PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Meals in Quart Bags

Black and Blue
08-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Here is a little tip you might find useful that I have always done when camping (be it backpacking, motorhome, or motorcycles;

I freeze individual quart zip lock bags full of my homemade beef stew at home. It acts as ice blocks in the cooler for days, keeping the other stuff cold.
You can heat it frozen in a pot at camp, or take it out of the cooler for a while to thaw out before heating.

In fact, I freeze about anything I can at home before we go...nothing like a nice steak in camp.

I also take those frozen beef (or chicken) tamales and then put them in one of those little collaspable metal steamers over a pot of boiling water.

You can burn the tamale wrappers in the campfire and toast your marshmellows over it for dessert!

Trekker
08-28-2008, 07:01 AM
Great tip!

Ironheadziggy76
08-28-2008, 09:26 AM
That's a good idea, now you've made me hungry.:D

flailer
02-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Excellent idea Black and Blue - i'ave tested this and it is way-way-way better than packing ice, into your cooler!!

i'll also freeze bottles of water, different sizes, so if there is empty space to fill i dont have to use loose ice cubes, which arent nearly as effective. (just dont fill completely full, and leave the lid off til froze.)

Sheila
02-07-2012, 08:57 AM
We freeze alot of leftovers! We just throw them in ice chest and we are good to go!
Also use 2 liter pop bottles for ice...

RCLafnjack
02-07-2012, 10:07 AM
We freeze alot of leftovers! We just throw them in ice chest and we are good to go!
Also use 2 liter pop bottles for ice...

I use liter flavored water bottles frozen. Usually I can get 3 days before I have to hunt any ice down. Also freeze chicken or Steak and pack it with the water bottles.