from damage. It keeps them, and all the parts, together. The stand folds up and fits in there as well. But those brass ones do look good.

instead of plastic how about a larger beer can (like fosters or hieniken) that double as the pot? it can hold windscreen panels (made from dryer vent) and fuel (like one of those lime shape juice sqeezies...) :cool:

Flashdog
01-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Here are some pics of the Trangia military surplus stove. Doing some research I discovered that these stoves have been in use since 1925 and have been proven on every continent. I don't think it has any benefits and weighs more than a homemade soda-can stove except for durability. Then again, thats worth $20 right there.

Ozarkcowboy
01-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Anyone tried to make a stove out of the larger beer cans? Might be fun with a lot of trial,trial,trial...and just a little error! But be careful and don't burn yourself!:D

Flashdog
01-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Anyone tried to make a stove out of the larger beer cans? Might be fun with a lot of trial,trial,trial...and just a little error! But be careful and don't burn yourself!:D
I used one of the energy drink cans with the screw top. When I get home I'll post a picture. Easier and worked better! You can use aluminum bottles too.

vt1099ace
01-21-2009, 11:44 AM

I've made 4 so far, from normal soda cans..2 pressurized 1 open side burner and an altiod stove and gave them my supervisor at work to test (he's a hiking/backpacking fan)...so far, he still has his eyebrows:D the plans/templates I got at www.zenstove.net

The pressurized are more fuel economical, light faster but require both a priming pan and pot stand
The open side burner may have a top to put a pot on, but the flame is wide and burns fuel quickly.
The altiod (made from an altoid can) is unpressurized and is like a flat zippo lighter, uses fiberglass insulation as a wick and metal mesh.

the aluminum cans are so fragile, ok to drop in the
mess kit's measure cup and pack along. but they're so easy to make and cans are everyehere!...I used 91% isopropyl alcohol for my tests as that is all I had on hand.

oh, they're sooty too, but clean up easy off the stainless steel mess kit I use.

they can boil a couples of water fairly quickly if they have enough fuel, when they start to run out they die fast....

make good boyscout project for the older kids (do to chance of getting cut on metal edges). imho

PioneerRider
02-12-2009, 12:52 AM
There's a guy on ADVRider who is making them out of aluminum beer bottles.

Trailace
02-12-2009, 06:38 AM

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting. If you have any question fell free to ask.

Dstrickland
04-10-2009, 02:25 PM
I've never seen these beer can stoves y'all are talking about. If someone could, post some pictures of one I'd like to see what this looks like.

I wonder if anyone still uses compressed fuel or the old "heat tabs" I remember using in the Army. I used to take the can the crackers and John Wayne chocholate bars came in, use my P38 to cut the sides along each rim top and bottom then fold it in to give it strength, set my heat tab in it and set my main meal like beanie weanies on top. I'd punch just two holes in the top of the meal and it would act like a pressure cooker. When juice started blooping out of the holes I knew my chow was hot.

Flashdog
04-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Go to the Zen Stoves website or just put pepsi can stove in your search bar. As for the fuel tablet type stoves, you can pick them up at almost any Army Navy store for about 4 bucks.

Flashdog
04-13-2009, 08:07 PM
There's a guy on ADVRider who is making them out of aluminum beer bottles.Here's the ones I made. You cut off the top of the bottle and invert it into the bottom. Drill your jet holes just below the where the inner and outer wall meet. It's a much more stout design than the ones I've made out of cans as the aluminum is at least 3 times thicker. One of them in the picture was was given to a friend and she used it for 3 weeks straight on a thru hike in the Cascades.

G wizz
04-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Here's the ones I made. You cut off the top of the bottle and invert it into the bottom. Drill your jet holes just below the where the inner and outer wall meet. It's a much more stout design than the ones I've made out of cans as the aluminum is at least 3 times thicker. One of them in the picture was was given to a friend and she used it for 3 weeks straight on a thru hike in the Cascades.

Flashdof:
Was wondering ... how many, and what size holes do you drill in the can?

G wizz

Flashdog
04-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Flashdof:
Was wondering ... how many, and what size holes do you drill in the can?

G wizz
24 holes 1/16"

On the bottle stoves you must first also drill 4 or 5 1/16' holes up as close as you can to the lip of the bottle prior to shoving it into the bottom. This allows the fuel to drain from the inside void to the outer wall. The heat generated by the fuel burning in the center heats up the trapped fuel and causes the vapors to come out of the drilled holes on the side of the stove.

vt1099ace
04-16-2009, 03:08 AM
I've never seen these beer can stoves y'all are talking about. If someone could, post some pictures of one I'd like to see what this looks like.

I wonder if anyone still uses compressed fuel or the old "heat tabs" I remember using in the Army. I used to take the can the crackers and John Wayne chocholate bars came in, use my P38 to cut the sides along each rim top and bottom then fold it in to give it strength, set my heat tab in it and set my main meal like beanie weanies on top. I'd punch just two holes in the top of the meal and it would act like a pressure cooker. When juice started blooping out of the holes I knew my chow was hot.

try this bit of video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY_LKCFlG6k&feature=related

George
04-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Lots of choices on the alcohol stoves. Search for Penny Stove on google for the version I use.

I like the idea of the aluminum bottle stove but I've not seen those bottles for sale anywhere. Also, looks kind'a tall.

I'll have my stoves at Devil's Den this coming weekend.

Flashdog
04-21-2009, 11:30 AM
I made the stoves that tall for capacity. I also made a smaller one by cut off half of the bottle's neck. It was about 2" tall and burned for about 20 minutes. These tallier ones burn for at least 40 minutes.

I found the bottles at Walmart.

TripleThreat
02-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Anybody know the advantages of the Hard Anodized Trangia stoves over the Ultralight Aluminum version?

Looking at picking one of these up...

Timmer
02-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Here's a picture of my ADVRider stove in action. It works great and the aluminum is more stout than a pop can. It's a nice little addition to my camping gear.

http://timmer.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/GripTwister-Olympic-Tour-2009/C2C2AMB-079/652082654_Zw9sE-L.jpg

Note to self, use protection when grabbing the handle of a cup heated on an alcohol stove.

BTW, the stove is available in the VENDOR section of ADVRIDER.COM under the topic of Alcohol Stove.

ImRubicon
02-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Anybody know the advantages of the Hard Anodized Trangia stoves over the Ultralight Aluminum version?

Looking at picking one of these up...

They wont crush as easy LOL
They normally look pretty and last longer per say due to sturdy
Also the lid will allow you to save some fuel if you are just staying in one place for more than one meal. I dont traval with mine having fuel as Im just that way
The weight difference is moot unless a couple of onces will hurt you on the bike and at that point you may be too close to max anyway

ImRubicon
02-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Oh yeah and maybe cost ?

ImRubicon
02-05-2010, 08:21 PM
never mind the cost as the Trangia is more than the stove on ADV rider site . they look pretty sturdy also so Im left with a lid to simmer and you could rig a peice of metal to half cover the ports to maybe tone down the temp.

The Trangia has a cap that lets you close it part way to simmer rather than full bore the whole time . either way will work just need to watch more on high

SidecarMike
02-05-2010, 08:49 PM
I wonder if anyone still uses compressed fuel or the old "heat tabs"

Haven't seen a tab stove in a while, but I still use this one. I should confess that I'm a yard sale junkie. My wife insists I have the sidecar so I have room to bring home my treasures.
I bought this stove with a case of 6 cans of fuel in 1985 for $2 or $3. The guy said he was getting rid of it because they stopped making the fuel cans for it. These are the ones that lose all the fuel if you remove it. A few years later I bought another case of fuel for $5. I still have 7 cans left. One can is good for nearly the entire summer.
I only use it if I'm traveling alone. If I have the camper with me, or a passenger, we bring a two burner propane Coleman.

The second photo is another yard sale treasure. It's cast aluminum. I bought it to fry fish over a campfire. I'm told it was originally marketed for the two burner Coleman. Last summer we did a communal stew in it. I started with a couple potatoes, a cob of corn, and a left over hamburger. A neighboring tenter brought over a bottle of dark beer and an onion and a third contributed a can of green beans and rib eye that we cubed. Number four had a bottle of Jagermeister for desert.
A little seasoning and we ate like kings.

BTW, that little cookset in the red bag was 50 cents at a yard sale this past summer.:rolleyes:

SidecarMike
02-05-2010, 10:51 PM
If yours is the kind that screws on to the tank, you are fine. If it's like mine, the tank is held on by the little feet, and it pierces the can. This is the fuel can they stopped making. It just has an indent in the top where it gets pierced, like the thumbnail. It is a C200 can

The new ones look like this;http://i3.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/09/a0/3224_12.JPG
I think they are C206's EDIT: I'm wrong, it is a C270 can. I just read that REI still carries the puncture type cans!

From what I'm told the older ones are still produced in Europe and are popular there with climbers. Something about not losing pressure like resealable ones do. If you put them on ebay, offer to ship worldwide.

George
02-06-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm still okay with the "penny stove". I'm finding the denatured alcohol is getting more expensive, tho. Just paid $15 for a gallon at True Value, more expensive than Coleman fuel. The Penny Stove has a simmer ring and lid, too. DMulk made one with a Seven-Up can and his Leatherman while sitting around the camp fire a few weeks ago. No need to carry a stove, there's always an empty pop can around. :D

I bought a solid pellet stove last summer at a camping store in Fort Collins, CO. Used the stove to make a penny stove stand, never used the pellets. Figured they'd make good fire starters but haven't packed'em.

canyonman
02-06-2010, 02:35 PM

those work good, so do aluminum aerosol cans (wife's empty hair mousse)P^

Mr. Guy
02-06-2010, 03:02 PM
I made a Super Cat stove a few weeks ago and it works pretty good, but no simmer ability. Great if you just need to boil water though.

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

Guy

quadancer
11-28-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm loving the pressurized soda can stoves - I use one with just 8 pinholes as my simmer unit. I'll get some photos of my setup this week on here.

Silas
07-14-2011, 12:37 PM

When I read this I went right to my empty peanut butter jar (I keep ground coffee in it) and tried out my stoves:

Whitebox stove.....it fit! But it is sturdy enough to pack even smaller.

Brasslite Turbo....diameter of stove bottom too wide.

Featherlite....too wide.

And the Trangia didn't need to be protected.

I'll keep looking for a place to store the Brasslite and Featherlite.

Thanks for the tip!!

ImRubicon
07-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Here are some pics of the Trangia military surplus stove. Doing some research I discovered that these stoves have been in use since 1925 and have been proven on every continent. I don't think it has any benefits and weighs more than a homemade soda-can stove except for durability. Then again, thats worth $20 right there.

Sportsmansguide.com had a preview of these for under $20 for buyers club members . Thats a lot cheaper than normal sales a sI see them all the time for 25 to 30 plus shipping

ImRubicon
07-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Daang they wer $17.99 and are now sold out but they will have more
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=816339#ADDTOCART

kdf9511
07-14-2011, 10:29 PM
If I could find another Mil Surp Trangia setup for less than $20.00 I would snag it. I have been using the heck out of mine since I got it. I would love to have another to pair with my Sterno stove so I can boil water in the mess kit pot while cooking in a regular pot on the Sterno setup.

I took it with me last week while car camping with the kiddos and also had the big two burner propane suitcase stove with us and ended up using the trangia and not even breaking out the propane one.

Aldawg
09-05-2011, 03:15 PM
If I could find another Mil Surp Trangia setup for less than $20.00 I would snag it. I have been using the heck out of mine since I got it. I would love to have another to pair with my Sterno stove so I can boil water in the mess kit pot while cooking in a regular pot on the Sterno setup.

I took it with me last week while car camping with the kiddos and also had the big two burner propane suitcase stove with us and ended up using the trangia and not even breaking out the propane one.

Try these (http://www.campsaver.com/spirit-stove) guys, it's where I bought mine. :)

Aldawg
01-26-2012, 03:45 PM
This (http://www.clikstand.com/) is the best potstand I could find for the Trangia. Well worth the money!:tent3:

kdf9511
01-26-2012, 06:20 PM
This (http://www.clikstand.com/) is the best potstand I could find for the Trangia. Well worth the money!:tent3:

I've seen that one before. It's nice but I've got less than 5 bucks tied up in the three diffrent ones I have right now. (Sweedish Messkit, Sterno brand stove, and Colghlens sterno stove)

Right now I'm playing with building some popcan burners so I can have multiple things cooking at the same time.

I'm still working out the whole kitchen thing as the current camping setup I have is great for car camping or when camping with the parrents and thier RV but it's a bit too big and bulky for pakcing on the bike.

iacornfed
01-29-2012, 06:47 PM
I picked up two of those Swedish mess kit stoves with the trianga burner in them off of Ebay. I paid $18 including shipping. I use one mess kit and both stoves. I start cooking with one and when it goes out I put the kit over the second burner which is already lit. Saves me time and I don't have to refill a hot stove to finish cooking. What I don't care for is the pan. It is hard to cook a steak or bacon in! The pot works fine. I also took the hard pot handle off and added an aircraft cable instead to make it lighter and quieter.

DILLIGAF61
01-29-2012, 08:26 PM
I've seen that one before. It's nice but I've got less than 5 bucks tied up in the three diffrent ones I have right now. (Sweedish Messkit, Sterno brand stove, and Colghlens sterno stove)

Right now I'm playing with building some popcan burners so I can have multiple things cooking at the same time.

I'm still working out the whole kitchen thing as the current camping setup I have is great for car camping or when camping with the parrents and thier RV but it's a bit too big and bulky for pakcing on the bike.

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm a must have link for alcohol stoves even has stencils to print out so when you drill your can all holes will be perfect

kdf9511
01-29-2012, 11:21 PM
http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm a must have link for alcohol stoves even has stencils to print out so when you drill your can all holes will be perfect

Yep....I'm looking at his designs and have printed out some of the templets.

Dusty Boots
01-30-2012, 11:11 AM

This is my current set up (minus my Mug (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/CookwareUtensils/PlatesCupsBowls/PRD~5002-345/mec-sea-to-sky-mug.jsp) & 9" SS plate (http://www.clubtread.com/forumPix/59000/59013.jpg)).

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7148/6562650873_e38e929817_z.jpg

Rear L > R - GSI Hard Anodized Double Boiler 1.1L pot with lid (fits both pots), 500ml pot, Snow Peak SS Giga Stove, 250g Giga Power fuel canister, multi purpose bandanna, plastic bowl
Middle Row L > R - Cozy, Outdoor Research Hikers Kitchen Kit, cozy lid, stove wind screen vegetable steamer
Front - Grilliput portable grill

This is a shot with the pots, 250g fuel canister, bandana and stove packed into my home made cozy

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7141/6562651047_d2d9b306f9_z.jpg

then the veggie steamer and bowl packed on top ....

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7148/6562651159_5c951a2d95_z.jpg

..... and then everything goes in the small stuff sac, making it a fairly nice neat smallish self contained package ...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7143/6562651315_a6fccfcf8e_z.jpg

rathackman
01-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Ken, Do you somehow use the steamer as a wind screen?????
Brian

Dusty Boots
01-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Brian .... I line the veggie steamer with foil and use that to hold the briquettes for using under the grilliput grill (http://www.cardinalgear.com/grilliput-grill.html). I found that it needed to sit a little closer to the grill for quicker cooking/grilling, so I would put it on top of my overturned stainless steel plate and slide that underneath the grill. Worked pretty good.
Never thought of taking any photos of it in actual use, but the option of the Grilliput gri;ll adds a lot to my meal 'options' as I can grill brats/chops/dogs/burgers or a steak, baked potatoes, onions on top of a picnic table that is covered with my tarp during inclement weather and not have to worry about finding/paying for firewood and having to cook on the fire ring/pit, if they have one.

The 250g gas canister lasts me about 2 weeks. I can save fuel using the cozy. Heat the water up to a boil and insert food into the pot, boil for another minute or two and then remove from stove and add the cozy over the pot and let it 'cook' for 10 - 15 minutes. Great for pastas/rice etc.
Also worked well for keeping the water hot for when I wanted more than 1 cup of Tea. P^

rathackman
01-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Very good ideas and setups....I like it! I have been looking for the Grilliput grill and apparently there are none in the US these days....they all seem to be backordering them and you can't order direct...dang it! I'll keep looking.
Thanks for the response Dusty...
Brian

lytle1gw
01-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Hey Rathackman I have a grilliput grill I bought last year and haven't used it one time so if ya would like to get it let me know.P^

lytle1gw
01-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Rathackman they have them in stock here:

http://www.gofastandlight.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CO-GRILLIPUT&variation=

rathackman
01-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks Gary, I looked there but they are remodeling right now and I am afraid they will be backordered there once the open again...
I would buy yours though...
Thanks,
Brian

kdf9511
01-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Right now I'm looking at two diffrent pot sets that I can get with reward points at work.
Xscape Designs 12 Pc Cookset (http://www.xscapedesigns.com/products.aspx?pid=XCK442-A) and Texsport Trailblazer (http://www.texsport.net/cast-iron-cookware-and-accessories/trailblazer-quantanium-cook-trailblazer-quantanium-p-1136.html). I just haven't done enough research on them yet.

Dusty Boots
01-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Brian .... check out the link of where to purchase it that I edited in my above post. It was the cheapest price for one I could find at the time. P^

Dusty

rathackman
01-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Dusty B, Thanks...it looks like they do have them. In the meantime Gary (lytle1GW) made me a smoking hot deal on his that he is not using....I bought it.

Kerry, it sure looks like either of those sets is pretty good. I personally only use one small stainless steel pot, which works well for my limited amount of cooking. Now that I know about the way Dusty cooks on his grill, I will likely do that a lot more often....I just happen to have a spare steamer that I can use for small twig fires under my soon to be mine, Grilliput...:tent6:

Lucky score on the point thing from work though....
Brian

kdf9511
01-30-2012, 08:58 PM
:

Lucky score on the point thing from work though....
Brian

Yea I was kind of supprised when they started this a few months ago for making monthly numbers and looked at the catalog and found some really nice camping gear and even shotguns and rifles.

After the cookset it looks like I will be trying to save up points for a new larger tent. They had some nice Keltys, Alps Mountenering and Colemans. And some from Xscape Designs and Texsport but as those are much cheeper made tents I think I will hold out for a better one.

Aldawg
01-31-2012, 11:15 AM
This thread WAS about the Trangia?

flailer
02-06-2012, 10:52 PM
hats off to Tetkoba, and all his stoves ~

the "Master" Turbo-Jets his Trangia
http://youtu.be/a9_1KffOdO4

? Alcohol Stove of the year ?
http://youtu.be/tvP74w74srU