PDA

View Full Version : NOT USED MUCH

G wizz
11-22-2008, 07:54 PM

Mellow
11-22-2008, 09:31 PM
The site is relatively small... if you took a poll of how many here have camper trailers it would be a very small group. I would guess that many with them are Wingers and hang out at wing sites - just a guess.

It would be great to see more posts from that segment of motocamping but the numbers currently don't support a lot of posting activity.

ImRubicon
11-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Wizz please post.
I dont have a camper yet but it is in the wanna have list
You could be the first to really get it going as many of us have trailers and many more would like to hear about your trips and the joys and saddness of towing a camper.
I have moved up to a Uni-Go trailer but may go larger someday. I am always interesdted in the posts about campers

Ride fun
Mike

Bipeflier
11-23-2008, 07:52 AM
We have a Wing and an Aspen Classic camper which we use on a regular basis. (33k miles on an '05). I have posted a couple of times on here, one was a review of the camper. http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1098&highlight=aspen

I have put a couple of photo albums on here also showing some of our "adventures".http://www.motocampers.com/forums/all_albums.php

A lot of folks just post when they have something of substance to share.

Get us started!

BCRider
11-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks wizz, more and larger pics would be nice!

Pete

Mr. Guy
11-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Just in case you haven't seen this:

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389

It helped me anyway.

Guy

bvail
12-06-2008, 11:10 AM
I've camped out of tents since I was a kid, and been riding street bikes since I was old enough to get a drivers license. The two just naturally came together for me. Didn't start pulling a trailer till I got a steady girlfriend that shared my traveling interests. Pulled a cargo trailer for many years, but as I got older sleeping on the ground kind'a lost its appeal. Had thought about getting a tent trailer for a while, and finally pulled the trigger on an Aspen Sentry when we planned our road trip to Alaska. We looked at quite a few tent trailers before we choose the Sentry. We were looking for something easy to set up, relatively light weight, and well made. We can set this thing up faster then we could set up a tent, which has been a blessing when we've had to set up in the rain. As for being well made, if you had seen some of the roads I've bounced this trailer over, and knew the miles it's rolled, you would agree with me that it is truly well made.
Sure, I've made some changes to it here and there, but they were my personal touches to make things more pleasant for us..
The only problem I have with the trailer is with a couple of tears in the window screens, that I wasn't sure how to repair. That is why I posted here on this forum, to find a repair that didn't look like crap.
As for our trips, we've never had a bad trip, oh sure, we have had some unpleasant things happen, we have ridden and camped in temps ranging from near freezing to over a hundred, and in rain deep enough to float a boat, but over all, the trips were wonderful.
To sum it up, we wouldn't do it if it wasn't fun. Besides it's great material for storys and memorys.

G wizz

I have the Aspen Classic. Since my wife doesn't like to camp, I probably should have bought the Sentry also. It would have been a better fit for me. Anyway, I had the same tears in my screens. They don't really bother me and I just used some GE Silicone II to repair the tears and also the little bitty holes that one gets. A schmeer of Silicone plugs the holes. I think the little round holes in the tent are probably from campground bonfire embers that float around. I usually don't have a fire, but if someone has one going nearby, there's going to be stray ashes floating about. Of course, there's also the good old standby, duct tape - never leave home w/o it.

The tears in the screens are from the material somehow dropping below the top edge of the camper body and rubbing on the fiberglas edge. Or at least that is the only thing that comes to mind. I camp alone, so I have to fold the tent up by myself. Not a big deal really. I think I will put some rubber edging (maybe like the black edging that is installed on top of the steel lawn edging. There has to be a way to keep the tent and screen away from this area (front and rear of trailer body.

BTW, there are a few trailer forums out there. If you are familiar with the Delphi forums, go there. It is the most active motorcycle trailer forum on the internet, to my knowledge.

Also, you can view my motorcycle and trailer pics at www.picturetrail.com/bvail (http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail)

p.s. How did that sticky tape screen repair stuff work out for you?

Gene McCall
12-18-2008, 09:36 PM
I will have to toss my oar into the water and say regardless of use this site helped me a great deal in the run-up to my Alaska/Canada trip last summer. I have a couple of threads I have not posted to since the summer, things have been busy since I returned home. My trip was not the usual Alaska trip in that I went on my ST1100 hack! An old friend, Don Seedsman, from Oz flew over to go with me after I had a massive heart attack in October 07. The St was perfect the entire trip, did not use enough oil to cause any to be added, never missed a beat. Our fuel mileage was not great, as low as 20 mpg and highest was 30 mpg. However if you consider the load, ST with fuel 700lbs, sidecar 275-300, camper trailer (Lil Bunkhouse with 7 gallon emergency fuel tank on rear) 400-500? and 2 old farts about 180 each. When you add it all up we were around 1800 lbs or better! We were on the road for 76 days, in or through 17 states, 10 Canadian Provinces, total mileage of 15,256 miles. We camped around 55 or better of those days, I was in the camper and Don in a tent we carried in the trailer tub, along with a lot of stuff we didn't use! We are both working on trip reports, no small task with hours of recorded notes and 3,577 pictures to sort out. I will try to add some pictures to go with this post.:usflag1:

Pic#1, in my driveway the day we left
Pic#2 our 3rd campsite in Mo.
Pic#3 our traditional "Circle" picture
Pic#4 Don at our turnaround point on the Haul Road, our northern most point
Pic#5 this was typical of the haul road, the pavement behind Don was atypical for us

Trailace
12-19-2008, 07:10 AM
I will have to toss my oar into the water and say regardless of use this site helped me a great deal in the run-up to my Alaska/Canada trip last summer. I have a couple of threads I have not posted to since the summer, things have been busy since I returned home. My trip was not the usual Alaska trip in that I went on my ST1100 hack! An old friend, Don Seedsman, from Oz flew over to go with me after I had a massive heart attack in October 07. The St was perfect the entire trip, did not use enough oil to cause any to be added, never missed a beat. Our fuel mileage was not great, as low as 20 mpg and highest was 30 mpg. However if you consider the load, ST with fuel 700lbs, sidecar 275-300, camper trailer (Lil Bunkhouse with 7 gallon emergency fuel tank on rear) 400-500? and 2 old farts about 180 each. When you add it all up we were around 1800 lbs or better! We were on the road for 76 days, in or through 17 states, 10 Canadian Provinces, total mileage of 15,256 miles. We camped around 55 or better of those days, I was in the camper and Don in a tent we carried in the trailer tub, along with a lot of stuff we didn't use! We are both working on trip reports, no small task with hours of recorded notes and 3,577 pictures to sort out. I will try to add some pictures to go with this post.:usflag1:

Pic#1, in my driveway the day we left
Pic#2 our 3rd campsite in Mo.
Pic#3 our traditional "Circle" picture
Pic#4 Don at our turnaround point on the Haul Road, our northern most point
Pic#5 this was typical of the haul road, the pavement behind Don was atypical for us

Gene, Can't wait to read your report I wish I could go on a 2 month ride. :eek:

motomac
12-19-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm sorry I can't post pictures of my Bunkhouse, they reside in my computer in Ohio and I'm in California. This is my 2nd Bunkhouse. I had a '95 for many years and watched the newer models come out with more and more inovations and in '04 bought a new one. I took both of them to AK, and several STOC events, then sold it, but will be getting it back here soon. I'll probably have it in Big Bend. It was the talk of everyone that showed up in Big Bend a couple of years ago. Joe took pictures and posted them on this board.

BCRider
12-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Gene, Can't wait to read your report I wish I could go on a 2 month ride. :eek:

+1 Gene, I too have been waiting patiently for your report. Thanks for the teaser pictures!

Pete

HarpoF6
02-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Well, its winter up here in Syracuse! Things got busy up till now so I have not been on the site lately, but have started getting ready for this season. I have to say the trailer forum has been helpful for me too... After last season with the bunkhouse, you guys have helped with your advice in preparing for next year and in helping me determine which things to get for next. Im going to go without the spare tire this time... (but got the tire rack on there...) After some weight experimentation on a long trip, I think I would like to get one of those AC dollies made up to tow the bunkhouse with.

Ive learned a few things... my wife enjoys this, but not so much on L O N G trips with alot of interstate between home and the destination- too much saddle time at once. (Gets a sore back) Unless the trip was broken up and stayed a full day or two before riding to the next location. Im learning that possibly, for camping in farther away destinations with my wife where time is a factor, I should consider a small trailer/no frills camper- get there, then ride all over. (weekender from Aerotrailers.com). For campouts without the wife, I could have gone with a smaller camper than the bunkhouse. Currently, when I campout without the wife, I bring the N-line trailer and my Hennesy Hammock. Live and learn.

slipjoint
02-16-2009, 09:37 PM
From looking over the dates on the posts on this forum, It strikes me that it isn't used much. Doesn't anyone out there that pulls a camper have anything to share with other forum readers?
I could only get one responce (thank you, fredric) to the question that I thought I'd receve a lot of replys to.

G wizz
Hi G - one reason might be because it can be very difficult to register - i just signed up & i'll tell you it took a while - i almost gave up a couple of times but i finally made it - i have a Valkyrie - been pulling cargo trailers since 1983 - have my first tent trailer on order - looking forward to getting it - spring is just around the corner here in CA - slip

gordyg
03-15-2009, 10:05 PM
I just registerd to day and had no problem. Very easy I thought. I have learned some stuff about trailers in the 10 minutes I have been registered and logged on. Thanks everyone.

Trailace
03-16-2009, 06:13 AM
I just registerd to day and had no problem. Very easy I thought. I have learned some stuff about trailers in the 10 minutes I have been registered and logged on. Thanks everyone.

gordyg welcome to the site! :D

Mellow
03-16-2009, 06:48 AM

Welcome to the site...

Ironheadziggy76
03-16-2009, 07:10 AM
Welcome gordyg!

BCRider
03-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Hello gordyg, welcome to the site!

Pete

HOGCDR
03-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Welcome gordyg!

Black and Blue
03-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Hello and Welcome:) gordyg. Enjoy the site. You'll like it.P^

Trikegypsy
03-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Another newbie to this site here. Stumbled across this site doing a search

I'm usually in a different forum that is very active for motorcycle trailering. Lots of knowledgeable folks there, too.

Mellow
03-27-2009, 06:30 AM
Welcome the the site..

Trailace
03-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Trikegypsy Welcome!

Ironheadziggy76
03-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the site Trikegypsy

Trikegypsy
03-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes.

I'm usually in GL1800Riders.com. There is a trike board there that is very active, and very knowledgable. There is also a trailer board there. Someone posted a link to this sight....hence...HERE I IS....lol.

Looking forward to this season. My first with a camping trailer, so I know it's gotta be fun.

bvail
03-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes.

I'm usually in GL1800Riders.com. There is a trike board there that is very active, and very knowledgable. There is also a trailer board there. Someone posted a link to this sight....hence...HERE I IS....lol.

Looking forward to this season. My first with a camping trailer, so I know it's gotta be fun.

Welcome to the board. This is a great camping site. You can get even more information by clicking on the link in my sig line.