PDA

View Full Version : Tortilla Secret

bigTom
11-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Yep. The ultimate back country secret.

Tortillas. They pack well, they last well, they work well.

I learned about them years (doggie years) ago in my cross country skiing and back packing days. They are a real adequate substitute for bread and bread products, and no where near as fragile. My favorite is peanut butter sandwich tortilla....

They are great to wrap a hot dog in (real piggy in a blanket) or sop up soup (right from the can or not) or whatever. Put a little tuna in...or I use one instead of a plate, sometimes...

There is my main camping/cooking secret. Pretty tragic, isn't it?

Mellow
11-27-2008, 08:27 AM
I grew up on Tortillas and refried beans.. You'd think I would have figured this out.

Sometimes mom makes some homemade ones and it's hard for her to keep those on a plate with me around.

Trekker
11-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Great idea! I use any kind of flat bread or other versions of "sturdy" bread (like bagels). Pita pocket breads work well too. Next trip I'll try the tortilla secret.

Black and Blue
11-27-2008, 09:50 AM
I grew up on Tortillas and refried beans.. You'd think I would have figured this out.

Sometimes mom makes some homemade ones and it's hard for her to keep those on a plate with me around.

Hey, Joe
I know what you mean. My very close friend's grandmother made the best homemade tortillas in town. When I was around she couldn't make them fast enough for me.:D

George
11-27-2008, 02:32 PM
I've been carrying tortillas for a long time, used to take a can of tuna, a little ranch dressing, 2 tortillas, ya get the idea.

I also like peanut butter and a (lengthwise) slice of banana.

Here's another tortilla trick: once the coffee is in the cup, cover the top with a tortilla while ya fry yur eggs. Keeps the coffee warm AND warms the tortilla, too. :D

Blues Traveler
11-27-2008, 05:05 PM
And for diabetics as myself there are carb balanced whole wheat tortilla's. I always have a pack along. Cheap, and they can be worked into almost any meal.

Ironheadziggy76
11-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Mmmm, Breakfast Burritos! :)

ktmmule
12-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Great for making sandwichs to travel with. Put whatever want inside, roll it up, then wrap aluminum foil around it. Travels well and when you eat it you just unwrap the foil from the top as you go and it keeps it all together without any mess.

Mr. Guy
12-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi ktmmule and welcome to the site.

Guy

G wizz
12-23-2008, 05:24 AM
When we go camping, my wife makes "personal size pizzas", using tortillas for the pizza crust.
She places a tortilla in a frying pan, covers it with pizza sauce, pizza toppings, and shredded mozzarella cheese, then she puts the lid over the pan, and heats it till the bottom is browned, and the cheese is melted.
You can add whatever it is you like on your pizza to personalize it.
Me, I like mine with pepperoni slices, ground sausage, mushrooms, and green olives.
mmmm, are these good. :)

Black and Blue
12-23-2008, 02:58 PM
When we go camping, my wife makes "personal size pizzas", using tortillas for the pizza crust.
She places a tortilla in a frying pan, covers it with pizza sauce, pizza toppings, and shredded mozzarella cheese, then she puts the lid over the pan, and heats it till the bottom is browned, and the cheese is melted.
Me, I like mine with pepperoni slices, ground sausage, mushrooms, and green olives.

You're making me hungry:D

swandog
01-12-2009, 12:54 AM
hello this is my first post here . i double wrap them in tin foil and place them between the cylnders of my 650 v strom for thirty minites or miles and they make a nice warm lunch . i also frezze them first and place them in a small 6 pack cooler bag . they keep my drinks cold and have thawed by the time is time too warm them.

Trailace
01-12-2009, 05:38 AM
Welcome swandog!

bigTom
01-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Welcome swandog!

That's some great eating ideas. I used to eat "manifold lunch" when I was a service mechanic, but it was on a V-8:)

Glad you are here.

Black and Blue
01-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Hello and welcome, swandog:) You're making me hungry too.:D

Ironheadziggy76
01-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Welcome swandog! When I put the skidplate on my 650 Strom the other day, one of the first things I thought was, I should be able to cook something in that big empty space! :p There is a lot of good info on this site, and the folks here are great. Show us a pic of the bike, we love pictures.

swandog
01-12-2009, 11:28 PM
sausage rolls are also good this way . the trick is too double the tin foil .

alekkas
04-05-2012, 08:46 PM
I agree with tortillas being awesome and easy. The more I go, the more I can count on them to go with anything. Now, I am finding small packs of a dozen for $.70. I pack several pack for a long trip. Every time you open a new pack it is fresh all over again!

Tuna and mustard are easy to keep. Need to try packing some sealed ranch dressing as mentioned above.

Sheila
04-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Mmmm, Breakfast Burritos! :)

Thats what Im talking bout! Litte hashbrowns, cheese, scrambled eggs and sausage in a tortilla... Its all goodP^

Dinkie Diesel
04-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Okay, now that I have slobber running down the corner of my mouth. I like my breakfast burrito in the fashion of a fajita with added scrambled egg. Onion, green pepper, fajita meat (sirloin), mexican (4-cheese blend) cheese and either Taco Bell or Ortega hot sauce.

I'll be putting that on the menu for Saturday morning while I'm in Arkansas!

Sheila
04-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Okay, now that I have slobber running down the corner of my mouth. I like my breakfast burrito in the fashion of a fajita with added scrambled egg. Onion, green pepper, fajita meat (sirloin), mexican (4-cheese blend) cheese and either Taco Bell or Ortega hot sauce.

I'll be putting that on the menu for Saturday morning while I'm in Arkansas!

Oh my gosh! Maybe for supper tonight!

BeemMeUp
04-05-2012, 10:44 PM

Hmm, I thought my tortillia pizzas were unique. I also like making breakfast burritos with them. I agree with the originator of this thread that they are very versatile. I stuff and roll them with thick chili and cheese, tuna, and whatever is at hand. They are a great substitute for a loaf of bread.

Sheila
04-06-2012, 08:27 AM

Ahhhh, another good idea! Thank you! Havent done much cooking while camping but am going to this year. Gotta get cookware.. light weight etc...

greybeard
04-06-2012, 08:33 AM
try adding a tablespoon per egg of Pace thick and chunky salsa to the eggs when you are scrambling them great flavor boost

JD5
04-06-2012, 08:56 AM
My little trick is to make a batch of sloppy joes and put some in a smallish tupperware and freeze. Now you've got " block ice " so ta speak. I'll pack that along with the rest of my food in a cooler , by days end I've got semi thawed joe material and using the tortillas I make .... you guessed it ........
Sloppy Jose's.

Sheila
04-06-2012, 09:17 AM
try adding a tablespoon per egg of Pace thick and chunky salsa to the eggs when you are scrambling them great flavor boost

ahhh yes!

shamue
04-06-2012, 10:01 AM
I've been taking home made burrittos on rides for years. Usually a breakfast type. Tortilla rolled with scrambled egg, sasauge or bacon, red or green chile, wrapped in tin foil. Take several for a trip and keep them in my cooler. As I get hungry, I use a small bungie cord tie it to the engine case or slip it between the cylinders to warm it up and my next stop have my warmed lunch ready to eat. Eating it cold isn't bad either.

Yep. The ultimate back country secret.

Tortillas. They pack well, they last well, they work well.

I learned about them years (doggie years) ago in my cross country skiing and back packing days. They are a real adequate substitute for bread and bread products, and no where near as fragile. My favorite is peanut butter sandwich tortilla....

They are great to wrap a hot dog in (real piggy in a blanket) or sop up soup (right from the can or not) or whatever. Put a little tuna in...or I use one instead of a plate, sometimes...

There is my main camping/cooking secret. Pretty tragic, isn't it?

1-Shot
04-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Precooked chicken, lettuce and ranch dressing in the Tortilla.
Even just pepperoni and those cheese string sticks works as a simple snack when riding.
Sometimes in the morning we toast them by holding them over the camp stove and then eat them with peanut butter and jam.

rathackman
04-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Wow, good stuff....my wife and I have a number of meals we always make while on the road and one of my favorites we call "Eggwacado"

We usually eat it as an evening meal but of course it doesn't really matter.

When riding the bike on a solo trip I carry very few kitchen items and one is a small teflon coated frypan. I start by heating up a couple torts and when warm enough I stick them between the folds of a kitchen towel to stay that way...
Then a dollop of olive oil, some chopped onion, chopped garlic, chopped fresh jalapeņo pepper and saute until where you like them. I them crack a couple eggs into the pan...maybe three at dinner and stir it up well. You could add whatever you want...sometimes I buy the slices of Spam in the foil packs and chop up some or if I have some summer sausage I use that....

At the last minute I put in some chopped avocado, chopped tomatoes and sprinkle with some nice extra sharp cheddar....let it warm that stuff up and ready to go....

I then take out a tort and wrap up a good size portion and voila! Eggwacado!

Once the eggwacado is eaten, I can usually just wipe out the pan or at worst spray it a bit with some half and half vinegar/H2O solution and then wipe....
Off to bed...

OOOps, I forgot to add that I always have a small bottle of Cholula hot sauce at hand and it goes on liberally..

Brian

ImRubicon
04-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Got to love them.
Why do the home made ones taste so much better as they are made pretty much of the same things not a lot of varying in the mixing s but home made is better

kayakinbiker
04-18-2012, 06:35 AM

Sounds good George! I use them alot too for chicken stirfry and b'fast omelette tortillas..my wok pan has gotten more use I think than any pot and pan I have.. if I ever get that ural I will definitely bring that pan with me!

DanceswMtns
04-18-2012, 07:05 AM
Thats what Im talking bout! Litte hashbrowns, cheese, scrambled eggs and sausage in a tortilla... Its all goodP^

Topped with a little salsa and sour cream for me please!!!

hardybaker
04-18-2012, 11:03 PM
A couple of Johnsonville Brats (with cheese) grilled over the campfire, add spicy mustard and wrapper the brat in a heated tortilla will do for supper or breakfast. Maybe add a green onion. Quick and easy.

Mr. Guy
04-19-2012, 06:01 PM
The jalapeno-cheddar brats are even better.

KevinL
04-19-2012, 10:37 PM
The jalapeno-cheddar brats are even better.

Dude - you're killing me... Got my tummy growlin! Don't make me have to make a midnight run to the grocery store!

beckya
05-04-2012, 02:10 PM

Try this, make them ahead of time. Flour tortillas, spread with refried beans, cheese, onions if you like or green chilies even, roll up. Take tin foil, spray with cooking spray so they don't stick. Roll the tortillas up then roll them up in the tin foil. Put them on the grill, around the campfire, etc. Good wholesome, filing and delicious. You can even bring Picante or taco sauce in a plastic bag to garnish with. All of it packs well too.

quadancer
05-04-2012, 10:15 PM
You can even bring Picante or taco sauce in a plastic bag to garnish with. All of it packs well too.

Woah, Red Flag!!! I had all the fluid contents in plastic bags I'm ever gonna pack, back many camps ago. You ever try to get that stuff off of leather?
Tupperware type containers, foil pack stuff from the soup sections, or my favorite and plentiful in bounty - used pill bottles! I keep everything from spare spark plugs to bandaids in them.
I actually wish they'd make them square, so they'd take up less room. :rolleyes: